stepper bikes anyone ever build one or seen one of these cool machines?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
well I was reading the 3g bikes Facebook page and there's a post about stepper bike racing on there.
from what I guess they are ridden by pumping te steps kinda like a pump scooter
form what the post stated this is a popular event in Germany.
so, me being always inspired by the simplest( and most complicated sometimes) things, I decided their kind of cool and might want to attempt to build one of my own.
I know there is a lot of gravity racers I have seen but are these the same concept and design? or are they more complicated then that.
as much as I love vintage bicycles and bmx I also liked the bmx scooters from the 80's which is why these caught my eye.
looks to be fun and before I decide to build one I was curious if anyone has ever built one of these and could give me any pointers.
thanks
Sean

I've been tempted to pick one up from Gary for the purpose of getting a workout.

He swears that they are effective and fun to ride.

stacks_image_108998.jpg

I've seen them ridden on the streets of Cherry Hill, NJ.... actually, might've been the same rider on 2 different occasions.... Definitely looks different, and i had to do a double-take.... but dude had it going at a pretty good clip! Like maybe 15mph.

I like'm fine, but I'm not itchin' to own one, myself Just doesn't seem to be my "thing".

I think I have watched this video at least 37 times and cant see a stepper bike at all, will keep trying and let you know how I get on!

I own one but sadly they do not make them anymore. The model I have is called the diablo it is a 24inch front wheel and a 20inch rear wheel 7 speeds and they are a ton of fun good workout. Longest I have gone on mine is about 50 miles. I swapped out twist shifter for a mountain bike stype trigger shifter it was a huge difference. I also run a bmx tire in the rear so i can run good tire pressure and roll fast. Mind you these things look small but they weigh a ton and good luck finding a bike shop to service them I have a special stand i made just to do tune ups.

Back