some issues i am having with my wifes bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
well my wife's bicycle and my latest big score is having some issues I cannot figure out.
the first is the steering I have regreased the bearings and cleaned out the dirt and when I tighten the bearing seat down( I think that's what it is called the round piece on the headset underneath the big washer lol) the steering gets tight.
I haven't noticed the forks being bent and I even swapped the bearings still too tight when I tighten the bolt
any ideas on this?
the second problem could be related but im unsure of
when I ride the bike it wants to pull to the right which I figured was an alignment issue but after inspection I did not see anything out of alignment it almost causes me to dump and I am a very skilled rider ( when im sober lol ) my wife already fell off it which is why I checked it out
I am hoping the issue isn't where the frame was repaired at one point it looks like it was repaired correctly and it is on the top tube, but I do not know if this could affect the alignment.
any ideas how to fix these or check any specific areas that might be causing this?
thanks
Sean

Caged bearings in the headset? Sounds like you might have one or both installed upside-down. That will definitely cause binding. Remember, the open side faces the cup--the closed side faces the cone.

problem solved I took the entire front end apart cleaned everything regreased everything and reassembled everything and its working great it doesn't even pull anymore
and yes I had the top bearing in backwards :headbang: so yes that was definitely part of the problem she runs like night and day now
thanks for the advice all
sean

Latest posts

Back