Sleeper: 1992 Giant ATX 760

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This is my bike that has people scratching their heads when a 70 year old keeps up with the kids on steep climbs. The secret is light weight (26 pounds) and a gear inch of 14.1 in low but is plenty fast enough with a tripple chain ring to keep up on the road parts of our group rides. Everyone just sees it as another one of my junky old bikes and they don't look at the components that make it a sleeper. The next modification will be a carbon seat that will shave another pound off the current jell seat. I paid $25 for it but I have another $400 in new parts. You can't put a price too high for a "joke" bike. I enjoy fooling everyone.
IMG_0590.JPG

Carbon fiber bars, chromo stem.
IMG_0591.JPG

New chain, freewheel and derailleur. Freewheel low gear has 5 more teeth than the original.
IMG_0592.JPG

Hans Dumpf 26 x 2.35 tires that measure 27 inches outside diameter. They just fit between the chain stays. It took quite a bit of adjusting to get the brakes to clear the fat tires but once they were dialed in they work better than ever.
IMG_0593.JPG

New crank, BB and and tiny 20 tooth chain wheel. The crank is modified to accept the 20 tooth chain wheel. Magnesium pedals.

IMG_0595.JPG

Full double butted Chromo and butted fork. Very light for a steel frame.
IMG_0596.JPG

Last edited:
Back