The Amsterback V2

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
It took me 9 months, but here is my re-purposed Diamondback MTB. My initial inspiration was the Electra Amsterdam Ballooner, hence the name.
inspiration:
ElectraAmsterdamBalloon8DBlackMen.jpg

before:
DSCF2121.jpg

v1:
DSCF2537.jpg

trial bike brake shoes, this thing stops on a dime! BTW, the green things on the seatpost are color rings from my blood pressure medicine. They are there to remind me why I built this bike, to one day not have them anymore.
DSCF2543.jpg

Schwinn OCC crankset (stripped chainring, painted cranks). Kinda reminds me of an old Hawthorne.
DSCF2542.jpg

bars wrapped in brown cloth handlebar tape, light courtesy of DonOne. Thanks buddy!
DSCF2540.jpg

brass Crane bell from Cycology, again compliments of DonOne!
DSCF2541.jpg

DSCF2538.jpg

Hope you like it!

Cheers!
Dr. T

Re: The Amsterback V1

smoooooth move! especially appreciating your keeping the gears . always wanted to design a quick release for one of those bells so that I could transfer it to the grocery cart when I go shopping.

Very cool - and I really like the colour combo! 8)
Let's go for a ride!
007-5.jpg

Guys,
Thanks so much for all the positive comments! They mean a lot to me. I still have to iron out a few details. The chain is 'grabbing' onto the front sprocket, so I'll have to narrow the teeth up with the Dremel. Also, I removed the rear wheel to fix something stupid and now the brakes are squealing BAD! I'm gonna hopefully have time this weekend to reset the wheel and research brake adjustment on Sheldon Brown's site.

Then hopefully get a ride(s) in!

Cheers!
Dr. T

dont know if this will fix your brake squeal but I have found that if you toe -in the pads slightly it woks. if the pads are glazed I scuff them on the sidewalk

Good advice on both accounts. I keep some 300 grit sandpaper in my bike tool box for the same reason.

Excellent bike, you've built, Tankster ! You know, it's allways nice to see a creative mind at work. Gives me an idea for a rebuild of an old Batavus-bike, that I haven't used for a century or two. Have fun with it and as you probably know: bike-riding has a calming effect on the mind. So use that, instead of pills.

does the chain pop off the front sprocket when in the lowest or highest gear? i see that is a single speed sprocket

Back