Stingray Derailleur question.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I have never owned a bike with a derailleur. Well I have bought several to re-sell but this is going to be the first I buy to work on. I have a 5 speed and I am going to need a schwinn derailleur. I don't know where to start. Is there a differnce between a 10 speed and the 5-speed ones? Can I pull one off a road bike of the same vintage and swap it right in? It's time to admit to the world I have no idea when it comes to anything above an internal 3 and just cry for help!! I found a guy who is selling several Schwinn stamped ones and was going to look at them tonight. Any help ahead of time will help I am sure! thanks

dan

going on this bike

Yes, you should replace the derailleur with the same one (meaning speeds). That holds true with all drivetrain parts. And if you replace a derailleur, make sure it is compatible with the shifter, and vice versa.

Are the 5 speed derailleurs hard to find?

I don't think they are too uncommon. I just got another one today in a big lot of parts for a stingray and a Krate. So I am sure that that should work out. I took apart one that I bought the other day and then after a little cleaning and a couple missteps, managed to get it back together!

The hardest part is just holding it all together! :p

At Barnett, they taught us to put a correct sized allen/hex wrench in a bench vise, put the derailleur on it (at this point you would be facing the 'inside' of it) and that way you have both hands free!

That is for the newer ones though. I would have to look at the older ones and see how that could be done. Box wrench in bench vise?

Just about any rear derailleur with an axle mount will "work" but you want a correct one, right? The five speed Sting Rays used the earlier Krate style or a little later models used a GT500 type. These are still common and you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a serviceable unit. Back in the day we used to buy cheap Schwinn lightweights (Collegiates, Varsities, Continentals, etc...) at yard sales just to get the derailleurs and a few other small bits. Now in the days of retro and such, these bikes are harder to find.

Is that Simplex unit all metal or is it metal and plastic? If it's a metal one, I'm sure one of the vintage lightweight guys would trade you for what you want. Actually, I seem to recall seeing that derailleur used on some Vista muscle bikes from the late 60's.

Latest posts

Back