stripped thread

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hello everyone,

I currently am trying to finish a bike that has been sitting here for a couple of years now. The only thing is that is holding me back is the threads on the fork are stripped. I called a couple local bike shops to see maybe it can be rethreaded, but they say it can't be done. What are my other possible options? Will it be possible to use a 26 inch fork instead of the 24 inch fork? or would that affect the bike in any way? Thanks everyone for all your help.

The 26 inch Fork may have a Longer stem..but that can be Cut down..

It will though, leave a bigger Gap between the Top of The Tire and the
inside of the Fork.
If you Run a 24 inch Tire on a 26 inch Fork that may leave a cool
looking gap, but it may also look dumb.

I guess it depends on the Fender / no-fender idea.

Maybe you can Run The Bike with a 26 inch Front wheel..and a 24 Rear..
That ALWAYS looks cool..if The Geometry for the Ride works
out that is..

and NEVER SAY NEVER..

a Machine Shop may be able to Fix your fork for a minimul cost...

hope this helped....if not just for idea's

peace,
Kev.

give us a picture of the stripped threads an the bike too.

edit/ I saw the bike, but I'd like to see the threads.

You might consider using a threadless headset if there's not going to be any froading, also Chris King makes a "Gripnut" headset that will work with damaged thread forks but it's real expensive(uses a collet to clamp down on the fork).

Here is a pic of the thread.
IMG_5308.jpg

Your fork is borderline borked, but..

Take one of these, grind the top off so in can thread all the way down.

Now cut it in half. Take the two halves and clamp it on the steerer tube(below the boogered threads) with visegrips or a vise. Now twist those threads clean(you hope).

MVC-016E.JPG
MVC-018E.JPG

Larry said:
Your fork is borderline borked, but..

Take one of these, grind the top off so in can thread all the way down.

Now cut it in half. Take the two halves and clamp it on the steerer tube(below the boogered threads) with visegrips or a vise. Now twist those threads clean(you hope).

MVC-016E.JPG
MVC-018E.JPG

I am lost! Can you show me how? Thanks Larry.

If I understand correctly...

grind of the top beveled/cap part of the nut so it will look/act like any ordinary nut. You would be able to screw it down the fork tube as far as you want without it bottoming out.

Then cut the nut in two so you have a right and left half.

Wrap the 2 halves around the fork tube below the bad spot thus putting the nut back together. Vice grip the 2 halves to hold them together.
Now unscrew up and over the bad spot.

Interesting trick Larry.

I can't draw!

What you want to end up with is two half circles of a nut, so you can take them and clamp them onto the threads to use as 'the poor mans die'

first.jpg
second.jpg

Larry said:
I can't draw!

What you want to end up with is two half circles of a nut, so you can take them and clamp them onto the threads to use as 'the poor mans die'

first.jpg
second.jpg

^^ true dat ^^

that should work...but i'm surprised the bike shop didn't have the actual fork die...i've chased threads MUCH worse than that with the Park tool, but I have used the fork-nut trick...

great trick Larry..
I have chased nuts before..but sometimes the obvious is right in
front of you and you can't even see it..
I never saw it...( if you know what I mean )

I never saw that one in all the years of Monkeying around in grease..

GREAT IDEA..and I will definatly use that one again..
if a guys handy with The Mig Welder..he might even Tack those 2 Nut halves back together with a Quick
Spot Weld..just so it stays together all nice and tight..
and doesn't skip in half when clamping it together in the Vise / Visegrips..

once again..
Your a Machine God Larry..
great trick!!

peace,
Kev.

Use a thread file .. they wokk great ... U could fix that in 4 or 5 min ... No Problem

Stephen / Wingman

Go to a different bike shop that has a Park Tool thread die and they can chase the threads for you.

"If they say it can't be done, it just means they can't do it."

I volunteer at a bike co-op at my school. The number of sorta kinda stripped threads is astounding. Thanks Larry for giving me a tool to fix them with.

I've also cut 4 angled slots into a top bearing race, essentially making it into a thread die. I've cut new threads down about an inch with it.

You can make a die easily from a nut that fits the threads. For a standard fork you will need a 1-24 nut, (1" X 24 threads per inch) a three cornered file and a hand held propane torch. Cut 6 or 8 grooves equally spaced across the threads of the nut with the 3-cornered file.
With the torch, heat up the nut until it's red hot and then quench it in a bucket of water to harden it. This "die" will work for a short time...usually long enough to fix messed up threads.
Or, you can do what I did and buy a die and a handle from Harbor Freight. It was pretty cheap. This is the correct tool for cutting threads on your fork. I needed it for re-threading prewar girls forks to use on boys frames which have a shorter head tube. B607
DSC03200.jpg

DSC03201.jpg

Latest posts

Back