TRADITIONAL SHAOLIN SPITFIRE (Wu Tang Forever)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to make a comment about matching nuts, but I won't.

That fender treatment has me intrigued. Following!

I mean...you don't want your nuts off balance. 🤣

I hit the fender with easy off, and rinsed it after a couple hours. It strips a lot of paint, but something I've noticed (after doing this on the frame previously) is the paint let's go in a similar way as aging.

What I mean by that is, the areas of paint that tend to chip off and wear over time are usually vulnerable parts of the paintjob. The oven cleaner eats through those same areas pretty readily. So if you don't leave it on too long, it will give you a very similar weathered look that is random and 'natural' looking.

After that, I dry brushed the fender with a coppertone, Pearl Ex powder. It clings more readily to cracks, crevices, and edges of the paint. My idea was to make it look like burnoff. So you get hints of 'embers' along edges (like burning paper). Additionally, it gave the frame a bronzed look in areas. I am anticipating the same for the fender. In direct sunlight the bits of flake in the pearl should really sing as well.

I mean...you don't want your nuts off balance. 🤣

Don't you mean ball-ance?

1718639871203.png

With the change in rake at the fork, I am going to need to pull the end of the fender back to about 11 o'clock instead of midnight (where I usually end a bobbed fender). It gives a nice laidback vibe, and maintains the fluidity of the lines.

20240619_125840.jpg

20240619_125852.jpg

20240619_125902.jpg

20240619_125917.jpg

Because I'm using the original front fender (rear fender is too bent up), the bottom end will sit just behind the chainguard. As a result, I'll need to fabricate a bracket in order to attach the fender to the lower frame mount.

Because I'm using the original front fender (rear fender is too bent up), the bottom end will sit just behind the chainguard. As a result, I'll need to fabricate a bracket in order to attach the fender to the lower frame mount.

I may just cut the lower end of the other fender, then rivet them together for the added length.

Today has entailed, problem solving the fender mount, and fabricating a bracket.

As previously mentioned, I want the fender tip to end at about 11 o'clock so it kind of replicates the arc of the cantilever in the frame. However, I used the original front fender, and it is too short. The rear fender was pretty bent up, but I salvaged a portion to use (as an extension), if needed.

I figured I would try using the fender bracket from the 16" bike that the triple tree came off of. Man, the welds on this are solid. Thought I could pop them 🤣 ...cutting it is.

20240620_161430.jpg

20240620_161424.jpg

Will need to clean it up, but It's very sturdy, and looks intentional? 🤷‍♂️

20240620_181551.jpg

20240620_181559.jpg

Fenders are looking great. They fit the build well and I like the positioning you have planned.

Back