Skatepark find- 1982 Schwinn Sidewinder

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, found this one at the local Skatepark. Some dude was pushing it through the parking lot when those anodized gold wheels caught my eye as the sun shined off of them. Once I found it is a sidewinder, I bought it instantly after we went back and fourth on the price. In the end, I got a good deal. Still needs work but this is the most recent photo of it. Parts its needs is the shifter for the front derailleur, and a small part that goes on the front brake caliper (where the brake cable housing ends and that cable its self goes on through). Photo is included to show the damaged part. I have that fixed for the time being. Its a fun riding bike. Fairly comfortable.

859757_10151935439422415_594878369_o_zps4801a359.jpg

IMG_2349_zps9b88cbc1.jpg

Thanks Outskirts. I couldn't hardly believe it until I seen it up close. Still can't get over the fact that this turned up at a skatepark. Lol.

Gold Street, please let me know if you have anything. I have one other guy who has a 10 speed Sidewinder but he decided to do a 5 speed set up, so he is supposed to have the FD shifter. He's supposed to let me know if he finds it.

Will post daylight photos soon. My mom is borrowing my camera right now while on vacation in North Carolina. :roll:

Yup thats it. But mine has the derailleur, I just need the Suntour "Mighty" thumb shifter for that derailleur.

cool find! I remember when those were new :lol: fun to ride!!!

jats said:
cool find! I remember when those were new :lol: fun to ride!!!

Yeah they are. It still surprises me every time I get on it due to how comfy it is. Its a very fun bike to ride. :D

Gold Street Customs said:
Can you show me a close up of the other one, see if I have your shifter :wink:

Sure will. I'm about to go do some work on the front rim. I'll get you a photo then. :D

Gold Street,

Here are some photos of the right handed (rear derailleur) shifter. As mentioned, its a Suntour Mighter shifter. Don't care if it has some rust because Lord knows, this one does. Lol. Just want one that works well and is original to this bike :)

IMG_2406_zps80e21ee3.jpg

IMG_2407_zps75a42f2c.jpg

IMG_2408_zps7499df72.jpg

IMG_2410_zpsc67019e6.jpg

IMG_2412_zps6ff8d5a1.jpg

Back