The Galtbacken 18

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! :D

g kustom kuhl: I saw it as a challenge to try and make reflectors a nice part of the bike, instead of something that just looks out of place, like for instance those that are currently still in the wheels on this build. Glad you like what I came up with! :) And yeah, it's been a lot of work in a short time! I think I'll rest for a while after this one's finished. I won't keep up this pace all the time, then my energy resource would soon run dry.

Ed_Straker's_Rat: Cool! :D Get yourself some welding gear and do it! It's really a lot of fun! I'm still learning too, some welds come out nice and some others not so nice. But it's still fun, to learn and get better at something and get new ideas out of what you learn! :) Thank you for your kind words!!

Ok Gdcast, are you ready for a fender experiment?? :D Oh, and everybody else that's interested too of course! :wink:

I got the idea of trying to use something else than fiber glass for making fenders. Some weeks ago my mother was going to throw away an old bed cover, but I stopped her. "I'll try to make fenders from that!" The strange thing was that she didn't seem at all surprised, she just said "ok, sure!" :shock: Anyway, here's the first part of my attempt to make fenders from cotton... :D
skrm1.jpg

First I prepared the fender mold with car wax. Then I cut a strip from the old stretch fabric bed cover.
skrm2.jpg

Then secured it at the ends with string, stitched along the edges and tightened the string and tied it. Same on the other side.
skrm3.jpg

Polyester resin applied.
skrm4.jpg

When it had cured I sanded it down a little. Made sure I didn't sand all the way down through the fabric.
skrm5.jpg

Then I applied another coat of polyester. The fender was already a lot smoother this time! :)
skrm6.jpg

I repeated the process of sanding and applying polyester two more times, then it looked smooth enough to not need any filler whatsoever on it! That's where I'm at with the fendermaking as of now. I'll take it off the mold tomorrow and hope that it's strong enough to work well. If it is, then I don't know what would make me use fiber glass for fenders again because this process took so much less work and no itchy glass dust when sanded either!!! :D

Apart from that I also finished welding the fork trusses and the reflector brackets and I started on the sheetmetal pieces for the frame.
The template. I drew a new curve on it whan I'd taped it on, wanted it to arch a little more.
sidopltar1.jpg

Rough cut.
sidopltar2.jpg

Smoooooth!
sidopltar3.jpg

Then I felt tired and decided to call it a day. :)

We'll see what I have time to do on the bike tomorrow...

Good night! :)

iRide Custom Bicycles said:
Awesome work!! You must have a HUGE amount of patience to stop long enough to take pictures. When I build, I go until I have to stop for beer.
guess im not the only one :lol:
even if you dont agree with it what i said before still holds true :mrgreen:

man o man ,seening the frame welded up ,that curve on that backbone is sweeeeet.Yeah fiberglass is a mess to work with,sometimes i use sweatshirt material or speaker box carpet the black-grey stuff ,its pretty flat and both materials thick'n up when resin is applied ,if it is still flexing alittle ,just a thought, maybe you can lay some strips of fiberglass on the inside ,or more resin on the inside if it didnt soak threw all the way.The bike Gods raised there glass to you ,cheers. Now you gave me the urge to build another. Can't wait to see more pics,awesome work Galtbacken. :mrgreen:

Thanks everyone! :D

iRide Custom Bicycles said:
You must have a HUGE amount of patience to stop long enough to take pictures.

Well I'm very patient by nature I guess, at least most of the time. :) But taking the pictures doesn't take so much time...it's posting them here that does!! :wink:

sensor said:
even if you dont agree with it what i said before still holds true :mrgreen:

:lol:

metalman72 said:
i use sweatshirt material or speaker box carpet the black-grey stuff ,its pretty flat and both materials thick'n up when resin is applied ,if it is still flexing alittle ,just a thought, maybe you can lay some strips of fiberglass on the inside ,or more resin on the inside if it didnt soak threw all the way.

Cool! I can imagine that sweatshirt material works great for use with polyester resin, now that I know that cotton fabric can be used! The fender came out stiff enough I think and it had soaked through well too! Thanks for the tips!! :)

Gold Street Customs said:
thank you for the documentation.

You're very welcome! :) A few more fender pics further down in this post...

Rat Rod said:
You and ChopperOlli are mad men! :shock:

You two work with metal like it's clay.

I can only speak for myself, and all I can say is...yeah probably! :lol: It's a little harder than clay though. :wink: Oh, and Olli has a lot more experience with this stuff than I have!

