step through frames

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for you gurus: do you know if there are any older step through frames that will accept 700c tires in the 45-50mm range? In searching, I see a lot of 26" frames, and the 700c frames I do see are road frames. Specialized and Priority both have a couple of modern step through bikes in that size, but I'm not looking to spend many hundred$ on another bike. Ideally , I'd like to strip one of my current bikes and move the parts to a suitable step through frame, and sell the other two bikes. I've decided I really only need one bike, although I do ride all three here and there. I haven't figured out the best way to sell what I have, though. Craigslist and FB Marketplace are out of the question, and selling on eBay seems sketchy at best.

Tony

The old GT Airstreams circa 2000 used to come stock with 700cX40. I'm sure there's at least a bit of wiggle room in there. People loved those swoopy aluminum frames

Now if you're talking older older, I'll step aside and let some experts interject.

Lotta solid MTB brands did em, just search for used "hybrids". Here's a 2014 Spesh as an example, probably able to find one for cheap if you are patient
large_bike.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I can be patient on this . . . it's not something I have to do. I guess I think differently than a lot of folks; to me, 700c x 38 is a narrow tire. I'll keep my eyes open and see what pops up. There's a GT Arette "women's large" 19" frame on eBay right now. I usually ride a 20-21" frame, so I think I'm gonna give it a pass. I was curious enough to ask the seller about tire size; he said a 700x50 would fit, barely.

I've decided I really only need one bike
Uncle Wvoldguy:
That is crazy talk. Do we have to do an intervention?

You may be able to work with a 19" frame. The seat tube length is only one part of the geometry and shorter frames can be adapted by use of longer seat posts, layback seat posts, and various stem and handlebar combinations to get your hands farther forward. I have a couple of 24" bikes that were worked into comfortable riders. It all depends on your preferences in riding position.
Have fun with the build!

Step throughs sometimes have different geometry from the non step version, more on the upright, cruiser side. Mixtes can sometimes feel like they are halfway between a road bike and a tourer

Let's consider intended use for that step thru . The " older " ones had a bad rep for frame flex. So if you might be installing saddle bag / pannier style baskets on the rear , and /or front basket , stay away. The frames Matti suggested look like they do not flex. Cost wise I bought a used Cranbrook Cruiser step thru cheap. Carry a lot of weight both front and rear. Frame is strong, no flex.

Back