standard bike chain, different sizes??? Help?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys I am working on my build and I have 3 bicycle chains, they appear to be different pitch lengths.

2 appear to be the same size and do not fit my Sturmey Archer S2C kickback sprocket. These 2 chains are narrow in width but it appears that its the length per link that is the fitting problem. These chains seem as if they are a different length pitch where the first few links align properly then the rest aren't even close to aligning.

The other chain I have is wider in width, but seems to be the same length per link as the other two chains. This one fits perfectly. This chain has the capital letter "Z" stamped on a few of its links and is also marked 1g3 or Ig3. I didn't know if this perhaps indicated the type of chain it is.

I am guessing that the one chain that fits has the same length per link on the chain but the (Pardon my poor word usage) little circular cylinder in center of the chain is a different diameter leading to the chain pitch length being different.

Can someone shine some light on this for me? I feel like a dummy for asking. lol

Thanks

I originally thought this as well, but the narrow chains seem like slide all the way down onto the teeth of the sprocket. But maybe so, I have no idea. I am a little afraid to buy a chain now. lol

I will investigate further. Thanks markeatmark

chain link length is standard, widths vary for their intended use; single speed, multi-speed, and then how many multi speeds (5-7 speed, 8-10 speed etc.)

are any of your chains worn out?

Are they NEW chains? Chains do stretch with use and age, usually matching wear on cogs and chainrings. If you try to use them on new cogs or those with different wear history they often won't seat well!
As always Y.M.M.V.
Gizmo

Sometimes it seems as though a 1/8" sprocket will not take a 3/32" chain due to pitch, but it is actually due to insufficient seating space for the inner plates. A worn out chain is visibly longer, but it would fit ok on the sprocket unless tight or in use.

Back