Tank for a '63 womens 24" schwinn

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I was wondering what tank I could buy(ebay, local, etc) that would fit and look good on a 63 breeze?

I redid the bike as a Rat Fink bike for the old lady, but she kinda wants a tank on it and I dont blame her cause they look great.

Im not Overly concerned with being stock equip or even a shwinn part, but would a tank from a 26" womens bike fit the same??

I need some ideas from you masters of ratrodding!!!

Here is the bike, tell me it wouldnt look sweet with a tank...
And thinking about changing the neck to the green, and maybe the forks too...

RatSphinx said:
I've seen tanks on 20", 24", 26" bikes. Do you need one? :wink: :?:

But is it the same size tank on the various bikes?

But, yes I do...
You got some options for me?
Pics at least??

I've got some tanks, I'll be digging out lots of parts from the basement to sell this week. Will post pics as soon as I find the stuff I'm looking for.

SactoCruiser said:
RatSphinx said:
I've seen tanks on 20", 24", 26" bikes. Do you need one? :wink: :?:

But is it the same size tank on the various bikes?

But, yes I do...
You got some options for me?
Pics at least??

Schwinn post war girls tanks are interchangeable on 26", 24", and 20" bikes. This is the full size tank I'm referring to, not the skinny tank that hangs from clips on the frame. For the full size tank, they made 2 styles. One embossed with the wing graphic and one smooth. You should be able to get one for around $20 in paintable condition. One with a working horn will cost you more. Gary

Re: Tank for a '63 womens 24" schwinn

Yep, that tank will definitely work, here's one on my daughter's 20" Lil' Chik.

DSCF3056.jpg

Go for it!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Thanks guys, exactly the info i needed!

I have that purple tank from ebay on my watchlist.... time to click a bid i guess!

Btw, any thoughts on my bike??

I dunno if I like that orange neck and/or black forks, maybe they should be green like the rest of the frame??

that bike is my first 100% complete build.....

Here, the finishing touch for the wheels...
These dang valve stem covers were really hard to find... nobody local carries them, the shipping was 2x$$ the parts!!

Yeah, let's see what the market bears on that sucker. I might be able to beat the price. Don't go all hog-wild bidding on it, it's not the last girls tank in the world.

SactoCruiser said:
Thanks guys, exactly the info i needed!

I have that purple tank from ebay on my watchlist.... time to click a bid i guess!

That's the embossed tank. Notice how the wing design is raised. The smooth tank is pretty boring looking. I'd go for an embossed for sure. I like your bike, but I don't count. How does your girl like it? That's all that counts. Gary

RatSphinx said:
Yeah, let's see what the market bears on that sucker. I might be able to beat the price. Don't go all hog-wild bidding on it, it's not the last girls tank in the world.

Yeah?? Good, because Ill probably be going thru you to get one if you have one similar... It took me 7 bids to beat the other bidders highest bid, then a couple hours later he/she upped it again... its now above $20 and Id be willing to bet he put it up $25/30.... So by the time all is said and done, this particular tank is getting expensive...

Right now, including shipping, it's over $30.00. A lot of the time the fighting don't start til the end. I never bid until the end. If you bid half way into the Auction, that just encourages Shill Bidding.

Back