Some scores/Upgrades/Stuff

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man when I went or pick up the frame I couldn’t believe my eyes. It was perfect!
Truly at master at his craft, awesome hombre to talk to as well.
My new roomie is a very talented welder and as soon as he's established more at his new place of employment, I'm going to see if he can do something similar with the '59 Schwinn frame I have with the same issue. I had someone try to help me with crank gouges on the '40 Schwinn BMX and they didn't adhere to a couple of my requests. Normally I just get a fabricator to fill the holes and let me do the finish work, in which a hand file is used to flush everything up on the stays properly.

Really dig it !

Repair work is so clean, as has been mentioned.

I do however think the front end is crying out for a springer of some kind...

I like your bikes!

My new roomie is a very talented welder and as soon as he's established more at his new place of employment, I'm going to see if he can do something similar with the '59 Schwinn frame I have with the same issue. I had someone try to help me with crank gouges on the '40 Schwinn BMX and they didn't adhere to a couple of my requests. Normally I just get a fabricator to fill the holes and let me do the finish work, in which a hand file is used to flush everything up on the stays properly.

He told me he only does industrial and residential work, but he’ll give it a shot. And honestly I thought I was going to get a “good enough” weld job and I’ll do some of the filing down myself. Boy did I underestimated his skills!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really dig it !

Repair work is so clean, as has been mentioned.

I do however think the front end is crying out for a springer of some kind...

I like your bikes!

I like a springer fork if it was already on the bike. My style is more BMX-y cruiser, but I wouldn’t pass up on a JC Higgins beehive fork if I ever came across one.

Little before and after on my ‘57 Schwinn. More pictures and info on the 26” BMX Cruiser threads.

40158c606ffe207de3fa02feda692eeb.jpg

cea6ca412fc94af1833326ff747173e2.jpg

I picked up this nice Schwinn Speedster for really cheap yesterday. Seems pretty complete and original.
038aadd996e94b30b3319151de7120fe.jpg

On my way to pick up the Speedster I spotted this Murray cruiser next to the dumpster and some other scrap metal.
It should clean up nicely and will be an easy flip as well.
8983d200939c66c6babb8f0347176660.jpg

The Murray cleaned up nicely. I might just keep it as my camping cruiser.
Serviced all the bearings, scrubbed off some of the rust with foil paper, hit the frame with a Brillo pad and some dawn. Topped it off with some boiled linseed oil and added some beater tires.
00930a3d1717323e314c68a16c349da6.jpg

Last edited:
A couple of small scores. I hardly ever buy non flanged grips, but I couldn’t pass up on the Santa Cruz grips and the Vans grips by ODI, they have a cool checkered pattern on the lock rings.

$20 for both sets!

3d187002d8611fe9bbfd97a31b1d930e.jpg

Last edited:
Over the weekend I picked up this complete repainted fastback. Of course I’m going to eventually swap it over to a BMX cruiser with a coaster, just need to sacrifice a fork first to fit its small headtube length.

Picked it up as is minus the stem and bars.
It came complete with all its 5 speed gearing and brakes.
d4152bd6e03a20c67f306f2ebcca9ddc.jpg

7655fedc72197d9bd2278f34ab76edbb.jpg

Anyone know what type of bearing set up this is? I’ve never seen it before. Came off my 72 camelback.

The bearings top cover goes over the race and bearing. There’s not bearing cup.

2907c29177fca5f1d790a7b09b16298c.jpg

15b1cb5ff01fd9b604515c63a6e3b63d.jpg

Anyone know what type of bearing set up this is? I’ve never seen it before. Came off my 72 camelback.

The bearings top cover goes over the race and bearing. There’s not bearing cup.

2907c29177fca5f1d790a7b09b16298c.jpg

15b1cb5ff01fd9b604515c63a6e3b63d.jpg

It’s a Schwinn ‘deluxe’ headset. Found on several models through the years. Similar style head set would become popular in the later 80s on mountain bikes. Cool thing about them (to me) is they have a lower stack height. So say you have a fork that’s like 1/4” too short with a normal headset, you can run one of these and get the top washer and nut on just fine.

It’s a Schwinn ‘deluxe’ headset. Found on several models through the years. Similar style head set would become popular in the later 80s on mountain bikes. Cool thing about them (to me) is they have a lower stack height. So say you have a fork that’s like 1/4” too short with a normal headset, you can run one of these and get the top washer and nut on just fine.

Sweet! Thanks a bunch.

Latest posts

Back