skull-o sis (lights, camera, devilution! )

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: skull-o sis (rolling down the boardwalk steering vid)

Kreep said:
Just throwing it out there,I have seen some Stainless champagne flute glasses at some of my local home discount stores like Marshalls,T.J. max,Bealls. I know you are in Can. but you might have some luck checking around.I will also try to check and see if I can still find some and take a pic for ya.
-Kreep-

now thats the "out of the box" thinkin i was looking for. :)
thx.

Leroy said:
I didn't want to say anything before, because nay-saying is pretty pointless. But I totally didn't think your steering was going to work. I'm so stoked you've pulled it off. This is a killer build.

ye of little faith! :lol: ya know, for a while i was thinking the same. :)
today was a very productive day for me.
i totally finished up the seat. attached the mounting brackets, new paint and picked up the bolts needed to fasten it to the wheelie bars.
IMG_3597-1.jpg

IMG_3599-1.jpg

IMG_3600-1.jpg

i also got the bars mounted today.(even got a quick release. :) )

IMG_3608.jpg

IMG_3602.jpg

i can see riding this monster is going to take a little getting used too. its like riding a street bike for the first time. it's got that fairring dont turn with the bars kinda feel.
check out the vid.

set the proper distance on my armiture with the aid of a few lock washers(so the bars/wheel are aligned) and picked up a couple cotter pins.
IMG_3610.jpg

IMG_3609.jpg

after i remove all the metal shavings that have fallen into the bb, i'll be ready for her maiden voyage. :)

FOUND OBJECTS said:
Are those the bars you're going with? No butterfly steering wheel?

i would love to do the butterfly steering, but unfortunatly theres too many obsticals to overcome.
first and formost, i'm running outta time. i'll be heading up north soon(work) and the bike building will come to an end in a hurry. (temp of course, but till after the buildoff is finished)
now i've mentioned this before, but i can't overstate how much time i've dedicated to making this not only a cool thing to look at, but a very functional wheelie bike.
the entire build has been a fine balancing act. 6" of shoulder movement and the front wheel goes up up and away.
the problem with the butterfly wheel are as follows.
knee clearence- in order to allow room for peddling i need a good 6"to a foot under the steering.
the wheel mount itself would be nearly a foot tall. add a few inches of wheel, and well i think its gonna look dorky. too much at the back, too high off the frame. in order to do it the way i wanted to, it would require cutting the frame.
the other big issue, due to the design of the bike in general, a steering wheel that far back on the frame is gonna put this bike in wheelie mode all the time.its that forward weight on the bars that really keeps the front tire grounded.

most importantly, this is a rat rod bike build off. the bikes gotta be ratty. this ones so far from the norm, i think a few familiarities are in order. :)

i'm not set on these bars, and have been trying lots of styles/options.
IMG_3601-2.jpg

PICT0012.jpg

PICT0006.jpg

but yeah, its gonna have bar's. been thinkin bout fabbing up a set of bat shaped bars that might have that butterfly appeal. :)

Lookin real good,very impressed.I think some style of apes is the way to go for looks and function.Have you thought about a steering wheel set-up? It might give it that final touch?
-Kreep-

I dig the way that last set of bars looks on the bike. Seems like they would be comfortable and functioning with the theme.

what about a set a Z-bars or make a set of bars that is in the shape of a coffin.....

the entire build has been a fine balancing act. 6" of shoulder movement and the front wheel goes up up and away.
I can see that, coming down might be an issue though. I wonder how many hard landings it can take.
I like the color, I thought it was flat black, but now it looks like purple.
There will be a video of you riding it right?

3rd set of bars looks best in my eyes...but I do wear corective lenses :lol:

moleman said:
I can see that, coming down might be an issue though. I wonder how many hard landings it can take.
I like the color, I thought it was flat black, but now it looks like purple.
There will be a video of you riding it right?
oh i'm not worried about the landings. :) the bikes tonka tuff!
steering is independant to the shocks, so theres no force put on the steering linkage.
forks are solid, good welds and lots of em. not to mention with the forks out so far, theres lots of flex, the spring really does its job. frames been beefed up witht he aid of the welded ribs and wheelie bars.
built to last!
i did take it out for its first voyage today. i'm gonna say complete failer. lol its squirrly as heck!
i learned a couple things. 1 i need shorter cranks for such a squirrly bike. :)
2 can you say steering dampeners. :)

not to fear, this was something i was expecting and i have just the remedy on hand.
some of you might recall the 48 in 1 classic video game robot i built last year.
IMG_2578.jpg
if ya look close, you see my soon to be steering dampeners. :) (high pressure gas shocks)

i don't know why i have them, or what they are for.
my good budy trevor (the groom pictured on page one of this thread) works at a high class hardware store. they sell door handles,lighting,hinges etc.

for some reason 2 years ago, he brought them down from toronto figuring i could use them.
guess he was right cause this is the second time now.

they seem to require some force to compress (60lbs). i figure i'll compress them 1/2 way and mount one on each side of the forks.

with the crazy 360 swivel on each end, they'll offer both steering and landing dampening.
PICT0015.jpg

not to mention they'll look cool as heck!
PICT0013.jpg

oh and i think i found my set of bars.

didn't have to look any further than the original bars for the bike.

