Something to "DO" this Winter

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I figure I'm gonna have to "DO" something this winter. SOOOOO, I had this frame lying around. It's a bike that I bought at Toys "R" Us 4 years ago for $49 (had scratches). I scavenged parts of it, for a number of projects. Now lika a "fool" I'm gonna make it back into a BIKE!....I want to use this fork for something! I don't even have a 26in. coaster brake rim, but I got all winter. Right now I'm just setting up the height and clearances. That's a 26in. front wheel from an old 3 speed on the rear. :roll: The fork is from a 27in. Panasonic road bike, that I bent to show "ELVIS" how to do one. It has a 24in MTN bike tire and rim (for size). Had a sprocket with shorter arms hanging around, got about 2in clearance from ground. Not sure on color, bars, seat etc..................I WANT TO KEEP IT "CHEAP"!...The only things I plan on buying is a rim and tires. :wink:......Oh yeah! there's a pic of the bike with the Columbia I just posted in "Fresh Finds". Frames are just about the exact same dimensions. The bent fork certainly makes it a teeny bit lower. .....Comments, ideas?
WINTER005.jpg

WINTER004.jpg

WINTER003.jpg

I LIKE the profile with the big n littles BIG TIME!!!

Keep going in the direction youre going with it.That bike is gonna be WAY COOL!

hey kota come on by i've got some extra wheel sets, that columbia is sweet i wanted to pick that up myself but x-mas presents won't buy themselves

Markm said:
looks like ya might want to re-inforce the fork some....short trusses?
Markm, that's a possibility, I'll have to see how strong the front end is at final mock up.

Cody-James, I'll be getting in touch with you SOON.

Well, once again, I thought I was to old to lay awake in bed thinking about a bike! I was wrong.........3 hours later this is what I came up with......for those of you who were here last year, you might remember the Monark I did for my son's birthday, in Feb. (to see before and after pics click on "MY INTRO") I REALLY liked the finished bike, color combo, chrome and YES the seat.....So, I'm thinking of MAYBE a low-slung "companion" for that bike. Same color combo, chrome and YES the seat........But that's today, who knows what a few weeks of sleepless nights might come up with next :cry:

003-3.jpg

The Heron said:
[Ride slow... don't hit any bumps! :D

.... My thoughts are:

4. chiropractor, cranio-facial reconstructive surgeon, pediatrist, and Ralph Nader on speed-dial :wink:

Chiropractor, not as long as they make pain pills.... Craniofacial reconstructive surgeon, been thinking about that anyway...Podiatrist, maybe bring my size 13's down to a size 10 (smaller boots)......Ralf Nader on speed dial, stick a fork in Ralph, I think he's done.
Maybe it's not gonna be a companion bike to the above Monarch, although I might use the old seat from it. I scrounged around and found some old parts (they're just put in place). Flight liner rear carrier, bars from a Sears Spyder, and the old Monarch seat, will have to go further back then pictured (I swear it weighs more then the frame!). Gotta call cody-james about a rear wheel. Paint MAYBE all primer, or sandblast everything, let it rust through winter and clear coat it, haven't decided yet.
003-10.jpg

What if you made some struts that connected to the bars down by the neck? I think that would look good and strengthen it up a bit. Kota, you always seem to build a "horse of a different color" and I'm liking the looks of this one.

BrigmasterA said:
Looks good man. But that thing would look mean using adapt's 3-4 inch lowering technique in the rear...

I really LIKE adapt's lowering technique, I think it's ingenious!.....but on this bike it wouldn't be practical. I can't take the chance of lowering the bottom bracket, even a 1/2 inch. Besides I really want to use the rear carrier. Adapt's technique lowers the back (can't say it enough, GREAT idea). The bent fork lowered the front soooo much. To give you an idea HOW much, I drew a "red" line on the head tube on the pic above. That's where my KNEE cap is and I'm only 6ft. tall! Also, I'm an "old" guy, that's as low as I want to go on a conventional bike............Hey BA, thanks for the suggestion, I took a long look at it.
MagicRat...I'm flattered that anybody would want to STEAL my ideas. :oops:

necessaryevil said:
What if you made some struts that connected to the bars down by the neck? I think that would look good and strengthen it up a bit. Kota, you always seem to build a "horse of a different color" and I'm liking the looks of this one.

I'm taking that as a "compliment" :oops: ......Supports are already planned. I want them to match the angle of the rear carriers supports.

002-3.jpg

Kota: The way you have the fork set up you will have a severely negative "trail". I would think it would be difficult to ride. Like pushing a shopping cart wheel backward.

mikek said:
Kota: The way you have the fork set up you will have a severely negative "trail". I would think it would be difficult to ride. Like pushing a shopping cart wheel backward.

So far I have no money invested, so if it doesn't work, the only thing I lose is my time. :wink: ...Click on MY INTRO, most of the "stuff" I make are handfuls to ride (in the beginning) :D .............Actually I can't wait to try it!........Thanks mikek

MagicRat, I forgot about that bike!.........Looks like I "stole" some of YOUR ideas!

hey...
where do you get tubing & how are you making such nice bends?

beautiful work bye the way
it looks like you have allot of projects under your belt :)

take care & happy holidays
JAK

Back