TRADITIONAL SUPER ELLIOT

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
finished.jpg

BUILD THREAD - here

Super Elliot bicycles were made in Adelaide, South Australia from the 1920s to the 1970s. This example is from 1974, near the end of that run. Elliot Bros is still trading as a multi-brand shop in the city.

But I’d been interested in acquiring a trike for some time and when this example showed up cheap on Marketplace, the day Build-off 19 opened, well, I took it as an omen and drove 45 minutes south of Brisbane to pick it up.

It was in worse condition than any of the other bikes I’ve restored, but seemed a worthy build-off challenge. So I started stripping down, soaking the heavily rusted components in metal rescue and preparing it for paint straight away.

The goal with this one was to try and use as much of the stock of bicycle parts that I have accumulated over time as possible. I had a lot of the build already sitting on my shelves.

I bought spray.bike paint, decals, a taller stem and a new crank set. Pretty much everything else on the bike now was in stock from other builds or take-offs – or repaired.

Originally, I had intended to make it a 3-wheel sport machine. Like a bike that had been converted to flat bar single speed city bike – but with three wheels. And I got some way down that path.

flatbar.jpg

But when I fitted the leather ‘trunk’ I had a change of plan and decided it would be better kept as a traditional build – but made to suit a 6’4” rider – and that’s what I have now. M bars and all.

finback.jpg

I’ve started using it for my regular 25km Sunday ride to the dog treats stall at the local markets and it’s great fun - and still the scariest thing I’ve ever ridden. But I’m much faster on it now than those first tentative runs.

The 3-speed gears work well with the vintage Cyclo derailleur, and it covers distance surprisingly well. And with good comfort.

It’s a nice addition to the fleet.

finalcc.jpg

A few B & As.

ba1.jpg

ba2.jpg

ba3.jpg

ba4.jpg

ba5.jpg

I appreciate the help and encouragement from the members here – you know who you are. :)

Cheers
Dave.

Last edited:
Back