The Colson Clone-video added 1-1-08 (Happy New Year to all)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Colson Clone

Work continues on the Colson clone.

Here is a shot of the mock up with a few more parts added.

mockup.jpg

Then today Paul took it apart, painted it, and got it back together again and rideable - even though not yet fully done.

Here are a few shots of the almost complete bike.

bl4.jpg

bl1.jpg

bl6.jpg

I'm still waiting to hear from Paul on how the bike sits, how it rode, etc., but it's looking good anyway.

Got a last minute update from Paul that he got the Nexus shifter hooked up on it and the grips on so it's pretty much done now.

He said it sat great and also rode great, so he's really pleased with the way it turned out.

.... cool! How much centimeters is the distance between the middle of the seat and the middle of the crank? Seems that the bike has really adult dimensions... *allthumbsup*

wow, i think for my new years resolutions its going to have to be to learn how to weld. that is an awesome stretch :shock: :D :shock:

I hate to say this :roll: Do you have any riding pics? It would be nice to see how a body fits on the bike.
Man, that really looks cool. I can see a whole line of repop frames with the forward bottom bracket, frame plates, etc...That would be a fun little boutique business. I too, need to learn how to weld.
RRDad, does Paul use a jig while he is welding, or is he an old-school eyeballer? After going back and looking at the mock-up pics, he has some pretty snappy welds. Is he brazing, or stick welding?

jeff

Very nicely done :D Good proportions. It's subtle and simple. I like it a lot!

-Mp

Re: The Colson Clone -video added 1-1-08 (Happy New Year to all)

Okay, on the questions, the distance from the center of the crank to the center of the seat - as it's adjusted now - is 66 cm. Now you have to understand that cm is kind of a foreign measurement for us Texans. We usually measure things in acres. :D

Paul does setup the parts in the jig he built and he's using a mig welder to do the welding. He said he has to tack things on each side before doing any final welding or otherwise the parts will get out of align on you. So you can't do too much welding on just one side and still keep things straight.

Once the welding is done there is lots of grinding to get things smooth and getting into the places to grind can be a challenge at times. So that dictates how tight of an angle you can put in things - assuming you want to be able to get back in there and clean up the welds. Paul wore out one angle grinder already and he's now working through number two.

The other thing I learned is that you have to have several other tools to do it right. He has a drill press and a porta band saw and he uses both of those to do various things - cut the tubes, build brakcets, etc.

This one is done, so here are some shots of the finished bike and also a video. And yes, that's a coat he has on since it got cool here in Houston last night - down into the 30's. Fortunately it will be back up to 50 during the day today.

Oh, one last disclaimer. No actual Colson's were harmed in the production of this bike .... :lol: :lol:

CLONE1.jpg

CLONE2.jpg

The bike and the video look awesome....turned out to be a very very cool bike.

I can definitely see a market for these frames...I know I'd like to have one. :wink:

this really has me thinking. i love the idea of paterning a custom frame off of a vintage frame. a friend of mine is very interested in getting into frame building i think there is a market here to be had for all. awsome work cant wait to see this one done.

Cool and sad to see the gears turning in karfer's head from 2007. Today they held a Celebration of Life in Sacramento for Adam (karfer), who we lost last month. Tomorrow is his Memorial Ride.

It's a shame that all of these @Uncle Stretch ride videos are lost because of Photobucket.

Back