skull-o sis (lights, camera, devilution! )

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: skull-o sis (name pending)

not a lot on the updates. been pretty busy.

got the ribs all welded in place and mounted the speedo bracket.
IMG_3511.jpg

all that welding has generated a little more painting. :)

had this great idea for a shifter (still have to lace the 3 speed hub)
a friend of mine works at a local foundry.
the mold was made using a $1 store halloween bone.
problem is, i think its been cast with iron. (i get what i get)
its heavy as heck, and imagen it would shift gears under its own weight.

not sure if i'm gonna use it. i might cut it short and attach the end of the bone to a stainless rod.
well see what happens.
IMG_3509.jpg

AWESOME!
With a little engineering...
that bone would be a nice stem or head tube...
or if he can make them longer just super rad frame tubes.

icyuod2 said:
not a lot on the updates. been pretty busy.

got the ribs all welded in place and mounted the speedo bracket.
IMG_3511.jpg

all that welding has generated a little more painting. :)

had this great idea for a shifter (still have to lace the 3 speed hub)
a friend of mine works at a local foundry.
the mold was made using a $1 store halloween bone.
problem is, i think its been cast with iron. (i get what i get)
its heavy as h***, and imagen it would shift gears under its own weight.

not sure if i'm gonna use it. i might cut it short and attach the end of the bone to a stainless rod.
well see what happens.
IMG_3509.jpg

"I see a bone for a shifter" Ugh oh am i predicting the future. Awesome job this is my favorite of all the builds.

I told you guys.........He's gonna keep going and going........Think he's almost done? ( I DOUBT it) :lol:

stretch said:
hollow it out, man. :D

no vice, no drill press, no bit large enough. thats a much bigger task than i'm prepared to take on. lol
i'm not sure if its cast iron or tool steel, but its hard! darn near grinding disk proof. lol (seriously its hard) i'm sure any attemp to hollow it out without a vice, would result in the loss of digits. :(

i have some idea's though, and theres a possiblity of an alum replacement. :)

so new developments.
discovered a new product today (not new, just new to me)

rust tough by krylon (using flat black)
its an enamel paint.

now i haven't done any long term tests, but heres what i can tell you.

the clerk at the sherwin williams store (sherwin makes krylon) told me its a much better option for bicycle frames.
fast drying (touch in 30 min's instead of 12 like the normal krylon) handle after 3 hours.
this enamel paint applies like every ther krylon i've used. i noticed no difference. very fine mist, easy to get smooth coats. it is a little more prone to runs, so numerous thin coats are suggested.
seems much tougher than krylon. (after 1 hour dry time, i took an angle grinder/wire wheel to it.) it offered more resistance than cured krylon fusion (on bare metal-no primer)
i've got a feeling, this ones a winner. :)
IMG_3518.jpg

sounds more expensive. cant it beat my 97 cent can generic from home depot? :p

stretch said:
sounds more expensive. cant it beat my 97 cent can generic from home depot? :p

well thats a tell tell sign you live in the states. ain't nothin for $0.97 in canada. lol the tax costs ya more than that. :)

just for the record, until now, i've never come across a can of enamel that i liked. i find most either spit and sputter out paint at the most in-opertune times or there difficult to get a nice smooth layer of paint without runs.

the rust tough is nothing like that. (just like spraying the fusion)
i also found out its compatable with the fusion (no adverse effects spraying over krylon paints)

so huge development with my build. i cut my frame. now this is an unusual frame even for rrb standards.

i'm of the firm belief that i've done nothing different than cutting the seat post. i haven't changed the geometry, just remove useless excess (like you would a brake tab,seat stem etc) i don't want to cause problems, break the rules or turn this fine buildoff into a debate.

if the powers that be (you fine competitors and of course steve and any other judges) say i've broken the rules, so be it. i won't argue, that will be the end of it.

i do however believe i'm following the rules and spirit of the build off. long and short of it, it was in the way and had to be removed. i thought about bending it, but that seemed to me to be frame modification.

so the bikes been repainted with the krylon rust tough.
i painted the forks flat black this time around. i just think it looks a little rattier. i don't like rusty bikes and had to do something to maintain a rat feel. for the same reason i'm seriously considering going back to the ape hangger plan. it also makes the hand painted items really stand out.

heres some pic's
IMG_3523.jpg

i also got the speedo mounted
IMG_3525.jpg

IMG_3532-1.jpg

icyuod2 said:
stretch said:
hollow it out, man. :D

no vice, no drill press, no bit large enough. thats a much bigger task than i'm prepared to take on. lol
i'm not sure if its cast iron or tool steel, but its hard! darn near grinding disk proof. lol (seriously its hard) i'm sure any attemp to hollow it out without a vice, would result in the loss of digits. :(

i have some idea's though, and theres a possiblity of an alum replacement. :)

so new developments.
discovered a new product today (not new, just new to me)

rust tough by krylon (using flat black)
its an enamel paint.

now i haven't done any long term tests, but heres what i can tell you.

the clerk at the sherwin williams store (sherwin makes krylon) told me its a much better option for bicycle frames.
fast drying (touch in 30 min's instead of 12 like the normal krylon) handle after 3 hours.
this enamel paint applies like every ther krylon i've used. i noticed no difference. very fine mist, easy to get smooth coats. it is a little more prone to runs, so numerous thin coats are suggested.
seems much tougher than krylon. (after 1 hour dry time, i took an angle grinder/wire wheel to it.) it offered more resistance than cured krylon fusion (on bare metal-no primer)
i've got a feeling, this ones a winner. :)
IMG_3518.jpg

Might I recomend http://www.por15.com product I love and have used! A bit pricey but well worth the cost.

eh you dang canadians and yer special bacon. :p bikes looks good, glad that paint works out for ya! i like the cheap stuff cuz if it gets nicked, i just touch it up with more.

this is my other fav bike and one pushing the rules. i am Switzerland on that mod u did i agree it looks better i will let poor steve ring in on it i am sure he has already gotten pms. lol keep it up and i love the black by the way

karfer67 said:
this is my other fav bike and one pushing the rules. i am Switzerland on that mod u did i agree it looks better i will let poor steve ring in on it i am sure he has already gotten pms. lol keep it up and i love the black by the way
The frame geometry hasn't changed...it's all good :)

karfer67 said:

always thought the center of the road was the safest place to walk. :)
besides its just a reflector bracket. :) :lol: :D :roll:
IMG_1165-1.jpg

this buildoff has never been about winning for me, just building a cool bike with what i have.
if the powers that be say i have to bow out, i'll do it gracefully.

my life has entered that crazy busy time i mentioned, i'll be lucky to get it finished.
IMG_3529.jpg

Looking great! Yeah people get crazy when their in a "competition". They don't see the beauty of why there is a build off in the first place. As a judge (when I cast my vote at the end) I know who hasn't followed the rules and I also know who has pushed the envelope. Your already known as one of the best builders in my mind even without a "Competition" being held. It's all good! Keep up the great build.

I agree seems to fall into seat posts can be cut etc. I changed my dropouts which just allows me to adjust my now SS chain.Oh this build is fantastic! but I'm gettin anxious to see the steering done..

Heck. You could put it in "finished' bikes NOW, with no drive train, or steering or seat............I'd vote for it.

you guys are all too kind, i'm just keeping up to the jones's. :)

i'm not looking forward to voting time, i have so many faves.

so heres the reason the steering isn't finished.
gotta dispose of mount everest (the old steps) then build a fench and deck.
i figure i should be back at the bike in a couple of days. steering is the next focus.

IMG_3532-2.jpg

Back