Spotted a street survivor the morning..

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The wife and I had the bikes in the truck heading for a beach cruise when I spotted this blast from the past. :eek: :eek: :eek: :shock: 8) 1970 Superbird,somebody scribled SST on the quarter like the old Kenner pull toys.
This thing is worth a few bucks. Nice to see a relic in the 'hood.
Spokes

100_1733.jpg

100_1736.jpg

That and the Daytona almost caused me to "flunk" senior year in high school.....When they first came out, all I did was day dream about them (still do once in a while).

That is NICE 8) Off to a cruise night tonight, hope to see one of these :D Those are some rare cars that fetch A LOT of money :shock:

KOTA said:
That and the Daytona almost caused me to "flunk" senior year in high school.....When they first came out, all I did was day dream about them (still do once in a while).
Me too Kota, me too. :D

joe dirt was the first thing i thought of too. :lol: i wonder if thats a genuine bird or somebody buit it from a roadrunner. either way, its very cool!
of all the things chrysler has done over the years, disolving plymouth was the dumbest.

X-RAY said:
joe dirt was the first thing i thought of too. :lol: i wonder if thats a genuine bird or somebody buit it from a roadrunner. either way, its very cool!
of all the things chrysler has done over the years, disolving plymouth was the dumbest.

The dumbest thing they every did was bow to the UAW at every whim, then cut their car quality to make up. The deal with Mercedes wasn't smart either. Besides, at the time, Chrysler had bought Jeep and was doing well-why would they pump money into a brand that was dying anyhow? I hate to say it, but it was coming and the Prowler was cool, I love those things, but they were too little and too late for Plymouth. The Prowler later went to the Chrysler division I believe.

Ford did the same thing to Mercury. The biggest stab in the back was GM crushing Pontiac.

Anyway, this car is cool! I love seeing rare survivors that still prowl the streets!

i guess instead of dumbest, i shoulda said saddest. i hated to see mercury go, too.

WAY COOL "Bird (My bud has an orange one too) 440-4 4 speed

The sad thing is...the dealers had a hard time selling those Aero Cars when they were new.(Daytonas and Superbirds)

Some of them sat on the dealer lot for years...some of them got converted back into Chargers and Road Runners by the dealer just to off them.

20/20 hindsight?

I remember, someone in our hood had one back in the early 70s. I used to stop & stare at the road runner on the wing, thought it was so cool to have a cartoon on a car!! :mrgreen: -Adam

I have a vague memory of a plum colored one sitting new in a dealers lot out on Long Island in 1972. My older cousin and I would take a walk up to the dealers lot stare at the cool Mopars through the chain link. I bet it sat unsold at that dealer for years.
PS- The once proud Chrysler-Plymouth dealership is a Starbucks complete with drive through. Like we needed another one. :x

As funny as it seems now that the Road Runner/Superbird was named after a Warner Brothers cartoon...

The GTO Judge was named after a Rowan and Martin Laugh-In scetch (Sammy Davis)

"Here come the Judge"

MagicRat said:
As funny as it seems now that the Road Runner/Superbird was named after a Warner Brothers cartoon...

The GTO Judge was named after a Rowan and Martin Laugh-In scetch (Sammy Davis)

"Here come the Judge"

Yup! Most people my age have no clue about that one!

Back