UNLIMITED Singularity

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having experience with this hub on a couple of builds, remember that it is a 'progressive' gearing; meaning that 1st gear is the one-to-one ratio and then they get progressively harder as you shift up. As opposed to the 2nd gear being the one-to-one in a 3 speed, and 1 being easier and 3 being harder.

What that equated to for me was to use a smaller chainring than typical in the front to achieve a lower gear for climbing.
Yeah it has a fairly small chainring. I haven't counted teeth but you can tell looking at it and the old drivetrain rode too easy with the old 3 speed. I spent 90 percent of the time in 3rd. So I will see how she rides with it and decide if I want to switch it up. The Hank and the wider rim add a bit of weight to what it was pushing before as well.

Ok so when I decided to swap rims and use a different one then what I measured spokes for I figured there'd be a bit of wiggle room. Ah...no. Spokes sre too short to do 3 cross so I tried 2 cross (my first time with that pattern) nope now they're a bit too long, probably 3/8" or so. I'm not wasting them or buying more. So I dug out my tiny threader. There's only 36 of them, how long can it really take? lol.
IMG_20240605_161629753.jpg

I figure I'll put a good 1/2 inch or so more threads on and retry the 2 cross pattern. More threads should allow me to thread on past the inside of the rim and then nip them off with a bit of file or grind after that.

It's not rocketry, but the threads aren't exactly the die I have either 2-56. I know actual thread is drawn out rather that cut in so I've also modded my die a bit by spreading it open a little and wedging a small screwdriver in it. I've used this little guy before with no issues. So we'll see what happens this time.
IMG_20240605_162639624.jpg

Nifty idea modifying a regular die.
I got and scored a Hozan spoke threader years ago when I bought a bunch of stuff from a bike shop that was going out of business.

Yep, it works pretty well. Never had an issue yet. This wheel needs very little to be ready. Still gotta nip the extra off but she's true as I can get just by eyeballing it. Tomorrow it'll hit the bench and I'll finish it off. Today I'm happy.
IMG_20240605_233215942.jpg

Doe
Ok so when I decided to swap rims and use a different one then what I measured spokes for I figured there'd be a bit of wiggle room. Ah...no. Spokes sre too short to do 3 cross so I tried 2 cross (my first time with that pattern) nope now they're a bit too long, probably 3/8" or so. I'm not wasting them or buying more. So I dug out my tiny threader. There's only 36 of them, how long can it really take? lol.
View attachment 268423
I figure I'll put a good 1/2 inch or so more threads on and retry the 2 cross pattern. More threads should allow me to thread on past the inside of the rim and then nip them off with a bit of file or grind after that.
future reference, if spokes are ever a little too long, go ahead and build the wheel anyway. Then use a dremel and grind off the ends flush down to the nipples heads. Between that and a rim strip, you should be good to go. Done this numerous times on hub swaps.

IMG_20240609_201955217.jpg
IMG_20240609_202015145.jpg
IMG_20240609_202025702.jpg
IMG_20240610_012319323.jpg

Prior to relacing the front rim with new spokes I tested the fit of the tire I dug out to match the big o' Hank. Found a nice balloon tire on the back of my Little Neutrino build, an antique Allstate 26 x 2.125 Last pic is the relaced rim 4 cross with black spokes and silver nipples to match the rear rim laced in a 2 cross.

I like the tire combo! A little old, a little new. Diggin' the black spokes up against those gold rims!

I like the tire combo! A little old, a little new. Diggin' the black spokes up against those gold rims!
Thanks. That old Allstate is in excellent shape considering how old it is, no cracking to speak of and after I clean them up they should look even better together once they're actually black rubber color rather than garage dust. It's a fun match up the old and new (ish) I also like the similar roundness. I had a nice Goodyear style tread on there but the square profile on the front was no good match up against the Hank. I like the faded gold rims too, just enough rattiness, and lacing both with black spokes is tying things together.

It's about time to start striping paint...

Yep, it works pretty well. Never had an issue yet. This wheel needs very little to be ready. Still gotta nip the extra off but she's true as I can get just by eyeballing it. Tomorrow it'll hit the bench and I'll finish it off. Today I'm happy.
View attachment 268458
That is such a perfect looking wheel. Good job. I've laced and trued rims before and it took me a week of frustration to finally get it close to right in a trying stand.

Last edited:
Love that seat set up too.
Solid steel seat post. Haven't sourced my seat yet. I want comfy but narrow and stylish. I've used old springers and I've used Brooks from old Raleigh's (I forget the number) and they're ok, but this time I'm thinking of a modern racing saddle.

Last edited:
Every horse needs a little sunshine now and then. Good for the soul.
Ya know there was still at least 10 more in the garage...
The 41 Elgin, Greaseslapper, Wasteland, a Whizzer frame, another Schwinn Traveler, Planet X, a Cannondale, my kids College bike, another tandem, a Schwinn 20" ... My CURRENT BUILD LOL....

Love the wheels/tires on the bike. They look great.
These bikes seem to multiply like wabbits

IGH service is challenging but satisfying when things go well. This Nexus 4 was ridden as a single speed on an old beater for a long time before I got it.
I finally got the nerve to open it up. Not so bad if you take your time.
IMG_7771.JPG

IMG_7777.JPG

Degreased, oiled and regreased.
IMG_6719.JPG

Lacing her to a new wheel this weekend.

Sheldon forever!
Best of luck with your cool build!

Last edited:
Very cool. I have a few Nexus 4 on flip/parts bikes in my stash, but haven't really used on yet.

Back