Sorry another gear question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry guys I know this has come up before......I could not find the past post. :( :lol:

any way most of you know the bike

IMG_1427.jpg

right now it has a Nexus 4 speed internal hub. and 1 gear is like being in 3rd :( right now the front crank is a Del Sol 44 tooth. Kev reminded me tonight that the Rick shaw's crank is the crank that came with that very Nexus 4 speed but when I counted it...I found that the crank has 46 teeth ??????

I thought I would need less teeth in the front crank to make 1st gear nice?????

I'm lost :?

Firewalker said:
I thought I would need less teeth in the front crank to make 1st gear nice?????

Less teeth on the front sprocket will lower the gear ratio making it easier to pedal. Likewise, adding teeth to the rear sprocket will have the same effect.

How many teeth are on the rear?

46 teeth on the rickshaw would make it harder pedal, all else being equal.

In my experience, the lower seating position on the stretch limo also increases the pedal effort.

-Mp

Firewalker said:
It sucks going up even the little ones :D

And how! I took my limo out for a cruise 'round the neighborhood today and well, lower gearing is going on this bike in the very near future. The heavy weight and low seating make low gears necessary. But man, that blue paint sure does sparkle in the sunlight :D

limobackview2uv3.png

-Mp

i find that with the three speeds a 18 or 19 on the rear and a 42 in the front works well. not sure about the 4 speed and if it is more of a sit down bike you may want to bump the rear up or get a slightly smaller front.

I went on the hunt and found a 37T sprocket...

Had it on as soon as I got home today and then went out for a ride....

Wow 1st gear feels like 1st gear :D thanks for the info everybody....it has givin me more ideas ...however more questions.....

the only thing I'm not fond of is that the sprocket is small.....

usin higher gears now? , i rarely get outta 1st & 2nd on my nexus 4. tho in 3rd/4th my bro and his girlfriend struggle to stay with me on their bikes (roadmaster 10 speeds), i always thought 1st wasnt THAT easy on hills myself.

In the end...

Multipass said:
But man, that blue paint sure does sparkle in the sunlight :D

-Mp

In the end...that's ALL that matters :!:

Back