What have you been riding lately?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice winter day here in Brisbane. Perfect for a pedal.

lm2024.jpg

Last edited:
This afternoon I had some errands to attend to, so I took the Giant Fastroad. I hit a new PB of 65kph down the hill into the estate.
Stopped for a pic on the way home. It's no race bike, but it always reminds me how fast modern bikes are. It really hammers.

DSC_0972.JPG

And I can measure it.
fastroad2.jpg

Then, after that, for 'something completely different', I took 'The Boss' out for a bit of off-road skiddage as well. It's slow, but un-stoppable. There is a nice green corridor between housing estates near mine. Tres 26x4 fun.

Boss.jpg

omg, I drooled when I saw the Hot Donuts truck. I would be there every day.

omg, I drooled when I saw the Hot Donuts truck. I would be there every day.
I haven’t see that truck in a few years as I believe they were having it restored. The smell coming from it was intoxicating and I didn’t have any cash or a cc with me. I was shattered. I promised myself I wouldn’t punish myself the next time I went by it.

The truck has been there since 1950. As a kid my dad would take me to work on a Saturday morning and would reward me with a bag of 6 hot jam doughnuts. I would scoff them down in a flash.

Mooneyes over Savannah

1000024088.jpg

1000024067.jpg

1973 Raleigh International.

Just rode it 507 miles on Ragbrai. They had gravel side roads as options. On the first stretch I could see the sidewalls shreading on the 30 year old gumwalls. Stopped in the first pass through town and got some new all black rubber. No more gravel options for me but there were a few short gravel sections on the main route. Broken spoke on day 5. Got a replacement and installed that on day 6. The spokes are 52 year old french 3 star brand (Robergel Trois Étoiles Spokes) and are very skinny. Like 16 gauge. Headset kept rattling loose on the lousy roads. One county had signs up bragging about how bad their roads were. The next few county's roads were just as bad. This is the same bike I rode on Sagbrai (Ragbrai 2) in 1974. Not the oldest bike on the ride but one that got many comments. Low gear of 42x24 wasn't low enough for this "Hilliest Ragbrai of all time". Brooks Cambium saddle gets a meh for comfort. The strap on wb cage in this photo was removed after day 1. It kept slipping round and hitting my feet. I didn't want it messing up the paint. There were many passing out free bottled water in most towns so I didn't need my own bottle. Really, no local water would have been drinkable anyhow in Iowa.

https://vintagebicycle.wordpress.com/2011/12/21/robergel-trois-etoiles-spokes/

IMG_2565.JPG

Back