skateboard bike, updated photos 10-12-08

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: skateboard bike, updated photos 5-11-08

gotta chance to do a bit of work on this over the weekend, ill post pics tonight, it's gonna be hard to let this one go!! of course i say that about all of 'em! primed the stem, painted the fork, installed headset and bottom bracket bearing cups, decided on crank arm/chainring/chainring cover/pedal assembly and got most of it cleaned up, dissassembled rear skateboard rack...oora!
fast eddie outty

Re: skateboard bike, updated photos 5-11-08

frame is painted, headset and bottom bracket bearing cups pressed in
skateboardbike103.jpg

this is the rear rack from a donor bike, the flat peice of metal will be a template, im going to cut a different peice from wood to replace the flate metal peice seen here. the bent rods are alright, but one is pretty boogered up and im not sure what to do about it,
skateboardbike113.jpg

three different asseblies were taken apart to get this together, it'll be wicked cool when its done! i think the chainring cover will clean up well so ill leave it as it is, but the chain ring itself will be painted black, and i might paint some of the crank arms black and do a fade, havent decided yet
skateboardbike123.jpg

i painted fork with a metallic color, it looks alot better in person than here. i really like the look of this color and it lays down smooth and easy. the stem will be painted the same color, i masked off some of this shock fork cuz it was chrome.
skateboardbike133.jpg

Re: skateboard bike, updated photos 8-25-08

thank god for some updates!!! my bikes coming along quite nicely as well. i decided to not go with the mag wheels( i think) its a toss up between mags or a set of 72spoke chrome with the rim bein painted the same color as the bike. also eddie, what size fork are you running on it? i got all excited about this build and went to the garage and tore about the first mt. bike i could find and sanded and painted it only to remember that it is for a 26inch wheel not a 20. itll still look good but i cant use front brakes on it. so thats where im at right now with mine. gotta wheel battle royale going on in my mind and struggling to find a 20inch suspension fork! ill post pics maybe tonight brother!! bikes lookin great though man!!

Easy E

sounds like your doin the real deal easy e! when ya mix and matchin parts from other bikes its not uncommon to run into problems like what you said, thats where some rattin' comes in! ya said ya sanded and painted that fork before ya realized it was the wrong size, if ya go back on this thread you'll see i did a 'mock up' before i sanded/painted anything, that way i can make sure everything fits before i put real work into any of it. i always do a mock up first. when mix and matching forks make sure the steer tube on the fork also is the right size for the head tube on the frame, and make sure the length of the steer tube will clear the frame enough for fastening. this is where mock up comes in! the fork on this bike came off a kids bmx bike that was given to me. i like shock forks on bikes whenever i can use 'em - makes for a comfy ride and it looks cool! if there are brake bosses on a fork that arent being used for brakes then you have two spots to mount something cool that you made yourself. try big trash day for bikes, tell all your friends that you'll take their old bikes if they want rid of 'em, stop into thrift stores, and collect parts for free or pennies! gimme a holla if ya ever run into problems, maybe i can help. my email is in my signature here.
fast eddie outty

yea i did a mock up but this being my first bike build i just didnt think about making sure everything was correct. DUUURRRRRR!!!! but i guess i could run a 26inch wheel in the front and a 20 in the back and it would almost look like a chopper .........hhmmmmmmmmmmmmm..... the wheels are turning!!! (in the brain that is!!!) im so bad about posting pictures too!!! i promise ill work on that!

Easy E

i think bigger wheels on the front than on the back is a cool profile, i did that on my frank n stine bike and you'll see it on future projects of mine too. only bummer is when the bike is sitting till the front end wont sit still.
fast eddie outty

eddie! i put the 26inch fork on the front with a 26inch wheel and left the 20 in the back, man does that thing have some serious rake to it!! not really sure if i like it yet. i need to get a seat tube that bends back over the rear wheel like you have on "frank". how did u do that?

also, i heard you might be doing the frank tuesday duathlon with danimal the shitastic?

Easy E

i took seat posts to a machine shop and had them bent, i started doin that on gravity bikes and now its a cool look on regular bikes i modify. i might do the frank tuesday gig, i dont have a bike for that thing but ill prolly come out and watch at least if i can. i got some more bits painted for this bike and a few that are primed and gettin closer to paint, im anxious to have it done but the rear rack is gonna take alot of time. 26 in front and 20 in back is a pretty dramatic difference, and increased rake makes for twitchy steering sometimes. are you riding in frank tuesdays event?
fast eddie outty

what did it cost ya to have them bent? or did you just buy some piping and have them bend it? i need to check that out and see if i know anybody with a pipe bender! the different wheel set up is a tricky situation. the steering isnt too bad. as for the frank tuesday thing, dans tryin to convince me to do it but my bachelor party is that evening. and plus i dont look that good in drag! lol. anyways. i got lots still to do on my bike. im actually kinda jealous of yours cuz you got kind of a bmx style frame and im usin a 68stingray. i love the look of yours cuz its original and you dont see much like that. im still trying to look around and see if i can find a 20inch suspension fork. no luck so far. i also switched out the bars tonight from my 3foot apes to a smaller version and if i can get the right size fork then im probably gonna put my mags back on there after i get em painted the same color as the frame. god i got alot of crapola to do!!!

