SwingThatMuscle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwissGuy

Professional Amateur Tinkerer
Pro Member
Reaction score
My dear fellow RatRodders, may I present you

text-1689710919525.png

SwingBike_23 Beach Shot cropped.jpg

...a muscle bike with a twist or might I say with a swing?
241259-20230715-101934.JPG

Anyway this bike twists and swings when ridden with a kids heart and makes almost everyone smile, especially the rider!
241266-20230715-102346.JPG

So come and swing with me...

The very first Swing Bikes were built in the US in the early and mid seventies. My first contact with a Swing Bike happened somewhere in the eighties, when I got one to try out for a few days from a local bike shop that had a homebuilt fleet of freak bikes (offcenter wheels, counter steering, ...). I fell in love with the feeling to ride one and wanted one ever since. But for many years I couldn't wrap my head around how to build one without knowing to weld...
Earlier this year I once again got sucked into a y-tube wormhole and jumped from one swingbike video to the next. At one time the idea started forming in my head how to build one without welding. I knew from building my take apart bikes (Capitan Terror and EggBeater) that on some bikes the diameters of top and down tube corresponded in a way that one could slide into the other. So I guessed that if I found two similar ladies frames with straight downtubes that probably might work as well.
I bought two beat down lady bikes and hey: it worked. So I built my first swing bike the Kirsch Special.
With the experience of that first build I wanted to build another one with some changes. First it had to be smaller, so that hopefully one of my kids would be able to ride it and second I wanted to put in a smaller front wheel to make the headtube angles a bit steeper to improve the swing handling. So I went for the search for two 26" lady frames and that's where this journey started...

Here are some more shots of my twisted creation:
SwingBike_7.1 Lined Up.jpg

SwingBike_1.1.jpg

SwingBike_11.1 Angled.jpg

SwingBike_12.1 Lined Up back Lake LookOut.jpg

Some detail shots:

the top tubes
SwingBike_14 Detail top bar.jpg

the second pivot
SwingBike_15 Detail pivot.jpg

stress relief to avoid bending the stear tube of the second pivot
SwingBike_17 Detail stress relief.jpg

front fender mount
SwingBike_18 Detail front fender mount.jpg

headbadge sticker
SwingBike_19 Detail headbadge.jpg

cable ties from bike tubes
SwingBike_13 Detail.jpg

the little monster rear fender ornament
SwingBike_16 Detail monster.jpg

This is where I started (I tried the 20" fork but it dropped the front too low...)
SwingBike_20 PoP.jpg

the top tubes sliding into each other
SwingBike_21 TopBar Mod.jpg

the fork for the second pivot, bent in triangular shape with the help of some relief cuts
SwingBike_22 Fork Mod.jpg

So far I spent around 65.- € for the whole build:
50 for the frames​
10 for the nuts and bolts​
5 for the handlebar​
all the other stuff came either with the bikes or was already on stock...​
Revenue in terms of fun I get out of this bike: PRICELESS! :113:

Yes you can park it like this...
SwingBike_2.1 Twisted.jpg

or like this...
SwingBike_5.1 Angled.jpg

...and of course also like this:
SwingBike_3.1 PoP.jpg

Now go and build one for yourself! You won't regret it!

Last edited:
Looks awesome swissG, love the way it looks to be a jumbled wreck but its not, folds out into one of the more impressive show bikes around!
very well done on the "no welds" bike! I was scepticle at first but can see that counter leverage apparatus you have there, very clever!

Swapped out the top shot and added a new ride video into the top post. Have a look! :wink1:
Looks awesome swissG, love the way it looks to be a jumbled wreck but its not, folds out into one of the more impressive show bikes around!
very well done on the "no welds" bike! I was scepticle at first but can see that counter leverage apparatus you have there, very clever!
Thank you! Just yesterday I parked it in the "jumbled wreck mode" in front of the bakery and immediately caught the attention of another client. Main question always is: Why? My answer always is: Because it works and because it's fun! :giggle:
Your so crafty 😁. Love that you can actually see it's two bikes.
Thank you! Like this it's much easier to explain to people how I built this! :grin:
A folding swing bike. I love it. I also like that you have left the 2 colors as is.
Glad you like it! First I thought of painting it, but the colors grew on me and especially the design on the Mars stickers I liked too much to destroy it. Unfortunately most of the Herkules stickers where gone after I had removed the ugly black duct tape. But at least the duct tape residue left a nice ratina on the front part of the frame.
clever solutions as usual. Well done.
Thank you! I'm lucky that I could test the build principle before the build off already on my first swing bike. :wink1:
Love this build and love how much fun you are having with it! It all just flows together super cool!
Well done brother!!!!
Happy you like it! It's a dream of my youth come true. I feel at least 30 years younger, when riding this fun little bike!
Such a great build! Ride photos really highlights its function, so cool!
Thank you! The idea for those came by accident, when I set the action cam into the wrong mode when I wanted to shoot a video of me riding the other swing bike.

Very cool bike! I really want to build one of these now, I'll be keeping an eye out for a couple of good donor drop-tube bikes. The whole build is very clever in it's seeming simplicity and can be built without welding. Love it! The German hip-hop song in the 1st video is cool too. Nicely done! :113:

Back