Sunday May 3rd, New London CT

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NLCTVWguy

Rollin' on 20's
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This weekend, our club kicks off the riding season with a nice easy get together and 6 mile ride.

We will meet at the Fort Trumbull State Park on East St. in New London, CT at 2:00 PM, Sunday May 3rd!
http://www.bareiss.net/bikeride.html

We will ride to Ocean Beach Park along Pequot Avenue, alongside Long Island Sound. Bring a bike lock, as the bikes are not allowed on the Boardwalk at Ocean Beach.

bikeride0726.jpg

On the return trip we will stop at Fred's Shanty for snacks and ice cream.

Expect an easy, level ride, a moderate to slow pace to accomodate older bikes (and possibly older knees!) and some traffic along the route.

All bikes are welcome on this season opener ride. Any single, 3-speed, 5-speed, or 10-speed bike will be a good choice for this ride with our group. Club members have extra bikes available if yours is not ready to ride, but call or email ahead of time:

[email protected] or (860) 912 6882.

See our whole 2009 ride schedule here:
http://www.bareiss.net/bikeride2009.html

See you there!
--Rob

pretty sure I'm going to be there Rob. Anyway I can twist your arm into a couple at The Dutch after?

Man, I need a kick in the head, I had planned on trying to get to this but got mixed up on the fact that it is this weekend, the whole month change thing threw me off. Instead I made plans to drive a rental car to my hometown in upstate NY to see family and also pick up a couple of bikes. D'oh!

WE plan on being there!..................If I can find it. :roll:

Always up for a cold one at the Dutch! You got it. I wish there was a bike rack over there...
Something we're working on with a brand new organization in town called "Bike New London".
Plans for infrastructure improvements and bike racks throughout the downtown.

bike_nl3.jpg

See you soon!

--Rob

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
pretty sure I'm going to be there Rob. Anyway I can twist your arm into a couple at The Dutch after?

KOTA said:
WE plan on being there!..................If I can find it. :roll:

It's not too hard to get here coming down from Massachusetts.

395 South to Exit 78, OR ... Rt 32 South all the way from Mass through Willimantic to 395 S in Norwich, to exit 78, whichever is closer to your area in Mass. Exit 78 is a left exit that puts you onto the southernmost stretch of Rt 32 and takes you right straight into downtown New London.

In New London, Rt 32 becomes Eugene O'Neill Drive. Take it all the way until you can't go straight no mo'. Turn left on Tilley St., then immediate right on Bank St. Go 1/4 mile, turn left at the next traffic light onto Howard St. About 1/2 mile, take your second left under the railroad tracks onto Walbach St. Take it to the end, Fort Trumbull State Park is ahead of you, entrance on the right. Parking is free and plenty of it.

twenty0804eminent.jpg

Call me at (860) 912 6882 if you have any questions or if the weather looks iffy and you're not sure if we'll ride. We are going to ride unless it's raining.

See you all there!

--Rob

Anybody going to this have an extra rear 27" rim? I need 2-3 but will take whatever I can get. shoot me an email thanks - CJ

cody-james said:
Anybody going to this have an extra rear 27" rim? I need 2-3 but will take whatever I can get. shoot me an email thanks - CJ

CJ- Come on over before or after the ride, I have a few you could choose from. Looking for a 5-speed? Schwinn or does it matter?

If you want we can just go over to the house after the ride, and everyone else who comes is invited too. I've got lots of parts to sell, trade, whatever. Just got in a huge collection of headlights and generators too... Perfect stuff for building those rat rods!

My house is about 1 mile from the starting point of the ride. Directions to my house are here:

http://www.bareiss.net/directions.html

The weather looks like it is going to be one of those days that's hard to forecast. We won't ride if it's raining or about to rain. I may postpone it if it looks like it's a little thing that will blow over and we'll just start a little late. I really don't know what we're going to get.

For any folks that come down a long distance, if we can't ride, everyone will be welcome to just come over, see the Stingray collection, have a coffee or a beer, and hang out in my (little) shop. Who knows you may go home with some treasures!

See you all there and call me for an update: (860) 912 6882.

--Rob

Here's one of the sights along the way... we were out for a little cruise tonight in my Bus. It just got back on the road with some new brakes and a whole new nose!

businspring4.jpg

The trees are all flowering along the ride route, it's pretty amazing!

businspring6.jpg

--Rob

Rob,

I really wish I could make this but I'm booked solid tommorrow. I will be at one of your rides this summer...you can count on that!

Dan

Preview of the Stingray collection:

8stings9.jpg

:)

--Rob

NLCTVWguy said:
For any folks that come down a long distance, if we can't ride, everyone will be welcome to just come over, see the Stingray collection, have a coffee or a beer, and hang out in my (little) shop. Who knows you may go home with some treasures!

See you all there and call me for an update: (860) 912 6882.

--Rob

Shortened by rain, but still fun.....Thanks Rob........New London has a lot of history and you turned a "dreary" day into something very interesting!

had a great albeit brief time Rob. Always fun coming down there to New London.

Cody James and KOTA
3501128078_fe9fd0e45c_b.jpg

Justin's sweet board tracker
3500313253_1fdb4f4f3c_b.jpg

CJ on his '82 Trek (first year for the MTB)
3500314495_9982e0485a_b.jpg

Justin leaving Rob in a trail of boardtrack dust (mist?)
3501132200_51b92b4e9d_b.jpg

KOTA and wifey
3500317215_4af95837bb_b.jpg

leave it to a Schwinn guy...
3501135142_245a768925_b.jpg

3500320341_e63a036005_b.jpg

cuz Rob loves that dirty water...oh, New London is his home...
3501141480_d8c628a3db_b.jpg

3500326297_cac162befd_b.jpg

3500327817_fd907fa50b_b.jpg

yum...
3501145718_b5b099e758_b.jpg

3500330815_d5a567fcc4_b.jpg

3500332569_916171e207_b.jpg

Haha yeah, it rained a lot, but we survived. Was a good turnout considering I got something like 20 cancellations. When nice weather comes, we'll have quite a number of folks here.

Justin's bike was out on its first ride, did great (with MY wheels, borrowed off my skiptooth ladies' Schwinn!) My wife had fun doing way-too-easy wheelies on my 68 Deluxe Stingray... Kota's wife was glad there was at least another woman to ride with on the ride, and we're all glad she decided to come along... the Ian, great riding with you as always, thank you for the pix, I've been too busy to get mine off the camera yet, and yes we need to go to the Dutch on a day that they're open... CJ, great to meet in person and looking forward to many upcoming deals... try to keep the Schwinns from dragging on the highway, lol... Dan, you found us despite our best efforts to hide, it was great seeing that black Typhoon come at us out of the rain ...scenery was great with all the flowering trees everywhere, but the sun STILL hasn't come out in old NL... the unofficial after-ride swap and bike-disassembly event went well... now you guys have a hint of the extent of my addiction... and everyone got a kick out of the old Bus, officially out for its first event of the year!

Pics soon, thanks for coming everyone, see you all next time!

--Rob

thatismytruck said:
KOTA's Wife's bike is great!! Slightly bent fork gives a hint of KOTA. I like Justin's new bike too. Did it rain a lot? too bad. I still wish I was there.

Back