SPOKE LENGTH FOR BENDIX KICKBACK

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if anyone knows the length of spoke I will need to lace a bendix kickback to a Schwinn 26'' s-2 wheel ?

Schwinn S-7, 26", standard hubs, front and rear: 10 7/8"
Schwinn S-7, 26", kickback rear hub: 10 3/8"
Schwinn S-2, 26", standard hubs, front and rear: 10 5/8"
Schwinn S-2, 26", kickback rear hub, 10 1/8"

If you are using original long Schwinn spoke nipples like the old ballooners had, you can use spokes that are 1/16" shorter. Gary

B607 said:
Schwinn S-7, 26", standard hubs, front and rear: 10 7/8"
Schwinn S-7, 26", kickback rear hub: 10 3/8"
Schwinn S-2, 26", standard hubs, front and rear: 10 5/8"
Schwinn S-2, 26", kickback rear hub, 10 1/8"

I'm guessing these are 4 cross on the standard hubs and 3 cross on the kickbacks? Is that what Schwinn did then; 3 cross on the kickbacks?

S2's and S7's and nearly all wheels of that era used "double butted" spokes originally. If you want to match an original front wheel you might want to find double butted spokes. Unfortunately they cost a lot more. For straight gauge, I buy them from a seller called "laloma123" on ebay. For double butted, I have bought from Niagara Cycle Works (online), and from a seller called "transitionrack01" on ebay.

DSCN0016.jpg

Thanks for the help.After about four times I think I got it.

What about a yellow band Bendix 2 speed kickback hub automatic into a S2 Schwinn wheel? What length of spokes would I need?

Yes. Take your time and use an online spoke calculator. There are no shortcuts. You may need to watch a few YouTube videos to learn how to get your measurements. It’s important to get the correct measurements.

Thanks guys. I will double check with a spoke calc for sure. Also, I HAD read, in a similar thread, on a chart that what I was looking for were 6⅞ which in mm is 174.625. Did a quick search, and I believe they aren't going to be easy to find unless I am in to rainbow colored ones.....which...I'm not.

@CRASH maybe able to help
Oh? That would be wonderful! Thank you for that! Also, I have some Stingrays, but this will be my first ratrod build. I've put some other bikes together, Huffys, but never yet a rod of 95% Schwinn parts...which is why I don't have a picture up yet on my profile. I am fairly new to the game, but it is satisfying my soul more than I could have imagined.

Oh? That would be wonderful! Thank you for that! Also, I have some Stingrays, but this will be my first ratrod build. I've put some other bikes together, Huffys, but never yet a rod of 95% Schwinn parts...which is why I don't have a picture up yet on my profile. I am fairly new to the game, but it is satisfying my soul more than I could have imagined.
Look back into @CRASH recent Stingray build another member cuts and threads spokes to custom length. I forget who it was. Good luck I want to say that 7 1/8

Back