Surprise

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drove two hours to pick up a restored 1956 Roadmaster but I came home with an all original 1955 Schwinn Corvette. I couldn't be happier!
184-1-1.jpg

Cool find! I love me some old Schwinns. I only have 5 so far. Might be getting number 6 this weekend.

Thanks for sharing those great ads wildcat! Could you send me the link to those? I really like how the brown saddle looks on this bike. That's actually what I had in mind.

Sweet find bradleyd83 :!: I just bought a women's in blue in very good original condition.The hub is stamped '54 with headlight and lucky 7 seatpost.It will be fully rebuilt and detailed for my Mom's Christmas present.(Although the seatpost will probably find it's way onto my green Phantom)
Did anyone notice the tire size listed in the specifications on the page provided by Wildcat?1.75" :?: I thought Schwinns took
1 3/4"...... :lol:

Speaking of headlights on early Corvettes, what kind would it have been? A Miller light and generator was on my '55 when I got it and I wanted to know if that would have been correct.

It appears that this saddle isn't correct. The one that appears in the ad is brown and mine is the monogrammed two-tone saddle. My research has shown that didn't come out until '59. Can anyone back this up? I'm actually not going to make this a period correct bike but I'm curious.

bradleyd83 said:
That's a neat looking saddle. What other Schwinn's do you have outskirt?

I've got a '54 Schwinn Wasp girl's
a '56 American girl's
a '58 American boy's
a '60 unknown boy's
a '68 Hollywood girl's
and getting a '60's Heavy duty hopefully tomorrow.

bradleyd83 said:
Nice collection! Hope the Heavy Duti purchase works out. I would love to have one myself. What color is it?
The heavy duty he said is a copper color that someone tried to spray black. It is from a fellow RRB member. I'm trading for it tomorrow. Haven't seen pics yet but it sounds cool and comes with the original parts, just need a few dents taken out of the fenders and chain guard. I got a few tricks for removing spraybomb without harming original paint that I will try first. If nothing else I'll rat it out and make the purists cry.

I've never seen one of those brown seats pictured in Findley on a Corvette or any other Schwinn. The early Corvettes I've seen had a kind of funky shaped two tone seat with a crash bar but with no "S". The later Corvettes had the two tone seats with the crash bar and the "S", and they were a much nicer shaped seat with heavier springs. I'm not saying the brown seats don't exist, just that I've never seen one. Maybe a one year only or just very rare. Gary

Back