The excitement builds

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have one 7 speed coming Monday and then the second one on Tuesday. I don't need either
but I'm as excited as a little kid at Christmas. Is it just me or is all the people that bought parts
going goofy over waiting for their stuff?

I can't wait to try my 7 spd out...I'm gonna relace mine to a steel chrome rim though..
Also have a part coming to make jockey shift easy..Also got my seatpost for my JetFlow today
from slowrider...

I wish I could afford a bunch of those hubs. Single speed coasters are nearly useless in my 'hood. In fact, the street goes uphill both ways from my house! -Adam

At $100 shipped I couldn't resist. I bought two and no front. I figure I can take one of them and delace it . Then lace
it to a front hub and have a matching set of rims. The extra 7 speed can be laced to other rims.

I'm ready to get the 3 speeds I bought too.

Looks like a few of us (me included) will be learning to lace wheels. :D

The truing is the tricky part. I've only done one set and got them pretty close but took them to the LBS to get them perfect. If I had a real truing stand and more time I probably could have gotten them right myself.

NicksGarage said:
The truing is the tricky part. I've only done one set and got them pretty close but took them to the LBS to get them perfect. If I had a real truing stand and more time I probably could have gotten them right myself.[/quote
Me too.....

Peatbog said:
Rustinkerer said:
I wish I could afford a bunch of those hubs. Single speed coasters are nearly useless in my 'hood. In fact, the street goes uphill both ways from my house! -Adam

My street goes downhill both ways and I can never get home. Really bums me out sometimes...

At least you guys have a street. I live on a gravel road. :| Gary

Uncle Stretch said:
Jerry go to youtube and watch the video. Really not that hard to lace one. :wink:

Thanks, I will. I'm thinking if I only take one set apart at a time, I can get the spokes right.
is there any difference in how the fronts and rears are laced? (i've never noticed).
guess i'll finally build that getto truing stand now. :D

jerrykru said:
...is there any difference in how the fronts and rears are laced? (i've never noticed).
Jerry, I recently accepted the challenge to do my first unassisted hub lacing. It went great but I did have to remove the sprocket off the new hub in order to get all the spokes in the holes. The spokes slid right out of the old hub with no problems, but obviously the new hub must have had a slightly larger diameter sprocket. I probably could have wrestled them into place but I painted them while they were removed and it was scraping some of the paint off. Other than that it was pretty uneventful.

Envious of you guys who got all the great deals! I ran into a snag of "however much you spend on bike parts I get to spend on clothes" from my bride! I pondered the economics of that for an extra 24 hrs and missed out! I won't miss "The Sale - Part II".

I'm excited about getting my 7 speed wheel set, but I have nothing to put them on. :lol:

More than likely I'll be saving them for the build off.

I just need to find a frame...and forks...and some bars, a crank, a stem, a seat & seat post...a sprocket and some pedals. :lol:

I got a 7 speed coming Thursday! Checked last night to get another...sold out. That was an awesome deal and my Dyno Glide will be able to go faster and jump higher!!! :wink: :mrgreen:

Dang Steve you are almost there.
Hey Jerry they are the same. The trick to lacing is to keep all the nipples screwed on the spokes the same.
When you finish they will be close to true. Take any high spot out and then start at the stem and tighten
them the same. Like one turn on each all the way around and then another turn on each. They are easy
to true if you don't do any of them different.

I am really looking forward to getting all those packages too. Just have to find a place to hide them from the wife.

Did anyone get one of the Nexus 8 wheels?

jerrykr said:
Thanks, I will. I'm thinking if I only take one set apart at a time, I can get the spokes right.
is there any difference in how the fronts and rears are laced? (i've never noticed).
guess i'll finally build that getto truing stand now. :D

And remember to put the valve stem hole in the right place--between parallel spokes and not in a triangle. Man, that doesn't make a lot of sense unless you have a wheel to look at.[/quote]

Thanks Peatbog,
I was aware of the valve stem issue.
I think I'm going to number all of the spokes starting at the valve stem just to be sure I don't get anything crossed.
just realized, I only have to take 2 wheels apart, not all 4 - duh! should be interesting.

Just do the cheating way....run black electrical around all the spokes and then take out the nipples.
Then put it back in the wheel your going to lace it to. Then put the nipples back in and true.
You wind up with it looking like a big fan and the spokes all stay in the same place. Hope that makes sense.

Uncle Stretch said:
....run black electrical around all the spokes and then take out the nipples.... Hope that makes sense.
Unc, you mean taping the spokes together where they cross, right?! Makes perfect sense and it's ingenious! What a great idea that should save signif time for novices like me!

Pudge said:
Uncle Stretch said:
....run black electrical around all the spokes and then take out the nipples.... Hope that makes sense.
Unc, you mean taping the spokes together where they cross, right?! Makes perfect sense and it's ingenious! What a great idea that should save signif time for novices like me!

Nice trick! Thanks for the tip!

Back