SSG said:
Cotton-resin bodywork worked for the trabant, should work for a bicycle :mrgreen:

I thought they used some kind of wood fiber...charming little car! :lol:

Haven't done so much since last time, but I've done a little. Here it is:

Sanded the last coat of resin and got the fender off the mold and trimmed the edges roughly.
skrm7.jpg

skrm8.jpg

skrm9.jpg

skrm10.jpg

Here it is laid on the wheel to see a little what it might look like.
skrm11.jpg

I welded the sideplates on the frame. I think that I'll actually use filler on that detail of the bike. I want it really smooth, and to grind and weld and grind again will take a bit more time than I'm willing to give it...
rambygge22.jpg

Then I got a friendly warning that there was a weak point in the design of the bike, so to try to make it a little stronger I welded on this reinforcement. I don't now how much stronger it'll make it, but I hope it helps some.
rambygge23.jpg

I gave the Retro Racer the same treatment, but on that one I had to sand off paint, weld, apply and sand filler and paint that part of the bike again. :roll:

That's all for today!

awesome! and at least this time it was added BEFORE paint. :lol: i like the panels! they kind of look like.. bat wings, for some reason.

Galtbacken said:
I'm thinking of leaving the welds like this. Gives it a bit of a "performance machine"-look. I haven't decided 100% yet though...
rambygge21.jpg

Dude! Those look like TIG welds! :shock: But I know you use a flux core MIG welder! Did you get a TIG? That is the BEST MIG welding I've seen!! :mrgreen:

Thanks guys! :D

stretch: Yeah, things go easier when you do them in the right order... :lol: Maybe I'm building the -batbike and nobody's aware of it??!! :mrgreen:

bikeriderx: Nope no TIG, still the same old flux core MIG. I guess it might be an unorthodox way of welding with the MIG, but I do it like a kind of repeated flowing motion spotwelding thing. For each new spot I aim at the edge of the last one and when you get into the right rythm/pace it seems to burn through and distribute heat evenly. At least it seems so to me, and as you already know I am no expert in the field, still trying to learn what can be done and what can't. And I showed you one of the nicest looking ones...the all look ok, but sometimes the arch decides to do it's own "thing" and don't end up where I thought I was aiming and I have to file a little on some spots. :roll:

Here's picture proof of why I haven't done much progress with the bike lately :wink: :
sltter.jpg

And here's what I have done:

Brackets for the brakes.
bromsfste1.jpg

bromsfste2.jpg

Brackets for the rearfender and bikestand.
skrmfste1.jpg

skrmfste2.jpg

Made a different kind of cable guides than on the previous builds.
wireguide1.jpg

wireguide2.jpg

Mockup with two different kinds of bars. I think the straight one looks better, but the other one is slightly more comfortable. I'll see if I might be able to change the position of the seat a little and make it comfy with the straight one.
mockup2.jpg

mockup3.jpg

The wire for the rear derailleur broke when I test rode it, and that was the que for me to step back a little and see to other things around the house that needs to be done. So this build will slow down considerably for a while until I don't have to feel stressed about not having painted the house yet and installed a door and...you know how it goes! :wink: And the time I'll get to build on the bikes, I'll use to finish the Mustang...

I'll get back to this bike when things slow down! :)

man you just keep getting better and better.. I think if you did some work in a bike shop you would get some really good ideas mechanics- wise to boost your amazing herculean feats of aesthetic weld- powers! to my eye the shorter bike looks way better. some bmx/ single speed geometry combined with your look would make an amazing looking fast bike

Wow nice fender!!! impressive technique!!
So, is it hard enough? How does that car wax businesses work? Is it easier than the plastic bag? I´ll be dealing with Fibber Glass/cloth in a few days, so It would be great to know.

Great work as usual Galtbacken, you are the bike wizard.

Sorry I didn´t replied or commented earlier but I had no interest in touching a computer during my vacations. 8)

herr_rudolf said:
Looks to me you don't have to do a whole lot more to make this a cool bike... Love this stripped-down bike already.
8)

Thanks! :) Even though I've already finished a lot of the bike, there's still plenty left to do... :roll: It's been good to take a step back and leave it for a while. It makes it easier to look at it more objectively, and I've got some ideas that will change things quite a bit. :wink: Just hang on, I'll get back to it when I've got some more spare time again!

Thanks JOScatRATrod! Wow! :D

Gdcast said:
So, is it hard enough? How does that car wax businesses work? Is it easier than the plastic bag?

Thank for the kind words! :) Yeah it seems to be hard enough, but I guess that will really show when I start using the bike. But my guess is that they'll hold up well!
The car wax is applied to prevent the polyester resin to stick to the mold. Just smear it on with a rag. It works really good!! I haven't tried the plastic bag method for fendermaking so I don't know, but I think that a plastic bag underneath the cloth and resin might make it not holding on enough to the mold and make it lose shape before it's cured...maybe?

Gdcast said:
Sorry I didn´t replied or commented earlier but I had no interest in touching a computer during my vacations. 8)

No need to appologise! That sounds like a good thing to me! :D

Great! I´m eager to try it! Sure It´ll turn out awesome.
Hope to catch up with work soon so I can start building. :roll:

I dunno Dude! Petter does most of his building on the front porch!! He just lives in the middle of a hay field... :lol:

bikeriderx said:
I dunno Dude! Petter does most of his building on the front porch!! He just lives in the middle of a hay field... :lol:
Well if any of you guys have ever been to brooklyn ny, its mostly apartment buildings. Still i'll try and find a way to build stuff like these bikes.

Back