Stray Cat...."The Cats Ready to Prowl"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just relocate the shifter and then you won't need a seven footer.
That'd work if I was keeping it but since I'm donating to the cause I'm trying to make it as less a deathtrap as possible, keeping the shifter on the bars allows the rider more stability and with the steep rake the novice rider will need both hands on deck. I don't wanna hear somebody wiped out cause they were busy shifting down on the frame.
I remedied the issue with a tandem bike cable from a local bike shop, 12 foot long!!!! Woohoo! enough cable to run the shifter and the brake line.

Productive day: brake line and derailer cable retaining cups cut off and re-installed in new locations, modified another derailer to take slack from the bottom, modified the multi-sproket crank and took 7 or 8 links out, one by one, trying different lengths. Phew! I'm beat!
Anyone ever done this, I wanted a single sprocket because there was nowhere to mount the de-railer up front and make it look good so I ground the big multi-blades off and welded a single moderate sprocket on. Works awesome and cleaned it up so nicely.
14076395697_e4ab14ba74.jpg

The chain slides a lot smoother, so now I can tear it all down this week and prep for a candy coat of red....or perhaps coal black...any suggestions? I want to use the Democratic Republic of Congo flag colors; Red, Blue and Yellow. I thought about either Black with the colors in pinstripe? but I'm not the best striper. I also thought about Silver base coat with translucent red on top with blue and yellow stripes?

14076370140_e383ee3a6e.jpg

I would vote the silver basecoat translucent red on top version.
Worst case the red would 'sell' it to more people and gives you option of taped striping which is more easily found if you have any concerns about the pinstriping by hand.

That crank idea is a good one, I have done it before a few times, it is great how the centre hole on a one piece crank chainring perfectly fits around the ridged section left after grinding off the original!

Luke.

That crank idea is a good one, I have done it before a few times, it is great how the centre hole on a one piece crank chainring perfectly fits around the ridged section left after grinding off the original!

Luke.
Exactly, I figured I wasn't the first, nothing except for the likes of a few on here are trailblazers but I hadn't seen it and it was a simple exercise and figured I'd post perhaps others need a simple single gear solution.

Took the Congo Jammer out on a 20 mile shakedown cruise before I paint her up real purdy. And since this one is not staying with me and I have no idea who'll end-up with her, nor what amount of common sense they will have I decided to leave my brain and concern for my work at home and just thrash it across every curb, pothole or grassy knoll in my path. :rockout:Best idea I've ever had! It's much more fun when you just treat it like it's a hand-me-down and you're 12 again. Sure I blew out the chain tension'r I made from a derailer right away...
14099950129_43312029b9.jpg

but I sorta knew it was mounted too low and wouldn't last, it would have made it had I drove like Mrs. Daisy was on the handlebars, but remember, I'm 12 in this scenario....."Hey ya'll watch this!"

The bike over all was a blast to ride, bum knee and all! It's comfortable, takes hills nicely, jumps curbs with ease and her reflection cruisin past a store window looks like the lovechild of a Huffy and a Hummer.

14306815443_52e258685e.jpg

14100300017_4f2f5a5a59.jpg

14100219438_d6b23e6ee3.jpg

Had tons of fun cruisin the beach boardwalk, and knowing the looks and thumbs ups I got from beach bobs & betties were directed at a couple of old WallyMart "Girls" Moutain Bikes was just flat out cool.

Last edited:
I was going to ask you if you were going to build a skid plate for the tensioner. Guess not. My bike is weeks from even being close to take for a shake down run. It's great to see how swell your bike rides.

I was going to ask you if you were going to build a skid plate for the tensioner. Guess not. My bike is weeks from even being close to take for a shake down run. It's great to see how swell your bike rides.
Now you tell me! Ha ha.... Yeah like I said, really knew it was too low but it Telly would have been fine except for a huge peak of concrete I took it over. I started to stop but then said nah, if it's going to break let it while I still have time to fix it. Now I just need to find another mountain bike being tossed away. Good thing I have an awesome thrift store near me. :D

You just gotta throw in that 'awesome thrift store near me' remark when ever you can don't you?! Haha!!

Still think this bike is absolutely killing it!! I hope to build my own burrito in a similar stylee!!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Build it man...you won't wanna get off it. I'm starting to collect parts myself for my own burrito too.

This ones necked and ready for some spray, waiting on the sun to show it's face to lay it on.
14293262666_8ef68a0510.jpg

Is it getting a nice paint job or a ghetto job?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Nice/Ghetto...I mean it's rattle-can so that says it all. I do the best I can for building in a driveway.

I'm stuck on Red/Yellow/Black since it's the colors of the event/fundraiser I'm donating it to. Here's the two schemes I'm kick'n around.
14323277844_c6ba13ae26.jpg

14322160592_44d2e16d2b.jpg

Back