thats the last can of rustoleum i'll ever purchase!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i rue the day i purchased my first can of rustoleum!
frustration in a can i tell ya.

i see lots of you guys using rustoleum and ya seem to have good results. i gotta tell ya my experiances have been very different.

i'm a die hard krylon fan. unfortunatly, the closest hardware store to my home is a rona, and rona doesn't carry krylon. for this reason (ease of location) i've purchased 4 cans to date. i keep giving them chances to impress me, and they just keep letting me down.

first can -nothing! it was full of paint, just no propellant.
second can- it worked this time, but the paint came out in big globs, some bubbles and just dripped from the nossle. i tried inverting the can to clean the tip and it would build up at the nossle splattering and bubbling.checked for debrit, but there was no saving the can.
thrid can - this was the best yet. removed the trigger lock, pulled back to hear a snap.
can you say paint grenade? i believe the entire can empitied in the course of approx 30 seconds.
needless to say it was a good thing i was wearing crappy threads. i was covered in paint!

so it's been over a year, found myself at rona and needed a small amount of red paint.
instead of driving across the city, i figured i'd give the rustoleum one more chance.

shoulda just lit the $10 on fire!
the can seemed to have way to much presure. when you release the trigger it sounds more like an air tool than a can of paint. it wasn't sitting in the sun, it wasn't hot outside, it wasn't in a warm location, but the second i pulled the trigger, i was covered in paint. it leaked from the nossle, the sides and bottom of the trigger and just about everywhere else.
nwwyh0.jpg

i'm done, they wont ever see another penny from my wallet.

rant over, i feel better already. :)

Oh man! I have a can of that in hammered finish that I bought on sale, hope it doesn't do the same thing. I usually use krylon myself or duplicolor with excellent results. Guess I better put on some coveralls before I crack that paint open just in case.

I would imagine , if you put the same rant into a letter to Krylon ,that they would send you some replacement paint. I griped to Pepsi on their 2 liters not having fizz. They sent me bunches of coupons for free product and told me they were sorry. Lots better to tell them than us. I hate bad paint. :x :x :x

That can style might be the problem. I get the cheapest at Walmart for about 4 bucks a can and have only had a can of white clog up. That's over 10 years and a lot of painting. I have only used the gloss enamel, except for the hammered on my folder build. I used 3 different colors of hammered and they all did well. I just painted a rack for my old Schwinn, and the paint I did on the bike 2 years ago still matches up to the new red. I thought I had a bad can, but it took awhile to get the ball bearing loose to mix up the paint. Rustoleum is thick paint. If it's cool outside, it is tough to get a good finish. It says 55 or higher, but I only paint when it gets above 70.

And the paint, air temp, and temp of the steel all have to be about the same.

vanilla_gorilla said:
haha the new krylons must have some sort of new formula cuz ive been getting great results. although i would love a proper gun setup

just to be clear, rustoleum and krylon are 2 different companys.

i love krylon, hate rustoleum!

i'm no stranger to rattle cans. i paint murals as a form of extra income. bedrooms, outside walls etc etc. if its out there i've tried it, and i usually get excellent results.

that being said, rustoleum has been 4 for 4 when it comes to being completely useless.

I've had good results using duplicolor automotive wheel paint, I've only used it to paint my van's stock steel rims, and it came out pretty good, seems to be pretty durable too. Limited color selection though, I plan on painting my cruiser frame with the stuff

Pushing the trigger on a can of rustoleum can be like pulling the pin on a grenade.

Try the house brand at Lowes. Lots of cool colors and no fancy plastic trigger to ruin your day.

Jeff

It's funny because the only paint in a can I have found that I really like is rustoleum :lol: . I've never used a can like the one you have pictured though. I always use rustoleum american accents, painters touch, and painters touch 2x. For me they cover better than any other kind I've tried. I like Krylon too and duplicolor has some nice paints, but you have to be a little more careful with duplicolor not to make it run.

I've tried Rustoleum, not with that nozzle. I had no problems, flowed out nice, smooth and shiny. The problem: IT TAKES WAY TO LONG TO CURE!.....WAY TO LONG. Can said acrylic lacquer, but dried like synthol enamel. And if you mess up, ya ain't painting over it............Krylon or Dupli- Color, can't beat em.

buy a horror fright hvlp theyre really cheap and with a bit of tweeking they can lay paint down great....rattle can is for guide coat :lol:
but if i HAVE to use spray paint i go with testors (cheap and you can get small cans and they have a huge color selection)...

I've used rustoleum metallic, primer, crystal clear enamel, and the general purpose stuff with that funky trigger. No problems. I've used krylon and duplicolor as well, also with great results. Duplicolor was the most durable but expensive. Rustoleum had the colors and finishes I've always wanted, but the cure time is long.

I've used Krylon and Duplicolor on bikes and Rustoleum on some outside electrical boxes. I guess I'm lucky as I've had good luck with all. I'll think twice about buying Rustoleum after seeing your paint bomb! :shock:
Duplicolor makes a maroon that is about an exact copy of the old Schwinn maroon. Hard to find good maroon. The electrical boxes were painted with Rustoleum primer and paint about 15 yrs ago and the paint is still in good condition. I've got to admit the Rustoleum is some pretty durable paint for outside.

It seems to me the Krylon takes waaaaaay too long to cure. The tape masking for the second color will leave a mark on the paint if you try another coat too soon. Gary

B607 said:
It seems to me the Krylon takes waaaaaay too long to cure. The tape masking for the second color will leave a mark on the paint if you try another coat too soon. Gary

did you use the krylon or krylon fusion? i find krylon to be one of the quicker drying paints.
after just 5 hours, of drying time. i firmly held a piece of paper to these struts, traced the image with a ball point pen (leaving an impression in the paint)
paper didn't stick, no finger prints then straight to painting.
abm8sy.jpg

i find the trick is multiple thin layers of paint dry really quickly. if you lay it on thick (one/two coats, it seems to take much longer to dry.

Back