The Fake Jaguar Thread

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rear suspension and frame is looking pretty good but there are some corners that are not clean yet.

Unfortunately I twisted my knee again while I was irrigating my trees. Consequently, I did not touch the car today.

I had just gotten to the point where I could ride a couple miles on my bicycle, and now I am limping again.

After a day of rest I am back on the case. The transaxle case, which I am slowly brushing into submission. There is still lots to do underneath. The bottom of the frame “fork” and trans.

I did some body work on the fork area where the builder had cut the top and bent it up to insert the shifter rod. Lots buggy builders did this when they put the body on before the rod, then couldn’t get it in.
12A19FEB-7171-4D44-B583-91501E5CE997.jpeg

It still needs some more work, but I shaved down the blobby welds and started tapping out the ripples.

7096D38D-E2F1-41AA-97C9-ADCAD6F818AB.jpeg

Meanwhile the transmission case is starting to look pretty nice on this side, but the other side is not quite as clean.

3F528354-1CC4-46A0-9193-76827A9E516D.jpeg

you are to be commended on your efforts, especially gettin hurt!... Me well two pairs of grips turned up today, unfortunately it coincided with comming home from my Hernia OP, im not allowed to lift anything over 5kg.....for 6 weeks Grrrrrrr so i went out to the shed and put some grips on the hot wheels trike! And that was it mate.....tooo sore, not a lot of energy, what used to be 10 good steps to the shed is now 40 small itty bitty baby steps! ive over done it, im back inside, probs wont see anything from me for a while now!
PXL_20230809_024955129.jpg

you are to be commended on your efforts, especially gettin hurt!... Me well two pairs of grips turned up today, unfortunately it coincided with comming home from my Hernia OP, im not allowed to lift anything over 5kg.....for 6 weeks Grrrrrrr so i went out to the shed and put some grips on the hot wheels trike! And that was it mate.....tooo sore, not a lot of energy, what used to be 10 good steps to the shed is now 40 small itty bitty baby steps! ive over done it, im back inside, probs wont see anything from me for a while now!View attachment 245303
I sympathize with you, last summer was my inguinal hernia op. Patience is hard. I can still slightly detect the mesh (it isn't painful). One person said they can still detect the mesh ten years later

The knee is feeling much better but I am taking it slow. Yesterday I cleaned up the trans mount and isolators. You can see I just propped the transaxle on 2 little wood blocks for now.
95C63C87-4B80-4599-A137-A9A73398ECD0.jpeg

Still cleaning up the trans case and right swingarm.
B80E9BC8-E32A-4453-87E2-9FF0B917C20F.jpeg

Today I will finish those isolators and put some paint on them & the trans mount

It’s 6 AM and I am sitting here looking at the build off votes.

I realize it’s starting to rain, and I have lots of bare steel outside that will flash rust.

I will have to go out and scrub it down with Scotch Brite and the phosphate treatment today. I was hoping to put this off until I had finished with the major rust. I am not quite there yet but I cannot delay.

I am not nearly ready to paint the chassis.

It’s 6 AM and I am sitting here looking at the build off votes.

I realize it’s starting to rain, and I have lots of bare steel outside that will flash rust.

I will have to go out and scrub it down with Scotch Brite and the phosphate treatment today. I was hoping to put this off until I had finished with the major rust. I am not quite there yet but I cannot delay.

I am not nearly ready to paint the chassis.
Awwww man, go grab it, do what you can, dont let that hard work go backwards.

Nothing much got done on the car this weekend. I had issues with my indoor/outdoor aquarium plumbing, the broken sump lids, and my rusty steel stand on the patio tank.

