The Indecision

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got my finger out and actually did some work on Indecision this afternoon! After much pressure on the crank tool managed to get the original cranks removed. Trimmed off all the cable eyelets and front and rear brake bosses. Mock up pic looks a bit more reasonable but I'm waiting on my bars to arrive from The USofA :) do have one annoying headache to deal with now though, the gorgeous French crank set doesn't fit the BB. The square drive is recessed in the cranks so the chain ring hits the frame long before the thing is tightened up. I now have three basic choices all of which are going to result in compromise and/or expense.
1, find a suitable crank set that will fit.
2, replace the BB with a longer axle.
3, reuse the original cranks and chain ring. (My least favorite option as the chain ring is 48t and the cranks are fat.)
7enydy8e.jpg

Also spent a little time and huge amount of elbow grease getting a shine back on the old ITM Italian racer stem, very pleased with the result too.
e3eda4ed.jpg
9a5e8u7u.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Racer stem looks good! Shame about the crank issue...

Luke.
That's an understatement Luke, didn't even think about that possibility when I bought them and they are sooooooo pretty too, especially with the V8 type polished pedals. The original cranks are in great shape, just fat n ugly with an enormous chain ring. Gotta sort this one and quick. :-(

I now have three basic choices all of which are going to result in compromise and/or expense.
1, find a suitable crank set that will fit.
2, replace the BB with a longer axle.
3, reuse the original cranks and chain ring.

4, Hammer a dent in the frame
5, Wide spacers to space the second(big) ring
this is assuming you use only the big one

4, Hammer a dent in the frame
5, Wide spacers to space the second(big) ring
this is assuming you use only the big one
Thanks the ideas OHP, hammering clearance into the chain stay is a non starter, the frame is light alloy and will likely split.
The big chainring is a one piecer with the 41t ring hollow riveted to it. I am concise ring sprinting the two and turning the large ring into a spider then fitting the small ring on the outside with chainring screws. I'll get my head clear over the next day or two. I have a couple of purchase choices I'm watching so will make a final choice before the weekend.

Uncle Fide is a happy bunny now, nice Mr UPS priority mail man has just delivered a lovely parcel from USA with a set of superb longhorn bars in it! :)

Uncle Fide is a happy bunny now, nice Mr UPS priority mail man has just delivered a lovely parcel from USA with a set of superb longhorn bars in it! :)

We need pics!

Luke.

Cool frame! I like the way the seat stays and top tube make one big smooth curve.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You'll have too wait a couple of days for update photos, have a load of old household stuff to clear out of the spare room and get advertised. Be patient.

Last edited:
Cool frame! I like the way the seat stays and top tube make one big smooth curve.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks Daddyar, I like it too, not only for the long curve but also that they're twin tubes. Gotta think a bit how I'm gonna fab and fit a suicide gear shift style brake lever. I've a side pull caliper that's going down on the chain stays via a bracket off the stand mount. Also have an idea for head badge but not sure I have the balls to do it. If it goes wrong the head will be bollox.

Indecision is gonna have to go on the back burner for a while. My daughter informed me last night that she needs her 8th Air Force bike done for 5th July. She has an event at the 95th BG Museum. I'll crack on again once hers is finished.

Looks like I'm not going to get Indecision finished any time soon. I have just finished my daughters 8th AAF bike and will be at her USAAF museum Americana show to present it to her this coming weekend. Work and home commitments are then taking the next two as well. Good luck to all and I can't wait to see the results.

Back