skip tooth hub oil?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fv2

Don't know what I'm doing, gonna do it anyway.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Two summers ago my mom said she wanted an old coaster brake bike. So I got her an old Columbia skip tooth, I need to tune it up before spring.
Problem is, I've never had a skip tooth hub before.

What kind of oil do I put in the hub, I'm pretty sure that's what the fill hole is for.

Remember, though, the purpose of that little spout is to keep the grease inside from getting hard and dried-out--you don't need to fill the hub like a crankcase. When new, I doubt owners were expected to use anything more fancy than a few squirts of 3-in-One oil.

Remember, though, the purpose of that little spout is to keep the grease inside from getting hard and dried-out--you don't need to fill the hub like a crankcase. When new, I doubt owners were expected to use anything more fancy than a few squirts of 3-in-One oil.

You're probably right about that, I'll see what kind of oil I can find.

I believe a little thick viscosity oil will stay in the hub longer - I actually used SAE 30 in my comet and a little Lucas oil treatment in my new departure hub.

3-in-1 will ruin a hub.
20w is what was originally used.
Good to know, thanks KJV.

I believe a little thick viscosity oil will stay in the hub longer - I actually used SAE 30 in my comet and a little Lucas oil treatment in my new departure hub.
Lucas Oil, there's a thought.

Latest posts

Back