Sour Apple

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The CCM Scrambler is the first bike i have ever built. Here is the story on the bike: I have all ways wanted a banana seat bike. One day while sending in my daily driver mountain bike in for a tune up at my favorite bike shop I asked the owner if he had any banana seat bikes for sale. He took me out side where there was one repaired and ready to go, this was not quite what I was looking for. So he took me to his back shed where he had a bunch of old unique bikes that were all needing restoration. The bike he pulled out was perfect it was in need of full resto. Allot of rust too. Well I went home and forgot about the bike and then a year later when i went back to tune my bike up for the next summer I remembered about the banana seat bike. I called him about it and he said i could have it for $25. When I got there to pick it up he said I could have it for free and that he had a new banana seat to put on it, that I could buy if I wanted. I was excited. This guy is retired and this is like his hobby fixing bikes as a business. He has allot of knowledge and is all ways willing to share it. I started by disassembling the bike and then polishing all of the chrome. The only thing I could not polish due to too much rust were the handle bars, so I bought new ape hangers. Then the frame was sanded and blasted down to the steel and My dad and I mixed up a custom green which my Fiancee called "Sour Apple Green" I liked the name so it stuck. The green is a soft lime with metallic flakes and yellow pearl and micah mixed in. In high school we had these suckers called "Caramel Apple Pops" the green reminds me of this sucker so that is where the name came from. It was painted with Glassrut BASF Automotive base/clear paint and was primed with epoxy primer to prevent rust. My favorite part of the bike was next on the list, the chain guard. I painted it the same green and then I masked off some flames. I took the "Sour Apple Green" and Tinted it with some yellow and sprayed on the ghost flames. I also had a friend from work make me some stencels with the original CCM Scrambler Graphics. This guy used to be in the decal and sign business. So I painted the graphics on in a classic off white. Then I put the bike back together and put on new rubber the old tires were awesome but were very much separated to the core.
I am not sure that this bike classifies as a Rat rod But I saw the bikes on here and was pumped at what i saw and thought I should put my bike on here. I will put some build photos on soon as I get a chance.

Devin J

Re: "Sour Apple"

Here are a couple of picks more to come, I hope you enjoy them.

When i got the bike:

IMG_6704.jpg

The bike almost done:

IMG_6901.jpg

The Chain Guard:

IMG_6897.jpg

I hope these pictures work

I like the green! Looks good.

Verry cool bike man. I have to ask though, is the person behind the green chain gaurd pukeing over the rail from to many Sour Apples? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Diggin the color.

glad you decided to post your bike......looking awesome......amazing paint work......so do you and your pops paint for a living or hobby???

Firs off thank you very much for all of the awesome comments
Here are The build pictures of the "Sour Apple":

This is the bike in the initial tear down in the garage:
IMG_6755-1.jpg

This is the Vin number If anyone can tell me what year this bike is that would be awesome:
IMG_6736.jpg

This is the orignal Head badge decal (I think that is what you call it):
IMG_6738.jpg

Here is the chain guard in its original condition in the pic you can also see the orignal condition of the fender:
IMG_6735.jpg

Here is the flame masking Job on the chain guard:
IMG_6872.jpg

In the next two pictures you can see an up close shot of the ghost flames the first one shows the gohst effect and then the next one shows how it pops out when the sun hits them:
IMG_6892.jpg

IMG_6895.jpg

This is the frame after I painted it:
IMG_6875.jpg

This concludes the painting portion of the bike build

This next section of the bike build includes the custom seat graphics and the polished pieces:

Here is the crank and sprocket after I pulled off of the bike for the first time prior to polishing:
IMG_6753.jpg

here it is after I polished it:
IMG_6877.jpg

here is the fender after polishing and the bottom side i sanded down and painted it was really rusty so i could not polish the bottom:
IMG_6879.jpg

IMG_6881.jpg

The banana seat was a Lowrider brand and is brand new, my old one was beyond repair the mounting bracket was busted off. I did some thinking and decided I would customize the new seat. I love the way the guys with the old 1930s rat rod cars paint checkers on the firewall of the car and I wanted to incorporate it into my bike some how. What I did was paint checkers on the bottom of the seat so when you look at the back of the bike you see them. First I scuffed the bottom of the seat with a less abrasive grey scotch brite sanding pad. The black was not sanded off. That way I could just paint the white checkers over the existing black and clear it.
Here is the masking Job:
IMG_6899.jpg

This is the final product:
IMG_6904.jpg

Here are a couple of picks showing how the seat looks on the bike:
IMG_6903.jpg

IMG_6906.jpg

This is the final pick for a few days:
IMG_6900.jpg

The bike is almost complete now. I sent it to the bike shop to get a tune up. When I get it back I will post the pictures of it completed

Ratfink1962 said:
Glasurit paint is awesome! some of the best paint out there. Just a guess... You work in body shop that specifically repairs, Porsche, Mercedes etc?

I work for a company Called Triplee in Manitoba, Canada. They build RV's. I am one of the painters.

Dev

What can I say it looks amazing friend.....I admire your painting skills.......

Back