The Breeze

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here I go, starting another build with one in each of the other catagories under way. I think I have enough time to finish all three before the deadline. If not, oh well it's good fun anyway. I am thinking about building a Breeze #1 tribute bike. Not a replica because I know that I don't have all of the era correct components, let alone the right
JOE BREEZER #1  .png
IMG_2223.JPG
frame itself. I am considering a build that pays homage to Joe Breeze and the first Breezer and the emergance of mountain biking in North America. This would be more of a tip of the hat, so to speak. How hard can it be, right?

Fabricating and painting done. I chose this colour because many accounts of Breezer #1 describe the paint, at its debut Repack race, as being red primer. In the photo, the color looks to me to be definately brown. Maybe the color in the old photo is not true to life? The twin latterals tubes were donated by a garden swing canopy and the fork truss rods came from a discarded lawn chair. I made the Mickey Mouse out of 1/8" aluminum plate, I plan to make one out of steel if this aluminum one doesn't prove to be strong enough.
IMG_2245.JPG

Garden swing canopy and lawn chair steel. I'm not sure why Joe put the laterals on the first bike but I believe it was to buttress the lower part of the headtube against all the beating the front end takes. When he was making his first bike the heaviest tubing was for touring bikes so probably the fork needed that extra from the truss rods to be strong enough. I've never heard how they fared long term. I can tell you I raced against several of these in Northern California in the very early 1980's klunker races.

Garden swing canopy and lawn chair steel. I'm not sure why Joe put the laterals on the first bike but I believe it was to buttress the lower part of the headtube against all the beating the front end takes. When he was making his first bike the heaviest tubing was for touring bikes so probably the fork needed that extra from the truss rods to be strong enough. I've never heard how they fared long term. I can tell you I raced against several of these in Northern California in the very early 1980's klunker races.
Apreciate your input Tallbikeman. From what I have read, the klunker frames were prone to breakage after repeated rough use in the mountains. The addition of the two laterals effectively doubles the number of triangles and makes each triangle smaller. I would think that the frame would be stiffer and the tubes (pipes) would be less susceptable to stress fracture. When chromoly aircraft tubing was used to build the frames it was found that the laterals were not needed. This resulted in a lighter frame that required less material and labour to produce.

I was able to get the bottom bracket serviced and installed and wheels trial fitted in between bouts of snow shovelling. I got used to the look of this bare frame and now it looks so different with wheels under it. I kicked myself for not noticing that the frame and fork don't have canti mounts before I got to paint. Oh well, the impatience of youth. lol. I will have to mount calipers on this beast. The brakes will certainly not be the only deviation from the original Breezer #1 prototype.
IMG_2251.JPG

Very nicely done Breezer tribute!
Thanks Pondo. The idea for this build has been whirling around in my mind for a long time and it seems that the timing was right to make it a reality now. It has been great fun and very satisfying as well.

I love themed bike builds! Nearly every one of mine was generated from a particular inspiration or life event.

This is really cool! I like how it has that look of old school, customized. Somebody would look at it and say,
"Cool bike. I wonder which manufacturer produced that?"

Finished coincidentally on Joe Breeze's birthday. First ride today in snow.View attachment 219322
I’m currently building a clone like yours. I’ve been trying to decide weather to leave the forward facing drops or replace them with track style rear fork ends. I keep vacillating between leaving the drops alone, which would be easiest, or doing another track style replacement. I did that type if replacement once and they are a lot of work. Your beautiful result is inspiring me to start working on my second one again.
B6FCCCCF-61D3-4E5C-BB24-94ABED09F29D.jpeg

54D77937-A1B9-47BD-B7BE-89E1CB39F047.jpeg
7340C9C5-2B98-4A9D-978B-0C8BD7518348.jpeg

