** The next build off 2024 **

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
benwilson_monowheel.jpg

I'm thinkin' this would have to be considered a step thru...

View attachment 277710

I don’t really know what I have here, but I am considering it this for the step thru class. I bought it for the head lights.

Nice score. Judging from the lights and the stickers, this looks to me like a ladies version of the Japanese counterpart to the American muscle bikes and German Bonanzarad aka "Bikes with Flashers". 🤘
Check out my "research" from BO17...
(and have fun with another YouTube-bike-wormhole) 😁😉

Doing research on bicycles sometimes sends you down some very weird wormholes...
As you know I will try to transform a vintage kids bike into my own version of a musclebike. From the same person that I got the workstand, I also got an adress of a workshop where I could get a bike and fork sandblasted and powdercoated for 65.- € which I consider a very fair price. So I thought about getting the bike powdercoated (a first for me) but immediatly felt sorry for the nice decals. So the next thought was; that mybe somewhere in the interwebs I could find the graphics to make my own decals without spending to much time doing designwork on the PC. So I consulted a well know search enging with the terms: "hope sports 6 speed" An here's where I landed:

https://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/cycleparadise/cpt-2005099103-bi-037637570.html
(you will probably need to fire up your trusted VPN and pretend that your in Japan, otherwise the site won't work...)
Someone was gonna sell the same bike for 21,890 Yen, but men, look at that chainguard: pure 70's insanity!
View attachment 192715
On the site with the search results of an image search several other wacky bikes caught my eye.... here we go wormhole...

According to the following site my kids bike was part of a big fuzz in Japan during the 70's and 80's, roughly translated as "bicycles with flashers":

https://middle-edge.jp/articles/I000192
This article explains the history of the trend:

https://middle-edge.jp/articles/t5MZK

It's really worth it to run both articles through a translation tool! Japanese seventies bike galore!
Here are a few videos I found on youtube about those bikes. It's getting pretty clear where the name of this trend came from...

(I think my bike is featured in this clip from 0:33 on, at least the rear rack seems to be the same...)

Have fun in the japanese 70's bike culture wormhole...

That’s a good score for $20. And that CWC is really cool. Should be fun!
I look forward to building both. I paid $65 for the CWC. I found a guy locally that is on FB RRB, but not sure if he is on the site. A builder as well. The CWC is screaming Klunker to me but I may go another way. I am finding the FB marketplace to be a goldmine. ✌🏻
One of the classes in the build off starting in September is step through.
Just sayin
I discovered the CWC and noticed he also had this cool Firestone. He didn’t want to move on the price of the wcw so I got him to bundle. I thought it would be a perfect step through for this next build. If I can score an Electra I am eying, it will definitely be on!

I look forward to building both. I paid $65 for the CWC. I found a guy locally that is on FB RRB, but not sure if he is on the site. A builder as well. The CWC is screaming Klunker to me but I may go another way. I am finding the FB marketplace to be a goldmine. ✌🏻

I discovered the CWC and noticed he also had this cool Firestone. He didn’t want to move on the price of the wcw so I got him to bundle. I thought it would be a perfect step through for this next build. If I can score an Electra I am eying, it will definitely be on!
So you will have your muscle entry and this step through you found? You are really racking up the build off street cred

So you will have your muscle entry and this step through you found? You are really racking up the build off street cred
I think I will attack the step through first if I can get the donor Electra bike. Could be a quick build minus pairing. The muscle bike would take more of my time. I would hate to have it DNF twice!😂

I think I will attack the step through first if I can get the donor Electra bike. Could be a quick build minus pairing. The muscle bike would take more of my time. I would hate to have it DNF twice!😂
You miss 100% of the shots you never take

~ John Wilkes Booth

😂

Back