The excitement builds

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My "Pinkies" took a little bit of downsizing but I knew they'd fit no problemo(well, going from a 26" to a 24" isn't a big deal. Just need to cut and roll them down :wink: ):
IMG_0004-1.jpg

Yeah before I hear "Why didn't you make the rim?" My kid got me those and some others last Christmas so I figured I'd better use them!

What spoke threading tool do you use?

sensor said:
Hozan C-700. Here it is in action(Click the picture. V V V It should be a video):

Spent about $110 at my L.B.S. a few years ago and it's more than paid for itself 4 times over.

using that is a skill, I tried and I messed up all the spokes I put in the machine.

For anyone looking to get custom length spokes get in touch with [email protected]>

I found that guy to be the cheapest and excellent quality.

Boxes at the front door when I got home.

image2838.jpg

2 - 3 spds - 2 fronts - misc small parts.
shifters included, and the fronts have washers and acorn nuts.

Best price on a single nexus 3 set of 24's for the build off bike was $175 shipped. this order was right below $150. what a deal! :D

Sweet, I am supposed to get 10 boxes from them tomorrow, followed by 10 on Friday.

Can I expect the spokes of the 26" 3 speed rear wheel to be the same length as the 26" front wheel?

Pudge said:
Can I expect the spokes of the 26" 3 speed rear wheel to be the same length as the 26" front wheel?

You can bet that the front spokes will be longer than the rear.
Smaller hub, therefore more distance to the rim, therefore longer spokes.

kingfish254 said:
Pudge said:

Crud! I mean thanks Kingfish for the info, but crud! For a novice like myself who's only done one wheel relace I was hoping I wouldn't have to worry about the spoke length . I guess it's still doable if I can find a front hub with the same size flange as that of the 3 speed hub I'll be removing, if that makes sense. At any rate, I appreciate the info.

Look what Santa brought me. 10 wheels plus some goodies.

WP_000918.jpg

Pudge said:
kingfish254 said:
Pudge said:

Crud! I mean thanks Kingfish for the info, but crud! For a novice like myself who's only done one wheel relace I was hoping I wouldn't have to worry about the spoke length . I guess it's still doable if I can find a front hub with the same size flange as that of the 3 speed hub I'll be removing, if that makes sense. At any rate, I appreciate the info.

A lot of vintage wheels had the same length spoke front and rear. When I bought new spokes for a 50's Murray coaster brake, it took the same spoke for both wheels. If it is too long you could always do 4 cross, that's what I do. But its hit or miss, you'd have to try it to be sure

Gorgeous wheelset Chuck! I'm guessing you spent a fair bit of time polishing out those fatties.80 mm x 24" Rigidas? 8)

A buddy of mine bought and then sent to have polished said he paid $170 to have polished. They are nice would love to have for one of my projects bikes. Especially my recent Uncle Stretch Worksman Inb stretched frame.
Slick Rick said:
Gorgeous wheelset Chuck! I'm guessing you spent a fair bit of time polishing out those fatties.80 mm x 24" Rigidas? 8)

Back