Sour Apple

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: "Sour Apple"

Great details..........love the bottom of the seat!

lovin it! the checker is a nice touch! might have to try that if you dont mind.

I hope to get some finished shots of the bike this week. The bike tune up is supposed to be done some time this week. When I was biking home from work today I found some neat rustic looking backdrops for the finished bike pictures. I will see what I can come up with. I am getting pretty excited to drive this thing. I had a cool thought you can build a hot rodded bike and have the best gas milage in the world my kind of ride. I was at a huge car show on the lake with the mustang this weekend and there was a lady there selling old vintage license plates for cars and bikes. I found a 1974 one from the centennial year for canada and thought it would be sweet on the bike, I am thinking about painting the raised letters to match my bike frame. Not sure how it will look on the bike I will post some pictures yet.

stretch said:
lovin it! the checker is a nice touch! might have to try that if you dont mind.
No problem at all. If you have any questions on how to do it, Just give me a shout.

Really well done so far! I agree with Rat Rod about the flames on your chain guard. Beautiful!

and how DID you do that? ive been thinking about it.. and i cant figure it out! :|

deorman said:
It surprises me that you did all that, and yet took it to a shop for tuning. :?
This is my first time working on a bike and i just wanted to have the bike looked over to make sure i put it together right

chimichanga said:
how long did it take to mask the seat? :D
about 30 min

stretch said:
and how DID you do that? ive been thinking about it.. and i cant figure it out! :|

So I decided to do a demo of how to make the checkers on the seat. here is how to mask it:

1.start with your object. for this demo I just drew a seat pan outline on a piece of paper
IMG_7013.jpg

2: Then I took a roll of 3/4 inch 3m UV Tape
IMG_7011.jpg

3. Next take and run the tape with wise across the seat make sure the first tape is run straight it will be your reference tape(if it is crooked you will see it later). Then run tape right along beside the first tape leaving no gaps or overlap.
IMG_7014.jpg

cover your whole seat this way
IMG_7015.jpg

4. Now over top of your tape you just put down run a single piece down the centre of the tape lengthwise. Make sure it is straight so that your squares are square and not diamonds. This is the second reference point.
IMG_7016.jpg

then like in the second part of step 3 cover the whole seat this way
IMG_7017.jpg

5.Now remove every other piece of tape that you just put down
IMG_7018.jpg

6. Take an exacto knife with a new blade and cut along both sides of the length wise tapes. be care full not to cut into the seat it self just use enough pressure on the knife to cut the tape only
IMG_7020.jpg

7. Remove the final length wise tapes slowly so that you do not remove the width wise ones
IMG_7021.jpg

8. Now pull out every other square
IMG_7024.jpg

when you are done you should have this:
IMG_7025.jpg

now you can paint the squares and un-mask after. the checkers look crooked in the pictue because the paper is warped.

note: when you start and if you have a black seat pan and want black and white checkers you can save your self a step and time. Do this by scuffing the bottom with the less abrasive scotch brite sanding pad just till the shine is off but keep it black. then mask the checkers off, paint the white, then peal the masking off and clear coat it.

I hope this makes sence

Man i like ittt. Beautiful bike. Nice demo, im about 2 do the seat on my spitfire like that. ;) thanks.

So I am getting pretty eager to ride my bike. I hope that it is ready to go for the coming weekend. There is a car show and I am planning on taking my bike there . I did a little research on how to make "Dice Valve Caps" for the bike and I found it was really simple. So I decided I would show you how I did it:

First I went to wall mart and bought a pack of Dice for under $2.
IMG_7027.jpg

Here are the things you will need for the build: 3/8 drill bit, Tape (masking tape works the best the I found that the duct tape pulled the black dots off of the die), ruler, drill, vice, and 2 part epoxy glue.
IMG_7028.jpg

Start by taping up the Die with your masking tape so just the #1 side is viable. wrap it a few times around with tape, this will prevent scratching the die. Then clamp it in to the vice with the #1 showing.
IMG_7030.jpg

Now drill out the #1 on the die with the 3/8 drill bit. The way i figured out how deep to drill was to hold the valve cap up to the side of the die and then measure that amount. Then I measured on the drill bit and taped it at that point so once the drill bit went into the die up to the tape you went far enough.
IMG_7040.jpg

IMG_7042.jpg

now test fit the valve cap and see if it goes in far enough, keep in mind that the valve cap will have a slight edge sticking out:
IMG_7043.jpg

Then take your 2 part epoxy glue and mix it up. Take a q-tip or Tooth pick and place a little glue in the hole and stick the valve cap in it. let it dry
IMG_7044.jpg

Here is the final product:
IMG_7045.jpg

IMG_7047.jpg

Here is the old license plate that I bought at a car show. There was a lady there selling all kinds of old license plates. I am not sure of the year of my bike so i figured that this one from 1974 would work. and the other cool thing about it is, its a centennial year plate. I am thinking about putting it on the bike. I am not sure how to mount it yet.
IMG_7010.jpg

Re: Sour Apple completed

Today was exciting I got the bike back from the bike shop. So I took it for a spin it rides like new. The bike got 2 new tires the old ones were splitting so I picked out some new ones form the shop. The rear tire is a KnobJob 20X2.10 and the front is a 20X1.95 Kenda Kontact. Since the front fender was missing I asked the shop owner to see if he could locate a front fender for me and he found one it is really sweet too. The next thing I did was take it to my Fiancees farm yard for a photo shoot. here are the picks she and I took:

IMG_7128.jpg

This Is me and the bike:
IMG_7126.jpg

This is my Fiancee with the bike:
IMG_7122.jpg

Me taking it for a spin:
IMG_7141.jpg

IMG_7109.jpg

IMG_7114.jpg

IMG_7119.jpg

Here you can see the die valve cap that I made for the bike:
IMG_7115.jpg

Here is the sour apple parked under the apple tree:
IMG_7130.jpg

IMG_7152.jpg

IMG_7154.jpg

IMG_7153.jpg

IMG_7158.jpg

IMG_7159.jpg

IMG_7164.jpg

IMG_7167.jpg

IMG_7168.jpg

IMG_7174.jpg

IMG_7180.jpg

IMG_7182.jpg

IMG_7185.jpg

awesome! need grips? ive got some sweet muscle bike grips that are transparent antifreeze color.

Back