i also vote for Z bars

good choice with the original bars...........
but if you ever decide to change them z bars would definitely suit the bike......

looks awesome! i think z bars would look pretty sweet! :D

Re: skull-o sis (name pending)

KOTA said:
For all you "new" guys...Just to let ya know...When you think Icy is DONE, he'll take it to the next three levels.........Just when you think he can't go farther, he'll keep going and going. :lol:

Buddy, you don't know the 1/2 of it!
Leigh's been humbling me for years!
I used to think I was pretty artistic, creative, innovative....all that good stuff....turns out I was mediocre at best. :oops: but at the same time, I thank Leigh for humbling me, because it just pushes me to try and take everything I do to the next level, as well. Or 3 if Leigh's around. :wink:

"Icy", lol
The Bike's looking ridiculous!!! (in a good way, of course!)
I can't wait to bust some mad wheelies on it! And probably some elbows, too. :D

Cheers!
Craig

Re: skull-o sis (name pending)

Fugly Ucker said:
KOTA said:
For all you "new" guys...Just to let ya know...When you think Icy is DONE, he'll take it to the next three levels.........Just when you think he can't go farther, he'll keep going and going. :lol:
Buddy, you don't know the 1/2 of it!
Leigh's been humbling me for years!
I used to think I was pretty artistic, creative, innovative....all that good stuff....turns out I was mediocre at best. :oops: but at the same time, I thank Leigh for humbling me, because it just pushes me to try and take everything I do to the next level, as well. Or 3 if Leigh's around. :wink:
"Icy", lol
The Bike's looking ridiculous!!! (in a good way, of course!)
I can't wait to bust some mad wheelies on it! And probably some elbows, too. :D
Cheers!
Craig

too kind budy, besides, 1/2 the time your egg'n me on to go bigger and better.
(folks, thats my budy craig. the man with the tig and the talent.)
i wondered when you were gonna show up.
(craig's been a key part of a lot of my projects both bike and non bike related)
some of you have probably seen his sweet squareback also (really dig that car)

so back to the squirrly bike!

well the girls outta town again, so i'm back to late night building in the living room. woohoo!
i told you the maiden voyage was a complete bust. (bike rides, but scary as heck when not in wheelie mode!)

i'm gonna throw 3 bandaids at the problem.
bandaid #1
i mounted the high presure gas shocks to the fork. (one on each side)they were hard to depress when they where not on the bike, but with one on each side they offer very little in the way of resistance. that being said, they do slow/smooth out the steering.
skullosis003.jpg

skullosis013.jpg
bandaid # 2
i've started fabricating an "on the fly" steering tensioner using the old parts from the exercycle tensioner.
skullosis012.jpg

bandaid #3
i'm gonna slice the top of the brass insert just like the seat post tube.
with the aid of the quick ajust seat clamp from the exercycle, i'll be able to ajust presusre on the steer tube (on the fly).
with these 3 modifications, i'm positive i can get the steering under control.
skullosis001.jpg

couple other developements with the build.
exercycler sprocket, not gonna happen (unless i chop the frame)

and i've been reduced to using this crappy web cam. the contacts on my camera battery have worn right through to the board. i'd take a pic, but the crappy web cam doesn't have a macro setting. :)

bighit said:
i expect nothing less. :wink:

just for you bud!

i didn't realize fabing custom bikes would envolve so much sewing. so once again my secret is out.
might as well buy me a pink dress. :D :lol: :D :lol:
started the chute/chute pouch
picked up some heavy canvas and used a cd case to make a pattern (couldn't find my ruler)
skullosis019.jpg

just like making paper planes.
skullosis020.jpg

added a few grommets
skullosis023.jpg

and stitched up the sides.

also located some yellow canvas strapping in the basement.
doubled it over and stitched 8 leather strings inside.

the yellow canvas will attach the chute to my bike, and the grommets will support the
quick release draw string that will pull the chute.

skullosis026.jpg

PICT0004.jpg

more to come, i just gotta get some chute material!

Gold Street Customs said:
That looks like a wild ride for sure hope all your improvements pan out, the shock factor of riding this downtown has to be off the hook :mrgreen:

yup, sure would hate to be walking down the side walk, turn around to see some crazy guy pulling a wheelie on a monstrosity of a bicycle such as this. :)

Re: skull-o sis (bust'n out the girly skills. :) )

Wow, wow, wow, ubercool!

When the time comes to post it in the finished bikes section, a static photograph wouldn't do this bike justice,
there has to be a movie!
at least 15 min. to show off all the tech and action this bike is capable of.

Re: skull-o sis (bust'n out the girly skills. :) )

badmuller said:
Wow, wow, wow, ubercool!

When the time comes to post it in the finished bikes section, a static photograph wouldn't do this bike justice,
there has to be a movie!
at least 15 min. to show off all the tech and action this bike is capable of.

will ya settle for a hole in my backyard, tombstones, creatures of the night, fog machines and gel lighting?
if that don't do it for you the super sexy elvira sure will. :lol: :lol: :lol:
and here i am giving away all my secerts. :shock: good job i like you guys. :lol:

video editing is not my forte. but if i can get some help, i'd really like to edit a vid
to something like the extended version of
fish_black-1.gif
built my hotrod (censored of course)

edit-ha ha ha i didn't realize you can't say
fish_black-1.gif
on the forum. too funny!

Back