skull-o sis (lights, camera, devilution! )

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: skull-o sis (name pending)

thx guys.

i think this has been one of my funest builds to date, lots of issues to deal with and plans to change. its really kept me on my toes.

having one heck of a time, and i can't wait to see how the bike will be recieved by the puplic in my home town.
its amazing the range of reactions custom bikes fetch. from those who truely despize the effort to those who seem more excited about the build than i do.
can't wait to get this one on the street. the looks on peoples faces when riding a custom built bicycle, are 1/2 the fun of the build. probably a little more so when its outta the norm. :)

It's coming along great!
I guess with two steering rods it might be hard to steer without a hang up...Way to think it through!
I would have thrown it on then figured it out :lol:
Was it just the paint on the speedo you had to redo?
How's the steering wheel coming?

icyuod2 said:
1. first draw your image on a piece of paper. (if your not artistic, your computer monitor acts just like a light table making tracing easy)

2. place the paper on set painted item (image side up)

3. with a ball point pen, trace over your lines.
the pen will make an impression in soft paint (dry but not fully cured) i did this 5-6 hours after painting the parts with krylon. (if your heavy with the paint, you'll have to wait a little longer)

from there its just like a coloring book, just stay in the invisible lines(impressions)

i used 1 shot and a 000 and 00 artist brushes (actually for acrylic)
IMG_3310.jpg

that's brilliant. :mrgreen:
now i'm going to have to do it :?

FOUND OBJECTS said:
Was it just the paint on the speedo you had to redo?
How's the steering wheel coming?

yeah, i cut this bracket off to mount the speedo flush in a face plate. it was spot welded inplace. i manage to grind the bracket off without any damage.

trouble was, when i tried to patch the paint, i was left with visible line between the old and the new paint.
so back to square one. :)
10mvnth.jpg

IMG_3460.jpg

hubgearfreak said:
that's brilliant. :mrgreen:
now i'm going to have to do it :?

i'm glad to hear it's gonna come in handy. looking forward to seeing what your new found knowledge will produce. :)

lookin good! :D too bad you had to start over though.

stretch said:
too bad you had to start over though.

oh no,your looking at it all wrong, i'm just refining my skills, not starting over. :lol:

to be quite honest, i usually paint things a couple times. i like painting.something i've done most of my life. lots of times i'll strip the bike, apply color with every intention of repainting. often the paint helps with the vision for the build. (i tend to stare at my bikes alot during the build)
its one of the main reasons i use krylon flat black for most of my bikes. spot repairs are easy to do. its very difficult to detect the paint repair even if your spot painting a bike that ya painted a year or two prior.
i can paint my builds, grind/scratch/chip the paint in the build process and give it a quick final coat.
the repairs are seamless, and you'd never know.

Gold Street Customs said:
There is a reason why I don't follow the builds like I should, this one wants to make me throw in the towel and take up stamp collecting :shock:

what ever! i've seen your bikes, i know differently :lol:
my bikes wouldn't be nearly as cool if i hadden't found this place. found a lot of inspiration here on the forum, your avitar bike included.

since there seemed to be an interest in transfering images, i snapped a couple pictures.

here's what it looks like after the image you have drawn, is traced with a ball point pen. (i usually hold the image with 2 fingers, but tape will work if your paint is dry enough.) again i use krylon for the base colors due to the super fast dry time. (usually wait 5 hours to trace an image.)
IMG_3472.jpg

then its just filling in the lines.
IMG_3485.jpg
when its dry, a nice thick black outline to hide any mistakes.

tried pulling paint for the very first time. no practicing, just jumped in with both feet. (i do have a lot of brush time, just never pinstriped)
so here's my very first attemp at pulling paint,ever!
started with something very simple.
IMG_3489.jpg

i couldn't be more pleased for a very first attemp.
figured if i messed up, it wasn't a large piece to wire wheel and start fresh.
IMG_3494.jpg

proud as heck i am. i can see pinstriping consuming a lot of my time in the future. (to improve)

Nice pinstriping....Karfer who... :lol: he'll get me back on that one I'm sure...seriously a year or two ago who could have told you that you would be doing things like this ? Its kinda like building models...except you get to drivem, instead of collect dust on the shelve.

Gold Street Customs said:
Nice pinstriping....Karfer who... :lol: he'll get me back on that one I'm sure...seriously a year or two ago who could have told you that you would be doing things like this ? Its kinda like building models...except you get to drivem, instead of collect dust on the shelve.

when ya live in the great white north, they still collect dust for 6 months of the year. :)

great lines man, karfer has some competition! :p

u got skill i tell people all the time i am not that good. and i dont do art like what you are doing on this bike keep it up.

karfer67 said:
u got skill i tell people all the time i am not that good. and i dont do art like what you are doing on this bike keep it up.

you guys are all so hard on yourselves. ya seem to forget, i've been hanging around here for a couple few years, and i know ya got skills!

greatest bunch of fabricators i know.

humbleness is rarely seen anymore and this site has a good bit of it, its great.

icyuod2, your art is very nice, i just in the last few months have started to lay lines and it is a giant SOB but so much fun, i find it almost therapeutic. Your way of doing the images is great, i will have to get some paint on my hands soon and try it. Beyond all skills, your attention to detail and all the little stuff really make it stand out. Cant wait to see this finished! keep it up.

I'm not a member that long and I can tell that you guys have skills!
I guess your builds are what made me join here in the first place.
To be able to reach a point, to live up (not even match), your kind of quality and creativity.
From a "starter" to a veteran, I say, thank u!

hey guys i appreciate those kind words. honestly, thank you.

with all the fantastic builders on the forum, i often forget we have novice builders. the talent pool is just off the hook.

myself, i don't have a lot of power tools. most of my fab is done with a dremel, $30 angle grinder and up until recently a $30 drill (and of course a friends welder)

ya learn to make do, one project bleeds into another and you constantly draw on old knowledge from previous projects. before long all those little tricks and tips ya learn, manifest themselves in something cool.

well heres another little trick for those without the proper tools.
today i started my dash panel. i needed to cut a 3" hole, but i don't own a 3" hole saw.

so with a 1/8" drill bit, i made lots of holes close together along the perimeter of the hole i wanted to cut. (smaller than the 3" i needed)
steped up to a larger drill bit and repeated.
small carbide burr in the dremel for any holes that didn't connect
and wham bam thank you mam, a 3" hole.
IMG_3504.jpg

a dremel sanding drum will clean up the hole lickety split!
IMG_3507.jpg

i know most of you pro's propably have used this technique in the past, but i'm sure it will come in handy to somebody.

btw shapes can be cut the same way, just as easily.

Yeah...I've got about as much as you on the tool end.
See, I would have thought you had a huge tool box...
Much respect!

Back