The 1901 Mixte

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finished up the handlebars and made the chain wheel a skip tooth. It will only work with a standard chain, it's not a real skip tooth.
19 Jun 23 almost.jpg
19 Jun 23 chain wheel.jpg
19 Jun 23 skip tooth.jpg

Love how you build stuff I don't imagine it's easy finding resources on the Philippines yet always manage to build something cool
I have access to lots of Chinese parts. The local bike shops all have the same inventory which is limited, but we have online shopping like Amazon, over here it's called Shopee or Lazada. All the cottered stuff is still made and sometimes I find old stock parts for sale online. Big cities like Manila have tons of shops. The only thing I can't get is a good classic American frame. They have them but want top dollar, or only will sell the whole bike for twice their value. Right now I'm waiting on some foot pegs, they commonly ride passengers on bikes here, usually someone standing on the rear axle as they ride through town.

The pegs showed up, this bike has one, and The Wright Special got the other one. Just the kickstand remains and it's finished.
19 Jun 23 mounting peg.jpg

19 Jun 23 mounting peg.jpg

They look a little too long, I'll trim them tomorrow. They should look more like this:
1687178357435.png

Last edited:
I had trouble visualizing how this was going to turn out early on but it’s sweet! It’s got a great vintage vibe. The 27” wheels, copper accents and faux skip tooth really make it for me. Nice work!

This really came out well brother! Excellent transformation. I especially like the skippy danger grinder and the copper accents.

That single foot peg... is that an homage to the peg one uses to mount a penny farthing?
Like the Penny Farthing, they also used those on the early bikes. That's where I got the idea. They were all very large frames even though the average rider height wasn't that tall. Most needed a peg to get up and going.

Here's a Wright Bros bike with a mounting peg:
1688702182789.png

1896, Main Street, Ottawa. Note the riders utilizing the mounting pegs
View attachment 239956
I love that photo, that's downtown in Canada's capital
I thought I had the peg on the wrong side, but this pic shows them on the left side as I have it.
But no kickstand on these bikes.
I'll have to make a change even though I posted it in finished I still have time for a minor adjustment or two.

Latest posts

Back