Easy E

Re: skateboard bike, updated photos9-1-08

i got the stem and fork done, odd thing though, when i sprayed them with clear coat the color of the metallic paint dulled dramatically. the primer/paint/clear were all the same brand, maybe it'll brighten back up when the clear dries and clears up. ive never used this color before so dont know, a learning experiance i suppose.
skateboardbike16.jpg

i cleaned up the chainring, chainring gaurd, spindle, and all fasteners and bearings. close, but not exctly what i want.
skateboardbike14.jpg

i primed/painted the chainring gaurd the same color as the stem/fork, and i painted the chain ring black. this is a little more like it! i have to wait a week before clear coating them, then another a few days to reassemble, it'll look awesome!
skateboardbike15.jpg

its comin along, i havent even started on the rack, thats gonna take a LONG time!!
fast eddie outty

Re: skateboard bike, updated photos 9-1-08

comin together niiiice!! im diggin it, very comfy to ride w/ shock fork and springer seat. cant wait to get the pedal assembly on after it all dries! not sure how im gonna dress it, i diggin the 'clean' look of it. that will change when the v-brakes are cabled up. im an advocate of reflectors cuz i do alot of night riding so im sure there will be some of those. since it has springer seat, front shocks, and v-brakes this will be a very practical and solid single speed bike to cruise around on. rear pegs will let me pick up a short distance hitchiker if it gets used as a pit bike. another use of front and rear pegs is that they keep some of the metal off the ground if ya lay it down or it falls over, like crash bars kinda.
fast eddie outty

skateboardbike173.jpg

skateboardbike183.jpg

Re: skateboard bike, updated photos 9-5-08

thank god you finally updated us on pics eddie!!! hows the rear rack coming along? i got kinda sidetracked with mine and just went for a straight fork look and finished out that way. the mtb. fork idea is sweet but i STILL cant find a 20inch one cheap enough. oh well. bike looks really sweet man and im sure it rides like a freakin dream!!

Easy E

the rear rack will be peices of flat plank cut to size/shape and glued together and they'll replace the metal peice that is currently part of that assembly. i cut one piece yesterday but i didnt like it so i trashed it and drew another...then it started raining so ill have to wait to cut it later. i cant wait to see what it'll look like w/ the pedal assembly, its freakin rad! im plannin to paint the v-brake arms, and wrap the brake lines in faux braid. grips will be simple. pedals are plain black/chrome. it wont have fenders or a chain gaurd, for some reason i just cant bring myself to put those peices on one of my builds. it'll make someone a happy rider! thanx for the compliments and post some pics of your bike elvis!!
fast eddie outty

dude i cant bring myself to put fenders or a guard on anything i slap together too! im horrible about takin pictures of everything while building. ill definately post some on here today if i remember too.

Easy E

got the grips, hand lever, and crank assembly mounted. looks like im gonna have to some work to the v-brake arms, but its comin together slowly. hopefully today i can get the rack primered, its a busy weekend so ill have to wait and see. its hard to see in the photos but the chainring is visible through the chain ring gaurd in a cool way, thats why i took the time to paint 'em different colors. still got alot peices to make for this bike, but im takin my time and makin sure i dont mess it up!
fast eddie outty
skateboardbike193.jpg

skateboardbike203.jpg

eddie you know i love this bike bro, but theres one thing id change about it, the stinkin handlebar stem is HUGE i think it might look better with a modern style goose neck or somethin other than a mtb stem, it just looks kinda outta place to me. like its too tall and pushes the bars out too far. but other than that bro this bike looks mega pimp. have you thought about paintin the mags silver? just a thought. love the bike non the less

Easy E

youre right that is a tall stem, but i thought it looked like it went w/ the shocks better than the bmx stems, i tried bmx a stem but i thought they looked like clumsy while the rest of the bike had some cool curves. i also needed some heightso that the bike would be comfortable for any adult, it still sits kinda low. i didnt get to the rack like i was hopin either, maybe during the week. i think instead of painting the mags ill make some more decortive peices in the silver to hang on the chain gaurd bracket and the reflector mounts on the mags.
fast eddie outty

actually i like that stem. i think it fits with the forks. but then, what do i know.lol

Outlaw :lol:

after fiddling with the rack that was supposed to go on the back of this bike ive decided not to put it on. the bike just looks to cool to 'clumsy it up' with a rack. i already sanded the rack, primed it, and cleaned all the rust off the rods but it just doesnt look right. ill put on a shiney new chain, dress the bike a bit, and its done! i built this to sell at swaps but ive had to miss the only ones i go to so i guess it'll have to go up on the site im building. thanx for lookin and thanx for all the compliments so far. when its complete ill post new pics.
fast eddie outty

Back