BO15 SteamRoller - Finished 1st THANKS!! - CompareTwinWinsVerBotenSteamRoller

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@GuitarlCarl , you got this right.."You got some big ratings to follow brother, gonna have to pull out the stops... " Steamroller is an apt name for @kingfish254 's build this year.
As in, "He Steamroller-ed the competition." ;)

I like the concept of the midget body combined into a seat shell, but agree with Carl on the 'horizontal line' thing. This bike is so deliciously curvy, a blunt flat seat might not be flattering to it's figure.
If you know what I'm sayin'...

You sure could get a cafe racer look by cutting the front off that shell. But the whole thing needs to be horizontal to look right and might not be good for this frame. I'm also wondering if those fork tubes will flip around? Give it that flipped rockers look, throw that front wheel forward. You got some big ratings to follow brother, gonna have to pull out the stops...

GC.

I'm not to worried about blending the seat/fender with the frame. I agree that if I was building a cafe racer, then both "should" be horizontal. I have my ideas around blending the fender into the frame so that it flows together. You know me, just because I use cafe racer part, it doesn't mean that is what I am building. I used a Campbell's soup can on VerBoten, but I didn't build a kitchen bike. :D . I usually try steer away from the constraints of theme. Like all of us, I just try to make a mashup of parts play nice with each other. In regards to the seat/fender. It's really the streamlined integrated fender look that I am after. We'll see how it comes out.

1588598746281.png

It is possible to flip Girvin forks around, but without major work on the pivot points, the result are forks that angle backwards even though the dropouts face forward. I know the rear facing drops look unusual, but the engineered geometry on these is great as is.

The only way to have handlebars :happy: Everything looks fantastic on this build!

Bars look perfect! The seat has some serious potential.

Thanks for the suggestion, it nudged me down what I think is the right path for this build. Glad you like the mockups so far. It should be fun!! :D

Flipped bars appear to blend with other shapes at this stage of your project. Guess it depends on how you want to be positioned when riding.

Sitting on the mocked up seat, these don't feel that low. Firewing and SaltHammer felt lower and I could ride those just fine.

@GuitarlCarl , you got this right.."You got some big ratings to follow brother, gonna have to pull out the stops... " Steamroller is an apt name for @kingfish254 's build this year.
As in, "He Steamroller-ed the competition." ;)

I like the concept of the midget body combined into a seat shell, but agree with Carl on the 'horizontal line' thing. This bike is so deliciously curvy, a blunt flat seat might not be flattering to it's figure.
If you know what I'm sayin'...

RATings schmatings, I just hope to pull off a cool bike and have fun. There are already some killer builds going on and we've only been at it for 3 days.

I'm not too worried about the horizontal bopness of the fender. The seat already has some serious curviness and I have ideas on how to blend it all together with the figure of the bike.

Last edited:
Believe in your vision. In the meantime, I will judge you silently from the shadows.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

No clear vision yet, more like vague ideas :D. Judge me openly, the feedback is part of the fun and success of build offs. Wait until you see the mockup pics I post tonight. They are cringe-worthy. :D

Wait until you see the mockup pics I post tonight. They are cringe-worthy. :D

Hopefully they'll involve several different mediums. Clay, poster board, stained glass, recycled bottle caps, taxidermy

No clear vision yet, more like vague ideas :D. Judge me openly, the feedback is part of the fun and success of build offs. Wait until you see the mockup pics I post tonight. They are cringe-worthy. :D
Feedback and constructive criticism are great, as long as it's not insulting or demeaning.

That said, when I saw the little racer car; I thought you were thinking a bolt on trike addition. Like some people put on motorcycles, big training wheels.
And then I thought, nope. He wouldn't do that. Or would he???

Feedback and constructive criticism are great, as long as it's not insulting or demeaning.

I agree, and generally it is delivered politely here on RRB. However, on the rare occasions that someone is a butthead, it's usually easy enough to get their comments removed either voluntarily or via the admins.

Well most everyone knows that I will mock up most anything on a build. So after I broke down the racer, I laid it on the pond ledge to get a feel if it could work as a tank.

20200503_152218.jpg

At the time I felt it deserved further mockup, so I broke out the trusty packing tape and taped to the side of the frame to check the scale and potential placement. Here are the huge tank cringe-worthy mock ups. THIS WILL NOT BE USED AS A BIG OLD TANK ON THIS BUILD!!!! :D :D :D

20200503_145104.jpg
20200503_145116.jpg
20200503_145205.jpg
20200503_145546.jpg
20200503_151239.jpg

Well most everyone knows that I will mock up most anything on a build. So after I broke down the racer, I laid it on the pond ledge to get a feel if it could work as a tank.

View attachment 118794

At the time I felt it deserved further mockup, so I broke out the trusty packing tape and taped to the side of the frame to check the scale and potential placement. Here are the huge tank cringe-worthy mock ups. THIS WILL NOT BE USED AS A BIG OLD TANK ON THIS BUILD!!!! :D :D :D

View attachment 118795View attachment 118796View attachment 118797View attachment 118798View attachment 118799
Okay, now if that "tank" was set down over the top tubes, and notched so that it could sit level, it would be reminiscent of the old small displacement Honda race bikes of the '60s.

Okay, now if that "tank" was set down over the top tubes, and notched so that it could sit level, it would be reminiscent of the old small displacement Honda race bikes of the '60s.

unnamed.jpg

Definitely would, but to me, that would be a waste of a Twin Bar. :D :D

Definitely would, but to me, that would be a waste of a Twin Bar. :D :D
that's actually kind of a valid point. my first thought looking at the pic was "Holy carp, that's a dead ringer." my second was "but then you don't see the open frame..."

that's actually kind of a valid point. my first thought looking at the pic was "Holy carp, that's a dead ringer." my second was "but then you don't see the open frame..."

Yeah, it would be cool for someone do use one of these little racers for a build like that. They are fairly common. I have literally seen them in shops all over the world on vacation.

I agree, and generally it is delivered politely here on RRB. However, on the rare occasions that someone is a butthead, it's usually easy enough to get their comments removed either voluntarily or via the admins.
You're right about that.
But there are times when a butthead or 4 send a pm telling you how stupid you are, or how their way is best, or this or that.

Usually the camaraderie here is amazing, but there are some a holes that can break a spoke.

Apologies for the negativity on your thread, maybe I'll join in this year and show a big middle finger high in the air.

Now GTB.

Back