And I have a sick fish. Big tumor or cyst.
00370CBA-12DD-493D-9E49-0F293F303430.jpeg

This is the outdoor (or patio) system, which also filters the 125 gal indoor tank. Everything filters thru the 45gal Brute trash bin.
8393F310-AF81-49F5-B24D-6945D14F5402.jpeg

The brown barrel is for washing filter socks and recycling poopy fishwater onto my trees. My 5 redwoods are irrigated whenever I change water. This is the view of them from the pet cemetary but you only see two.
51D672AB-787C-4FAC-93F9-343A181CC1BF.jpeg

My patio aquarium stand was a big issue. Overloaded and rusting.

I removed a rusty lower steel rail, and dropped the sump to the concrete. That took 300 lbs off the stand. (It still supports 600 lbs.) I had to extend the plumbing 4”, and I made new styrofoam sump lids. Flow was reduced a bit so I added a third pump that I had on hand, to the sump.

I made new lids from styrofoam and white duck tape. I have much better access and they will keep out more dirt and leaves.

I made some .094” thick L braces and installed them to reinforce the stand. I sanded them before, but they aren’t painted yet.
A4AC5FF9-7A05-4FB2-978C-92C3229C51A2.jpeg

My stand really isn’t suitable for outdoor use. I need to build a better setup. I haven’t yet decided on the design.

Back on the fake jaguar.

I started building a big jackstand so I could flip the frame up side down after I take out the transmission.
A3FCDCCA-1AA7-4432-AC0C-80A09B4CDB19.jpeg

This pivot will allow the chassis to flip. It won’t be stable enough as a work stand, so I will put the chassis on jackstands upside down, before I climb on it.

572F73D0-1BD7-4C90-879E-46FA8DA55C10.jpeg

The painted metal came from a Pontiac Bonneville trailer hitch kit. The rusty weldment is the variator pulley clutch pivot from my dad’s old tractor.

CA0269BC-9781-4122-87A9-69CC4841671F.jpeg

And I drilled out one of the holes to 3/4 so I would get a close engagement on the stepped pivot, with no unnecessary overhang to make it bend.

comming along great, I see your hands are much better now and are able to get on with everything! I can see your foot there, I gave up thongs in the workshop a while ago, my toes love me for it he he he !

Yes, previously I was making rude jokes about poor guys welding in sandals, but here I am out there risking my toenails. LoL

Taking out the transmission by hand.
53531190-8943-4381-96F7-F8EF810693F3.jpeg

Bolting on the pivot
D846127E-FF55-4E48-B2AD-817629E9B5FE.jpeg

As you can see this is a total work of African engineering.
F3C3FAA7-CF85-4C79-867D-348F3F0918DD.jpeg

Halfway over!
31DCB0A4-A544-4E20-BF58-ADA7F90262B7.jpeg

Fully inverted. It seems like this has been a long time coming. The truth is I’ve been putting it off. I would’ve saved time if I had done this a week ago.
BD8B212D-BF6B-43EF-BD3B-17FFF916DA87.jpeg

WOW, Youve taken this right back to ground Zero, Have you thought about running a color scheme underneath, as in accented colors for all the big brackets and cross members etc, might add 6 months to the end time but your at the stage where its possible still and it will add $10k+ if and when you sell it! even being a replica people do appreciate hard work thats well done!

Thank you sir.

It certainly would’ve been ground zero, if I could get those big pivot bolts out of he swing arms, but there’s no way I can do that without torch work. So the arms will stay.

Also the rear brakes have new shoes and cylinders. They can stay together.

So fortunately the swingarm bushings are not rotten at all, so I am loathe to put a torch on them.

I’m just gonna leave the bottom black. I will save the detailing for the top side where it’s obvious.

This was Basically an un-drivable show car when purchased. I will make it drivable, and I will drive it but I will not sell it. This car will go to my daughter Tracy In a some years when I am too old to drive.

I think with all the things you have corrected and strengthened your car is going to be better than new.
and how clean is it, he's at the stage where he can use white gloves and at the end of the day they're still clean LOL! im enjoying watching this, ive always wanted to rebuild a car but its just too much work for me.....and im not a mechanic LOL

Back