The next build off? Plans for the future

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which would interest you?

• Off Road

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • Muscle

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • Skinny

Votes: 22 59.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
And the 'powers that be' told me April 1st was "too early" to begin tossing around ideas and feelers for the Annual RRB Build Off 18. :bigsmile:

Heck, it was still technically March when Iggy ( my new nickname for @ingola ) first made his wood post. 😗
Well somebody needs to talk about something interesting cuz I'm BORED and I pretty much only build in the build offs...

So this year I'm going to build a bike that has been a long time coming. I finally hit my milestone of a 100+ year old bike. "The Centurion" if you will. I will pay respect to the original bike, pay homage to the early days of Rat Rod Bikes, use a few tricks I have learned over the years, and build something that is both vintage and modern, radical but elegant, classy and sophisticated yet functional and simple.

Above all else I will follow the original rule. Build something cool and have fun. Winning is not the prize. The prize is what you build. Push the envelope of what you can do as a builder. Inspire others with your work. Create your own legacy. Good luck to everyone and may the best bike win. Get to plannin'.

How about a traditional build off. Stock frame and anything goes. I think this would be more inclusive and not as restrictive to build a certain way. Let creativity flow unrestricted. I don't plan to build with skinny tires because I'm a big guy unless you consider 2.5 wide skinny enough to not be disqualified, I don't plan to build muscle because that doesn't fit my bike's style, and off road isn't the vision I have.

How about a traditional build off. Stock frame and anything goes. I think this would be more inclusive and not as restrictive to build a certain way. Let creativity flow unrestricted. I don't plan to build with skinny tires because I'm a big guy unless you consider 2.5 wide skinny enough to not be disqualified, I don't plan to build muscle because that doesn't fit my bike's style, and off road isn't the vision I have.
Class 1 coming really soon

That's what we're doing. The traditional summer format. Class 1 class 2

I'm not sure how I feel about build offs anymore, but I do have a project in line. Might wait a few weeks to start it.

When is the next build off and of what type. Something followed me home today

Below
  • Bike build must begin on or after May 1st, 2023 This isn't a bike show...it's a build off competition.
  • The point is to build a bike and document the progress in the time frame given.
  • You can only enter one bike per class in the build off (can change bikes once if needed)
  • Start a new thread in the forum’s Build Off section and use the bike name as the post “Subject/Title.” Keep a running journal in your thread about your build.
  • Must include before, progress, and finished photos (all in one thread please)
  • Bike must be ride-able and human powered.
  • The Build Off #18 will begin at 12 am North American Central Time on May 1st, 2023 and Final finished bike photos must be posted in the “Finished Bikes” thread by 12 noon on July 31st, 2023.
  • Any questions about the build off must be submitted in the discussion section.
  • Please be courteous to others and do not fill their build journals with off-topic posts. If it continues after a moderator warning, your account will be nuked.
  • This whole competition is all in good fun. The whole point is to be creative, build something cool and have fun!

Class 1: Traditional Builds
This class is pretty much bolt-on, mix n' match parts, with no structural modification, i.e. cutting / welding, to the original starting frame. Very minor modifications are acceptable like adding brackets, grinding off tabs, etc. This is more of an old school build category created for folks who may not have pro level fab and welding skills. If it appears that your modifications are too extensive you may be asked to move to Class 2. Below is an example of a build that would fit in Class 1.

View attachment 227903

Class 2: Anything Goes
This class has no restrictions on frames and forks. Can be completely fabricated from scratch or heavily modified factory frames…feel free to go crazy!

View attachment 227904

* Electric or gas powered bicycles are acceptable submissions, but they must be pedal powered as well

*It is up to the contestants to interpret these rules set forth and enter the correct category

What class if a guy cut the cantilevers free from the seat post and yanked/stretched the whole frame with his truck? Asking for a friend...

Merle

What class if a guy cut the cantilevers free from the seat post and yanked/stretched the whole frame with his truck? Asking for a friend...

Merle

In RED 😉

Build Off Rules
  • Bike build must begin on or after May 1st, 2023 This isn't a bike show...it's a build off competition.
  • The point is to build a bike and document the progress in the time frame given.
  • You can only enter one bike per class in the build off (can change bikes once if needed)
  • Start a new thread in the forum’s Build Off section and use the bike name as the post “Subject/Title.” Keep a running journal in your thread about your build.
  • Must include before, progress, and finished photos (all in one thread please)
  • Bike must be ride-able and human powered.
  • The Build Off #18 will begin at 12 am North American Central Time on May 1st, 2023 and Final finished bike photos must be posted in the “Finished Bikes” thread by 12 noon on July 31st, 2023.
  • Any questions about the build off must be submitted in the discussion section.
  • Please be courteous to others and do not fill their build journals with off-topic posts. If it continues after a moderator warning, your account will be nuked.
  • This whole competition is all in good fun. The whole point is to be creative, build something cool and have fun!

Class 1: Traditional Builds
This class is pretty much bolt-on, mix n' match parts, with no structural modification, i.e. cutting / welding, to the original starting frame. Very minor modifications are acceptable like adding brackets, grinding off tabs, etc. This is more of an old school build category created for folks who may not have pro level fab and welding skills. If it appears that your modifications are too extensive you may be asked to move to Class 2. Below is an example of a build that would fit in Class 1.

download (7).jpeg

Class 2: Anything Goes
This class has no restrictions on frames and forks. Can be completely fabricated from scratch or heavily modified factory frames…feel free to go crazy!

028.jpg

* Electric or gas powered bicycles are acceptable submissions, but they must be pedal powered as well

*It is up to the contestants to interpret these rules set forth and enter the correct category

Don't mind Merle he's a figment anyway.
But I'm guessing he forgot about the CUTTING part...

Besides I'm building a Trick Trike Taco Truck,
In CLASS TWO.
GC.

Latest posts

Back