Spoke material. Suggestions?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
I'm going to be ordering spokes to rebuild 4 sets of wheels. I want shiney chrome spokes that will last. The spokes I'm replacing all have the shine worn off. So...

What would you recommend for type? I've seen Alloy and Stainless Steel. Is there other? For an old muscle bike, what would be the choice for strength and long lasting shine?

Also... nipples... I can't remember what I got last time. Brass? Again, same question for strength and long lasting looks.

Thanks!

I'd go for the stainless, when I get the money that's what I'm doing on my Diamondback mountain bike. It's spokes are rusty because it was originally from California. Also putting a new set of trigger shifters, gear cables, and new grips on it.

image-159_zpse5c67ce3.jpg

CRASH said:
Why does California make rusty spokes? I've found the most rust on parts I get from back east where it is more humid.
Salt in the air I guess. I know it has a sticker on it from Circle Cycle in Torrence, CA.

CRASH said:
I suppose it was a beach bike then. That salt spray would explain it.
Everything else is in good shape though, I paid $50 for it and put new tires on it. It's my daily ride.

I always try to order stainless too if I can, pretty much all nipples are going to be plated brass unless stated otherwise.

Latest posts

Back