Stuck On Stupid

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok Chuck has these 3'' wide 26'' rims for sale. He made me a killer deal so I ran over to his house (close) and buy two. Still a killer deal. I bring them home and start to lace a 3 speed nexus to one. About somewhere into the lace I notice I have too many spokes. I checked the rim and BANG they are 32 spoke rims. So now my decision is to buy a hub with 32 holes or redrill the rim. I hate to wait on stuff to get here in the mail so I chose the drill more holes. They were so cheap I could waste one and if I decide to buy a hub for one I can still run a regular alloy front that is normal wide and build something with a really big back tire. Anyway I took a normal 36 spoke rim and measured the spacing and laid out the new holes. Well the rim I chose was bigger in diameter and the holes are a little farther apart than this rim. So I laid it out about ten times till it matched all the way around. I drill all the new holes and bring my lots of holes prize into the house with my spokes and Nexus three speed. I start to lace it and somewhere I noticed I now have 9 holes on each side....anybody need a rim drilled for 38 holes with lots of extras. This is one of those things that you know you messed up and it just kept getting worse, but its the most fun I have had in a long time. :lol:

You can put a cut spoke through a hole at opposite ends and use it to attach something? Like a truss rod across the wheel? But then you might want to add more holes to make it more even with the rods. :lol:

I've been looking for a nexus coaster with 32h since he posted them in the for sale. :)

This is what I have found so far.
Sturmey Archer S2C Kickshift Coaster Brake Hub - 2-Speed, 32H, Silver ....Like $80 at Niagara
I think a schwinn blue band kickback is a 32 hole hub.

It looks like swiss cheese now Crash. I doubt that it needs more holes. I figure it will hold lots of pencils or something. :lol:

OK I found this at a place called cambriabikes.com for $99
Shimano Shim Nexus Inter 3 SG 3D55 Centerlock Disc Black 32H

Amazon has the Sturmey Archer 3-speed alloy coaster brake hub on for $71.
That 8 speed is in Taiwan. Doubt that they can ship it in a week.

aka_locojoe said:
Too late now I guess but could you have laced it up and just skipped 4 holes in the hub? I had my LBS do this once.

Say what? If I have a 36 hole hub and a 32 hole rim which 4 would I skip in the hub??? I'm so confused :cry:

Ok I looked on Sheldon Brown's website and it looks like it takes a doctorate degree in mathematics to do it
I think I will go with either the kickback hub or the three speed from Sturmy Archer to solve the problem ,but its been a hoot.

Ever wonder how fat you can make a frank....well they will stretch out to a 3'' rim.
DSCF0001-93.jpg

DSCF0002-74.jpg

Since the rim is toast anyway. I redrilled it to 36 spokes. This time I taped a rim next to it
and then use a square across both to mark the holes. I bought some liquid steel and taped the
inside of the rim and filled all the holes I don't need from the back,and then drilled the new ones. Worked pretty good.
Could have painted it where you don't see the old holes, but oh well.
DSCF0003-39.jpg

I have yet to find a internally geared hub with a coaster break that has 32 holes, :cry: I have only seen 36 hole coaster break hubs. 32 hole is everything else like roller breaks and Discs. It sucks cause most of the new 80mil and 100mil hoops are 32 holes. :cry: I personally love coaster breaks over discs or roller breaks. Coaster is such a cleaner look, no cables=clean bicycle. Such a bummer. :cry:
The early 2 speed kick backs I don't know much about. I have a red band SA 2 speed kick back from 1962 and it's 36 holes. I always figured the Blue and yellow banded SA 2 speed hubs were that color cause of the year they were produced, not the holes. I could be wrong.

P.S. you can stretch any 2.5 tire over a 100mil hoop if you wanted to. Done it and it looks cool as ever. It makes the tire look like a low profile tire, cause of the stretch. I also like how the hoop sticks out from the tire.
Blue 8)

Uncle Stretch said:

You know.... that dont look too bad, it gives it an industrial look.

I also have some button head solid shank aluminum rivets that would have looked good in there. Working in the "Air Capitol" :roll: has its benefits. :D

LOL!!!
One more thing.
Don't ever strait lace a internal geared coaster break hub. The lacing must be a 2 cross or more. Straight lace will make your internal geared coaster hub noisy when you hit your breaks. Lesson learned the hard way. A 2 cross is cutting it close. I would suggest a 3 cross or more. That is unless you like a noisy break when you stop.

I took it all apart and filled the holes with liquid steel. I'm getting them where the extra holes don't show.
I have a little more sanding and then paint and the extra holes shouldn't show.

If you look Poverty they are cross 4. It was a booger with those 104 stainless spokes.
I'm going to redo them with the stainless 11 gauge stainless ones that Chuck donated.
With a cross 4 and those big spokes it will be like a solid rim. :lol:

Uncle Stretch said:
I took it all apart and filled the holes with liquid steel. I'm getting them where the extra holes don't show.
I have a little more sanding and then paint and the extra holes shouldn't show.

If you look Poverty they are cross 4. It was a booger with those 104 stainless spokes.
I'm going to redo them with the stainless 11 gauge stainless ones that Chuck donated.
With a cross 4 and those big spokes it will be like a solid rim. :lol:

Heavy duty spokes are my favorite. :D Chrome :D
They are so hard to find. If you have any Idea where to get them, please share. I really can't wait to see this all come together.
Another tip. Those nexus 3 speed hubs are really easy to take apart. If you ever wanted to paint the hub or powder coat it, you can. Simple. :D
Blue 8)

Yeah I did a video on how to take them apart. Its so simple but everybody thinks there is some big magic
to it.
Chuck has stainless spokes sometimes. He is a good guy and will make you a deal. His screen name is ind-chuckz.

Back