Swap Meet Special

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This is ANOTHER build i'm doing. I know, I have too many already but... this one is a 24" frame that I don't know what manufacturer made it but it will fit really easy in the trunk of my car when I go to L.A. so I don't have to drive my truck which is a gas hog! Anyway, this whole bike has been pieced together from our very own swap meet forum (hence the name). Thanks to everyone for the great parts. I desperately NEED some 24"x3" tires for this so please pm me if you guys have anything. I'd like blackwall Thick bricks or some whitewall Fatti-O's would be kool too. The plan is to fill in the tank completely, fill behind the seat and where the kickstand goes, and paint the bike white with bright red scallops on it like the So-Cal speed shop 32 ford paint scheme. Pretty much it will be my impression of a hot rod bike. This is a very basic mock up. More pictures soon when I get some tires and the fork chopped down and mounted up.
Photo1285s.jpg

K 8) 8) l, Lookin start so far; got a paint sceem in mind ? i got some 24'' 3 G's buy the way...lmk

It's going to be white with red scallops in front like the so-cal speed shop 32 ford roadster.

I like the look so far. I was going to do my schwinn tornado is a so-cal theme. So-Cal speed shop here in Sac has some cool metal badges that you can use on the bike. And from time to time on ebay you can find older so-cal waterslide decals. Looking forward to more updates, and had fun riding with you the other day.

Good looking lines on this one.
What stem are you running?
I've been looking far a stem like that with very little extension on it.

No stem yet. That's just taped on there with some masking tape. :D
Hey Skills, I had fun riding with you too man. Come out more often. Stockton bike show will be a good one. April 10th. I posted it in the events section.

Thanks! Ya it's a Shelby crank. I want to run it but the gearing will be too tough to ride considering how small this bike is. I'll test it out when I get some tires on it and a stem.

Update!! Ok I really wanted to save this build for the RRB's build off but i'm doing frame mods so it would be disqualified and I honestly can't wait any longer to finish this one! So here's what i've done so far. I decided to chop down the neck a bit to "squash" the headbadge and headlight right in between upper and lower fork plates. It would essentially tidy things up a bit, so I chopped a 1/4 inch off top and bottom. I know it's only a 1/2 inch but looks are everything to me.
Photo1300smaller.jpg

Next I threw a seat up there to see how peddling will be. Not to bad considering this is a 24" frame and sits pretty low but I don't want to hit my knees to my chest so i've decided to move the seatpost back 2" to put the seat a lot closer to the rear tire like a typical bobber motorcycle would be. It also makes the frame and gaps flow better. So I will have to pie cut the seat tube down at the bottom bracket in back, cut the welds up top and pull the seat tube back until it touches the rear fender mount/frame spacer bar right in front of the rear tire there. I was going to go the easy way out and just make a lucky 7 style seatpost to move the seat back but asthetically again, it would clean things up.
Photo1297smaller.jpg
Photo1298smaller.jpg
So here's a before, side shot before I cut and tilt that seatpost back where I want it. I will cut the bottom of the top tube off where it hangs under the cantilever bars and cap it off. The bike will be getting a welded in tank also so the frame will be smoothed out and cleaned up like a high tech hot rod would be. More updates to come so stay tuned!!
Photo1299smaller.jpg

Thanks!!!! Just a repop chopper fork. You can change the height to any size then just chop the top of the tubes down where you need them. I have about 1/16 clearance between the tire and the bottom plate. Just the way I like it. Nice and low with tight clearances! Hopefully I doon't get a rock stuck in the tire! :shock:

Which 1? There's 2 in that picture. The wifes in back and mine in front.

Looking good! Just a suggestion but if you have an old girls frame laying around you can cut the top tube off it and use it for a new seat tube. I do this on some of my bikes. I think they look good with some curve to the seat tube. Here are links to a couple I have done.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12485

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9206

That's a really good idea! I didn't even think of that? Thanks!!!

So I decided to not lean the seatpost back for the simple fact that thelines wouldn't flow anymore. Look at the headtube and the fork, perfectly parallel. The seat post is also parallel so if I layed it back it just wouldn't look right. Anyway, onto the progress. Here's the stock wannabe tank. Very ugly and too fake for me so here's my template to fill it in.
Photo1328smaller.jpg
Photo1329smaller.jpg
I removed the plate and the screws before I welded in the tank just in case those screws came loose and the metal decided to flop around in there. I wouldn't want a rattle in the tank. Next I moved on to the rear wheel spacing. I honestly don't like the open frame look so I decided to fill in behind the BB and the back of the seatpost tube to clean things up quite a bit. I also decided to weld an internal nut to hold the kickstand down so i can just run a typical aftermarket bolt on kickstand. Yes they are ugly but i'm honestly tired of seeing guys at shows looking for a block to put under the pedals! And i sure ain't leaning it against anything after I do all the paint work.
Photo1340smaller.jpg
Photo1341smaller.jpg
Photo1334smaller.jpg
So here's a couple more mock up pictures of it together in 1 piece before the tank pieces were welded in. More to come.......
Photo1325smaller.jpg
Photo1326smaller.jpg
Photo1324smaller.jpg

Cool :shock: Looks like it would fit me perfect :mrgreen: Fat tires,triple trees, it all looks great 8)

Thanks!It's 27 1/2" tall from the ground to the top of the seat so it's a little on the tiny side but rideable.

Back