Spray paint over original paint

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard a few times when hanging at a swap meet, or something that there's a acid or chemical I can use to remove the spray paint and not the original. I had a guy go as far as tell me a step by step on what I should have done to a frame after I already sanded and primered the sucker, but I have ADHD and as hard as I tried to follow him an hot chick rode by on a Spaceliner and I followed her. Now I have a bike with nasty spray paint, it could be around ten years old. The spray paint that is. I ran some fine sand paper over some areas looking for markings. I found Western Flyer painted or maybe its a decal on the tank. If anything I would want to save that area, and have the rest of the bike painted to match. Oh, some areas can be scraped with a finger nail, other areas not so easy. Sorry about going on and on. Is this a fairy tale or can I use something?

I have Oven Cleaner too. Test the paint to determine the optimal time before wiping off. Sometime 10 mins up to 10+ hours. Also have a rag and a bucket of water and rinse liberally.

Easy Off, helped a buddy of mine take a VW bay buss back to original paint. I just do not remember the time from spray to wipe off. But do small areas at a time.

I bought a vintage road bike that the entire bike had been painted flat black. Went to Walmart and got the spray on chemical paint remover. Sprayed on the frame, the flat black bubbled, hosed down real quick to remove the top layer of paint. This reviled a beautiful motobecane super mirage, Buffed up the original black and red paint. I used Meguiars rubbing compound with a rag. Flipped it for $300. I had $130 into it.

Sinner4 said:
I bought a vintage road bike that the entire bike had been painted flat black. Went to Walmart and got the spray on chemical paint remover. Sprayed on the frame, the flat black bubbled, hosed down real quick to remove the top layer of paint. This reviled a beautiful motobecane super mirage, Buffed up the original black and red paint. I used Meguiars rubbing compound with a rag. Flipped it for $300. I had $130 into it.

I've been trying this on the tank. It turns out it was painted black over the red, then blue over the black. I have ended up with a few bare metal spots, and some low areas where the red has rubbed off. When I get enough of the black and blue off I will try and buff it. If I cant save it I will just have to sand bast, prime, and paint the whole thing. Thats when I can fight the goose neck out, it's bolt broke about 3/4 down, Ive hammered it down. The sucker wont move, and I cant lift or pull more than 15lbs right now.

All this work because outside of jeans I hate the color blue.

dude i need same thing..
389158_364863606918131_283555089_n.jpg

the blue one is Coppertone under.. and i like copper tone better! :( one my fave stingray colors :shock:

Off Topic,
I have been itching to try dry ice and freeze the internal parts to see if I can unstick them. You can use heat but that would burn up the paint.

The best thing I have found to remove spray paint without harming the original paint is liquid varnish remover. Use a rag and some pressure and it takes the spray paint right off. I've bought a few bikes from the flea market where they spray painted everything and it cleaned it all off without hurting any of the og finishes or soft parts.

Latest posts

Back