D119F831-4C44-4505-A316-2DD0F6818D31.jpeg

1B9E4028-8787-4BDD-A295-39B8B829ED3B.jpeg

My current Breezer 1 clone, I’ve been fussing with it for about 11 months. The laterals are made from junk bicycle chain and seat stays brazed end to end.
7A0AC3C5-65C3-4071-9FE7-92DE509815C3.jpeg
E0E234E6-A2E2-44AF-B7E5-A534CEFADDA2.jpeg

974BA62C-6D4F-4825-9B09-D318EC5EDB38.jpeg

809B1FDB-C23E-4ABF-97A3-B8AEDEAC78E6.jpeg

C92BAF6A-EC54-44DE-8186-3F2439C4A22A.jpeg

Original type TA Cyclotourist crank in the box.
09C4CB69-60F1-4519-94F1-B04431166F46.jpeg

The wheels using steel rims as original. Most people replaced the steel with alloy rims for better braking. Original tire pattern.
AB3AE2E7-7572-4E15-8711-E13269E637ED.jpeg
F0D0196E-EAA9-4A42-A687-804E9959DEDC.jpeg

My first Breezer I clone.
B213FE32-8AFB-4A3C-8DC1-F8B0FB522A56.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m currently building a clone like yours. I’ve been trying to decide weather to leave the forward facing drops or replace them with track style rear fork ends. I keep vacillating between leaving the drops alone, which would be easiest, or doing another track style replacement. I did that type if replacement once and they are a lot of work. Your beautiful result is inspiring me to start working on my second one again. View attachment 219986
View attachment 219988View attachment 219989
View attachment 219990
View attachment 219991
My current Breezer 1 clone, I’ve been fussing with it for about 11 months. The laterals are made from junk bicycle chain and seat stays brazed end to end.View attachment 219992View attachment 219993

View attachment 219994
View attachment 219996
View attachment 219995
View attachment 219997
The wheels using steel rims as original. Most people replaced the steel with alloy rims for better braking. Original tire pattern.View attachment 219998View attachment 219999
My first Breezer I clone. View attachment 219987
Thanks for the complimentary feedback. Your first clone looks really good. I can appreciate how much work it can be to modify the drop outs to track style. I guess it boils down to how much time you want to spend on it and how closely you intend to replicate the original. I have daydreamed about building a more exact replica, but it remains for me just a dream.

Thanks for the complimentary feedback. Your first clone looks really good. I can appreciate how much work it can be to modify the drop outs to track style. I guess it boils down to how much time you want to spend on it and how closely you intend to replicate the original. I have daydreamed about building a more exact replica, but it remains for me just a dream.
Yours looks real good. Very few would notice the drops. That’s why I can’t decide. Is it worth converting them when no one knows it’s not like the original? Atomic Zombie built a clone years ago and posted it on this forum. I think it’s a good thing to build these clones.

I’m currently building a clone like yours. I’ve been trying to decide weather to leave the forward facing drops or replace them with track style rear fork ends. I keep vacillating between leaving the drops alone, which would be easiest, or doing another track style replacement. I did that type if replacement once and they are a lot of work. Your beautiful result is inspiring me to start working on my second one again. View attachment 219986
View attachment 219988View attachment 219989
View attachment 219990
View attachment 219991
My current Breezer 1 clone, I’ve been fussing with it for about 11 months. The laterals are made from junk bicycle chain and seat stays brazed end to end.View attachment 219992View attachment 219993

View attachment 219994
View attachment 219996
View attachment 219995
View attachment 219997
The wheels using steel rims as original. Most people replaced the steel with alloy rims for better braking. Original tire pattern.View attachment 219998View attachment 219999
My first Breezer I clone. View attachment 219987
Your build is going real well. I'm not a fan of rear mounted track style dropouts. I own one bike with rear dropouts and they are a major pain when dismounting the wheel. But your bike turned out really nice. Good work.

Your build is going real well. I'm not a fan of rear mounted track style dropouts. I own one bike with rear dropouts and they are a major pain when dismounting the wheel. But your bike turned out really nice. Good work.
The original Breezer I had campy track rear fork ends. Small detail.

Back