Somet Hingo Rother

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's because the only stairs we have lead to the attic...

AM-JKLWKOyD_eNqjTkhcMKXoekjbYm4f53a5VNzCyJmcOWvjalNG112fMS2TIx0rNtHQZ96YeV2fIpzxEZ9u7KcLM0H2DWZ8cEE-FlkaIebr1kD3UPos4W8hU6FkSxAbob2gG0WQ4K8FtIf7aF4_jJom4QUvFQ=w538-h955-no

... and are more often used as shelves ;)

I married a school teacher as well. (It’s amazingly, common here, and three of my associates married teachers while the fourth married a nurse.)

She taught English and arithmetic to immigrant kids for 32 years. She’s going to come chase me around on her bicycle right now.

Last edited:
I have heated it once, but using a flame rather than putting it in the oven as our oven does not work at the moment... It is all a bit of an unknown as I have not found any pictures of it disassembled at the moment ;)
So possibly it is not threaded?

By the way I didn’t mean to bake it in your kitchen oven. I meant to bake it in an old tin stove out behind the barn with a torch or something on the barbecue.

It’s going to be well over 100°F today so I won’t be lighting our oven indoors at all.

It is 90F in the boat yard at 10:30 AM, And I am cooking spokes in the desert sun.

27CDAF25-7706-4B00-837B-F3349DBE83D2.jpeg

Ha ha, that is true, I haven't really done much on it since late winter, so doing them on my BBQ didn't come to mind ;)

Yes, it is true that it might not be threaded, it is a question I mean to ask of those who have videos of stripping the hubs, unless they are too busy with the situation in Ukraine.

I don't really know, it all depends on how old the wheel was. If it was from the 1960s then there is a chance that Polish bikes also used the same design, which means I may still find parts.

Alternatively, I could just slide a later design of hub into the hub tube, which I plan to try out next.

This bike seems to be a case of a lot of small steps to get somewhere slightly elsewhere from where I began.

After a lot of sorting, this is the seat I have chosen for the job. I do have one decent seat I could use, but it is in Lublin and I do not know when we will next visit. It's the summer, it's better in the countryside. At the moment our niece and her husband are wrapping our house in polystyrene sheets, while our neighbour, who happens to be distantly related to my wife, is rewrapping his house in glass fiber wool - but he does not stay there through the winter.

Anyway, the seat I have chosen is a classic Romet piece, wrapped around the same base as I have been using as a saddle, but it is the smallest version that I have got. Romet seems to have used a single plastic frame on which they blew a lot of different size seats. Anyway, decades have passed since it was new, and it does have a few cracks and holes in the foam.

AM-JKLXxU5Wjx8TtsPXQLhXZKNTw-1lEC5z0zbi5HFxvVoo12_noV2cTUudgWpQxwb4_gGlIMlXd_xaFuAHSpwCHaJxrKzWsHpIj8nRqszAt9Gf4FEHM9s0uUyLeoZWzQZEwnasRClJEH83ZOsAMglQL8MhVbw=w1096-h955-no

You can see here some of the holes in the rear.

You can also see the material that we bought to cover the external cellar that we have in the yard, and I also used the same material to cover the seat for my winter build.

AM-JKLUN949oQkhNKiqOdnwZLFlFcn_Idc3cnY0GOzQngTMlTYyrhuYYRAZqrzbPYlWvsze3Th3QuKNiswD0cSsOGGEZAyeqkFxZUbnVTJbABk6rVCUSbi93ncP4Qfo4Biw9Ih1m7Hm-ryWshAG_qTsBN4dQ6Q=w788-h955-no

Anyway, here are some of the things that make living in the countryside much better than in the city.

This is the local Lublin beer, and the carrier we bought so that the bottles do not roll around in the car or even the bag. No more empty bottles falling over or getting lost, and we always know how many we have got left.

AM-JKLUY78B9ljjpPlD0EXrAK5JQW35niRbuLucbES8lfi-1I4J5JpqCqjRC9MueGllvKfvzrj0a3AtkzlclaDbHjcmnCG6RbVf0pNceQ35x-rfzyefJc4b2TIK_U2FYpSBTYQBmPFGhXZOA-ce9-bEb9W_EXw=w857-h955-no

Our neighbours invited wifie over to pick the blackcurrants. I remember that when my mum picked fruit for a local farm, they didn't put plastic sheets down on the ground like you were picking olives, but it works. Anyway, the fruit goes into the top section, while water goes into the bottom section and the juice goes through the holes into the middle section - and then exit it from the pipe on the left. It is a good way of getting the juice out of many types of fruit.

AM-JKLVFanfvjucb_JrwIAykeC4hL6Zp2g5YWrBrFQWnYwoF0SdJoABj5GRNVEiEiguS_LXbNJU7yTZwPDPPlYTYRfdjK5cQVShqcDZgGvkvS05YeXboP-OwkiD3wn9jkhoR7DAFE1qi8Rzoqn9LlCRUZKDHPg=w747-h955-no

Anyway, here is Krówka ('cow'), our ex-barn cat in retirement - but she has plenty of boyfriends as most people here choose a male cat. I think her previous owner chose a female so he could sell the kittens, but while he has a lot of birds he is a bit of an ... when it comes to four-legged animals, virtually starving them.

AM-JKLU_DXBhhSwDceJs_jwlsRUIMt_FVAJr3nhNNg3JfKnolkzAxE0h84wEMNlvAOphlmjLg3mPzydB11iDO9bpn89r8VwQodAz2w6UBRM5ye8Gc90B2EAGm3ovHAgtiufSh5dPuLVyY5hmUZmWJt0Zqu2qfA=w967-h955-no

Anyway, it is time I went up the yard to fiddle with my bike.

