Skip Chain Cogs!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if anyone has had any luck transplanting a vintage skip chain cog on a new hub assembly.
I am rebuilding a 40's Dayton Huffman and am trying to incorporate as much of the original as possible. The Eclipse/Morrow hub on the rear 'original' rim needs some love so I am hoping to get new rims but would like to keep the original sprocket.

Any advice would be welcome.

Mobtown Dad

Ideally I would like to take the rear (skip tooth) cog and place it on a new rim & hub assembly. Is that something that I would be able to swap out easily?

its even easier than that chief. to make it simple, grind off every other tooth on the rear cog(has to have an even number of teeth though, count them first) :wink:

I don't have all the variants committed to memory, but generally 1" pitch hub sprockets are threaded, or a permanent part of the bendix screw, while more modern hubs are almost exclusively held by a snap ring. You can do the grind 1/2 the teeth routine with a modern sprocket, or the Bendix and Model D New Departure hub wheels are still not too hard to find. There's probably a few sets in the for sale section right now. It may be your best bet to fix the Morrow, a lot of people swear by them.

you can buy a 1" pitch rear cog that will directly fit(and it even as thick as the original 1" cogs)
i know rms37 had a post that said where had them(dont know where though)....
or you can grind off every other tooth as mentioned before as well(youll just have a bit of side to side play since its about 1/8" thinner than the originals....but nothing major)

I mounted a skiptooth cog taken from a New Departure onto a Bendix 2 speed kickback. I worked in a machine shop so it was easy. I popped the cog off of the Bendix drive screw and turned the ND cog in a lathe to the correct diameter so it pressed on tight. I then brazed it to make sure it didn't slip. It's been on my '41 DX for 15 yrs with no problems. Much easier to grind every other tooth off of a 1/2" pitch cog, but if you want it done *right*... Gary
IMG_1208-1.jpg

just did this on my friend's bike. An old Huffman actually. He bought a cog to figure out how to make it work. I was thinking machine shop, lathe, cutting out centers, welding, etc. Turns out the skip tooth cog fit size for size over the top of where the cog goes on the new hub. He brought it over and I dropped a weld on each of the 3 recesses where the splines of the original cog go. Probably not the best solution if you're going to be doing any serious riding but his bike is more for show than go.
Huffmancog.jpg

Back