step throughs

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so how many guys ride step throughs? i just got a huffy rail and huffy impala, both step through. i dont really care what people think, but was wondering if its cool or not to ride one if your a guy. i probably wouldnt buy one new, since there known as girls bikes, but i think these old school bikes are too cool to not ride it. also i saw someone talking about parting girl stingrays to fix boy stingrays, do a lot of people think that way? i feel that way about old cars, part the 4 doors for the 2 doors. anyway, was just curious what people think.

Send all Betty frames to the dump and use the parts to fix up boys bikes. :p Isn't that why they made girl's bikes? So we'd have spare parts later? 8) Gary

I ride a 49" roll fast step through and i get asked about it all the time... build it like you like and ride what you like...i have 7 bike and one is a boys frame and another was a girls that a bar welded across to top but i ride the roll fast the most....so i have a few step throughs.

If you only worry about what people think, you'll never own a bike. Get what you are happy with. Our front mount baby seat is on my wife's girl frame Huffy and when I ride it, I don't even think about the low bar, you know why? Because I'm riding.

well i would fix it for my girl before parting it, i got the imapala for her and the rail for me. and i dont have a boys bike to put parts on anyway, lol. when i saw the rail i thought, 'thats a cool bike, i want it". i wouldnt not ride it because of what others think, but just wondering how there viewed, since im new to the bike scene. thanks for the replies

war-pony said:
well i would fix it for my girl before parting it, i got the imapala for her and the rail for me. and i dont have a boys bike to put parts on anyway, lol. when i saw the rail i thought, 'thats a cool bike, i want it". i wouldnt not ride it because of what others think, but just wondering how there viewed, since im new to the bike scene. thanks for the replies

ride it till the wheels fall off and if someones say something...they just wish they were riding it.... 8)

After watching my brother struggle to mount my Electra Rally Sport with his surfboard attached, I'm going to build my Electra Betty step-through frame into a ratrod. No wonder so many surfers ride around on step-through bikes.

I have a Hurry Cranbrook Cruiser step-through that I customized . Rode it today. There are advantages to the frame design. More widely accepted in Europe. I also keep a 60"s Western Flyer - Galaxy Flyer step-through for guests,should the need arise. The only reason that I don"t ride the Flyer is because it is small for me.

Rat Rod said:
What's funny is that most non-bike people don't even know the difference. :lol:

I feel like us "bike people" are a dying breed. Try to take a guess as to how many households own a bicycle pump? Scary.

i remember when i was little kid, i thought step throughs should be for boys.... you know, to not hurt yourself

I ride a chick frame in winter. Saves the frank n beans when you hit a patch of ice. I also use it if I'm going to be pulling a kid behind me for the same reason.

My frank n beans are more important then what someone thinks.

I really don't have a problem with it. The reason for having step-thrus (skirts) is gone anyhow. But I would hate for a step-thru to be my only bike!

I really get a kick out of riding this.............

adrynme.jpg

Minus the basket and toy dog of course! :D

They're also good if you have some sort of large rack system.
uav01.jpg

My employer provides several hundred bikes with step-through frames (a whole bunch of them are old, awesome Worskman bikes!) for use by employees to get around. That's all I ever see around here, so the "That's for girls! Nyah nyah!" stigma is not attached to it at all. I also like the function of not having to be a gymnast to dismount a bike with a large load on the rear rack while still trying to keep the bike upright.

I think you're alright, dude. Especially if you hit it with some flat black and throw some fat apes on it.

Back