Swingrat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder why the original swingbikes didn't have this problem? Strong fork or the brace is higher up on the rear fork.
View attachment 237631

The bend is right after the upper brace. Maybe it should be higher.
View attachment 237632

Here's one idea that might work. I'll have to get some pipe and try to see how it fits.:
View attachment 237630
Looks like it's just sliding out of the dropout under the weight of a rider. Is there a way to make a lawyer tab for the bottom fork/dropout? Seems like if the axle remained all the way forward in the drop out, the fork would be plumb.

20230621_174543.jpg

"Upon further review":bigboss:

This will work with the original layout as I had planned. I need to find a way to bend it back to get enough clearance and weld in a support from the crown to the BB. Depending on the space the wheel needs, it may be a straight line or possibly curved.

I need to shorten the space where the red line is an inch or so to get the pedals back up to a decent height.
23 Jun 23 upr.jpg

Last edited:
"Upon further review":bigboss:

This will work with the original layout as I had planned. I need to find a way to bend it back to get enough clearance and weld in a support from the crown to the BB. Depending on the space the wheel needs, it may be a straight line or possible curved.

I need to shorten the space where the red line is an inch or so to get the pedals back up to a decent height.
View attachment 237961
That would certainly help reduce some flex if you think that will fix it. I had planned to do that on my swing bike if I ever get back to it to make sure flex is minimized

If the wheel is exiting the dropout, you could try welding some metal on the top of the dropout and smoothing it in, and notch out the bottom of the dropout to keep the wheel from exiting while riding.

As for bending, sometimes a hammer (rubber mallet) can be a great tool for something you can't put on a mandrel. Not sure eif it would work here...

I have no slippage of the rear wheel in the dropout. I plan on attaching the frame back on that section and using it for leverage to bend it back. It bent by pedaling so it should bend back without much problem, in theory. I'm waiting for it to cool off late this afternoon to give it a try. Then finding some metal for the support and getting it welded in.

02 Jun 23 brake - Copy.jpg

I stripped it down and just leaned my weight on the end and it's bent back. With an extra 1/4 inch for good measure. I'll have to refit the lock bar.
23 Jun 23 frame.jpg

Digging through all my scrap, a part of the frame used for one of the headtubes may work as a support. I just need to trim the ends to fit for welding.
23 Jun 23 bar.jpg

Plenty of clearance for the tire. Since I have to repaint, I may try to do a splatter paint job again. The purple bar is from my wife's bike (she asked where her purple bike went right after I cut it up, but she approved of it the week before :39:).
I will use red instead of pink with the purple and see how it looks. I may add some black accents also.

28 Jun 23 bar.jpg

I mean the other part of the frame. Perhaps you’ll find out what I mean when you actually ride it.
:thumbsup:That's right, it will take some twisting force as the bike swings. If so, I'll have a brace welded in between the bars about halfway. Then this thing will really weigh a ton. The pipe I used is pretty thick and was hard to bend so I'm hopeful I won't need to do any more work on the frame.

Last edited:
Pipe? Like water pipe?

Well it will go good downhill!
I used a 12 foot piece of waterpipe the wife had as a clothesline when we first moved in. It wasn't used since the shop is where the clothes hang now.
06 May 23 tube cutter.jpg

It's almost together, just the chain and brake cable and I'm testing it. If I need more pedal clearance, I have a longer bolt that works with the springer that will raise the front an inch or two if it needs it.

29 Jun 23 paint1.jpg

29 Jun 23 assembly.jpg

I've got two longer bolts and a bigger spring. The shortest bolt is the size that comes with the springer. With spacers I will be able to get the front at a better angle for steering also. Right now it's a little floppy.

30 Jun 23 springer parts.jpg

Latest posts

Back