We certainly live in a different part of the world. I don’t think you can sell kittens around here. Generally speaking you can’t give them away easily.

They have to be special purebred Angoras or something to be worth anything.

When we had a barn, back about 1980, We had 4 cats out there, and one in the house, just to keep the varmints down. We were living in the country in the middle of 300 acres of Thompson grapes.

We have dogs outside all the time now, and that keeps away the rats & possums, But our cats are strictly indoor cats and they do not go outdoors alone.

Those are really my wife’s cats, and I don’t take care of them. I raise tropical fish, which you can sell easily here.

BEFC8EBC-C5C4-4240-A68B-A376A977C71C.jpeg

DE530777-8B66-4DA3-A36C-44CA9F993319.jpeg
I won’t sell these guys because they have been with me too many years.

Things have been progressing here, like I brought in a couple of the weights that were lying around with the agricultural scales I found in the shed I cleared out the other week. One day I am going to buy one of those frames people use build and service their bikes on, but for now I just mess around balancing them on my bench - and these help stop the bike from moving around too much.

AM-JKLX76tLqRVYY8zI_Vn3mGXbMOWNv4aD9kfy9t5ww8fbcd_VBm3H3xl0Y_bliJ2fmgftsPZy0MHs2iVuQuTov5qSXuAaZOteRz-CH8dmyWnmLfnjTa2_Oly0q-8_QyQ9idyDGeXr0te0OeqtOg6Amr0djGw=w820-h956-no

Because I mounted the wheel before fitting the derailleur, I drilled the upper mounting point for the mudguard in the wrong place. So to compensate I made a little extension to the lower mount. The nuts are nice, though.

AM-JKLXp3yZ89oEzU_rcJc8H3zWvUK4MPAhi55R1EEyBQveDN9rfrFAC5BKSYbobu7uIpPUrrB6_3Q599g4EOJ0Gqfq3q2h01-e3-PFxj8BSG7uHl0aA5YFo0RMB9G1b4pZ4PWcVAEMUmxP0XzNhzblhnP_yVw=w859-h956-no

Things are going much better at the front end, once I had filed the mount to allow the mudguard to be mounted higher. Then I could not find the pair of mounting bolts for the brake, so I hunted up another pair. After installation was finished, I found the original mounting bolts, where I had stored them after painting their heads. Still, the non-rusty pair I found were better, as they match the other fasteners around there.

One day I must buy some new brake pads.

AM-JKLXwXZrinkFcDhK1avXjwSFQx48Oqo3c7GjM3U5tQJf3p5AxoEGI0xclehErt38qvfs8et-MqOD4pMigIkdbBDBqWDtVSU4iYwatamhrw9lsnO5Ad7L7YJ9xzcsvj31civCSE-fvltH0gnbdqQa7kwbRvA=w791-h955-no

The cloth I had chosen as a seat cover material would not stretch enough, so now I am experimenting with covering the seat with strips of the material. If this does not work, then I am going to have to try sewing a cover.

I just wish we had a sewing machine.

AM-JKLV6t-AMZ11XhXkX-YkcQSh_FAcPu-Qt2aSzO6zJ_VC0QSXV8bVwMR3Rss9VFXf3esfTfJJyU5Q-2gG2WFqmx60r28t4163CGAWnJgzHtybHMQI3RAIWPXhAxJ0DnDj-MlDut-LN-cuz1xRUNXqxZYJBSA=w697-h955-no

So things are progressing, I am just not certain that they are all progressing in a positive direction.

Anyway, our neighbour had some of his grandchildren around for most of last week, which means that the three bikes I repaired for him finally got some use, including a Romet Jubilat that had some major issues and consumed one of my few good main sprocket units - and the factory making them finally went out of business two years ago.

I have a Park stand, but in my shed I just have a hook overhead. I hang the frames with a fat fabric strap from the hook.

They will touch the bench, with a buckle adjustment, so kinda stable. I have “sandbags” too, filled with tiny gravel.

They come in handy so often. Normally they are used for target practice, but I don’t need much of that.

I was just trying to zoom in and read the labels . . . Looks like a Polish eagle on there. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a beer from Poland.

Nope, that is actually a goat... ;)

Goats actually climb very well, and this one is standing on its back legs, up against a grape vine. Grape vines have been absent from around here for several centuries, but they could be coming back if the weather continues to warm enough that someone thinks it is worth planting them once more. The goats and the vine represent the city of Lublin, while the hops behind the shield represent the beer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_Lublin

Where I live the grapes are one of the largest crops and winemaking is a huge business. In California we’re proud of saying that we make more wine than France. I don’t know if that’s true or just propaganda. But I’m sure the French don’t like it.

One of my jobs as an engineer was at a machine and fabrication outfit which made huge stainless steel wine tanks for Gallo. We reverse engineered an Italian wine press and created an improved version that could press the grapes so hard it created particleboard from the stems and seeds.

Which is not necessarily the best idea for fine wine, but this was Gallo (=cheap.)

Also that particleboard that it created clogged up the machine and we had to cut back on the hydraulic pressure.

Yes, I could have a hook as well, but the building is just one room in a brick barn, which means the roof is high - and then many of my bikes are folders, hee hee.

I was just trying to zoom in and read the labels . . . Looks like a Polish eagle on there. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a beer from Poland.
Believe me they have some great beer over there! I tried several brands... 🤪🥴🍻

Latest posts

Back